Play Book Tag discussion

The Glass Castle
This topic is about The Glass Castle
April 2018: Strong Women > The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls- 4 Stars (Listopia)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments This story is so outrageous it's almost unbelievable. Jeanette Walls strikes a chord between storytelling terrible childhood full of neglect and poverty- and unfolding her viewpoint both as a child and from her adult life looking back. She was very determined to not end up like her parents, and has succeeded in this- well enough to now share the story.

Altogether not the easiest read, but 100% well worth it. Her parent's absolutely INFURIATED ME. And there were many side notes and subjects that were casually mentioned- that I couldn't even believe. Throwing rocks at kids would cause such a scene nowadays, and Walls just glazed over that fact a just part of a bigger story.

This is strictly memoir, so it is story after story of Jeannette and family growing up. I really felt like we got a good sense of the people, the personalities, and the motivations (or lack thereof) behind the scenes. Given the subject matter, it is surprisingly easy to read- and fairly short at that as well. The only reason this isn't getting 5 stars from me, is because i felt the vignettes were felt like they weren't "going anywhere" at times. And after she moved to New York, everything seemed rushed to me.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9372 comments Great review on a very difficult even if well-written book.

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Good review. I loved this book. The parents infuriated me also, but when I read it I also noticed how the great the gather was at times in connecting with and teaching his kids, especially when they were younger. For me it lead to questions of, where is the line to call dfacs (department of family and child services) Are the kids better with parents like these or in the system? These are questions I have had to answer personally. Such a hard question to answer.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments I loved this one too and I agree about the parents - they were so frustrating! What a life but she's a survivor.

message 5: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 1403 comments I loved this book too. Truth is stranger than fiction for sure!

I didn't end up liking the follow-up book Half Broke Horses at all.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6405 comments I remember seeing her when she was on the book tour. I was amazed that she could forgive her parents for that upbringing!

Susie | 4488 comments I had same feeling as you when reading it Joy, needing to remind myself that this actually happened!