Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Monthly Author Q&A > 2018 May Q & A

Comments Showing 1-50 of 242 (242 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Melinda (last edited May 02, 2018 03:36PM) (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Hi, everyone. I have reached out to the authors with LIH books coming out this month and Have three coming. It will be the week of Monday May 7.
I enjoy our Q & A so thought I would try to keep it going . I will put up the information on Sunday May 6 so you all will know what books and the authors that have respond so far are Sherri Shackelford on Monday May 7, Janette Foreman on TUESDAY , MAY 8 and Rhonda Gibson will be Wednesday, MAY 9 .
Lisa Bingham is not available and has other commitments so we will talk about her book on Thursday May 10. On Friday, we will discuss what to do after the LIH line closes with the June publication.
See you on May 7.

message 2: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments cook thanks

message 3: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Ausjenny wrote: "cook thanks"

I am glad that you are coming Jenny

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky Smith | 679 comments Melinda wrote: "Hi, everyone. I have reached out to the authors with LIH books coming out this month and Have three coming. It will be the week of Monday May 7.
I enjoy our Q & A so thought I would try to keep it..."

THANK you!

message 5: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Great, Melinda! Thanks so much for stepping in to help keep the Q&A going! I have a question. Did you send out invitations? I don't know how you do that. Or even if an undesignated person can do so.

Anyway, I'll be here--God willing.

message 6: by Melinda (last edited Apr 30, 2018 10:23PM) (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments No invitations I am thinking using the invite people to let everyone know. To get the authors I just e-mailed or private message them on Facebook.

I will figure it out .
See you later Dorothy.

message 7: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Dorothy,
I figured it out. I had to create an event and that allowed invites to be sent to the group. Invite button is to get people to join but we just needed to let members know so that is what I used. thanks fo reminding me to do that. see you later.

message 8: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Thanks for the information. I guess one way is as good as another for sending out invitations.

See you next week.

message 9: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Hi, everyone! WELCOME to our May Q & A.!
This is the next to last month for the Love Inspired Historical line which we all will miss. We will discuss that on Friday.
Let's enjoy the authors and books for May.

message 10: by Melinda (last edited May 06, 2018 09:09PM) (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments This is the schedule
Monday, May 7 - His Substitute Mail-Order Bride by Sherri Shackelford Sherri Shackelford

Tuesday, May 8- Janette Foreman Last Chance Wife by Janette Foreman

Wednesday , May 9 -Rhonda Gibson Baby on Her Doorstep by Rhonda Gibson

Thursday, May 10 - Lisa Bingham Accidental Sweetheart by Lisa Bingham
Lisa is unable to be with us but we will discuss her books and if you have read her other books ,etc.

Friday, May 11- What would you like to do for the July Q & A?What authors have books coming out ,etc.

message 11: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments I would like to welcome , Sherri Shackelford to the May Q & A.
Sheri is a wife and mother of three, Sherri Shackelford's hobbies include collecting mismatched socks, discovering new ways to avoid cleaning, and standing in the middle of the room while thinking, “Why did I just come in here?” A reformed pessimist and recent hopeful romantic, Sherri has a passion for writing. Her books are fun and fast-paced, with plenty of heart and soul. You can visit her website: sherrishackelford.com.

Her release this month is His Substitute Mail-Order Bride His Substitute Mail-Order Bride by Sherri Shackelford

It is available in paperback and e-book editions.

This is the blurb for the book:
Stand-In Wife

Russ Halloway’s mail-order bride never boarded the bride train! In her place is recently widowed Anna Darby Linford, sister of the last woman to jilt Russ. He’s surprised to see Anna again—and stunned when he discovers she’s pregnant. Marrying Anna seems the right thing to do...especially since love continues to evade him.

Anna hopes Russ will help her find employment—becoming a wife again never even crossed her mind. Yet as she struggles to start over in the small town, Anna forges a genuine connection with Russ. When secrets from her past threaten Russ’s future in politics, can they protect their family in the making?

message 12: by Melinda (last edited May 06, 2018 09:09PM) (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Sheri,
Where did you get the idea for this book? A substitute for a mail-order bride does make sense as the man would not know the mail-order bride.

Do you like writing in the time period of the 1860's?

How did you get to write a book in The Return To Cowboy Creek series?

message 13: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Hi Sheri,
Congratulations on your latest release! It sounds very intriguing!
What are you working on now?

message 14: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Shackelford (sherrishackelford) | 169 comments Melinda wrote: "Sheri,
Where did you get the idea for this book? A substitute for a mail-order bride does make sense as the man would not know the mail-order bride.

Do you like writing in the time period of the..."

His Substitute Mail-Order Bride is actually a part of a continuity series - which means Harlequin gave the authors the plots and the characters. It's both challenging and fun to write continuities!

With continuities, Authors are invited to participate. An author is always welcome to refuse, but I enjoy the process. As an aside, the publisher owns the copyright to the characters, so I can't write about Cowboy Creek unless Harlequin agrees. Just a fun fact!

message 15: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Shackelford (sherrishackelford) | 169 comments I don't know how the giveaways work on Goodreads now, but I'd love to giveaway a set of 'Return to Cowboy Creek'. Just in case this is a no-no these days, shhhhh! It'll be our little secret :)

message 16: by Melinda (last edited May 07, 2018 08:47AM) (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Sherri wrote: "I don't know how the giveaways work on Goodreads now, but I'd love to giveaway a set of 'Return to Cowboy Creek'. Just in case this is a no-no these days, shhhhh! It'll be our little secret :)"

I do not know how but I will see if I can find away. If Dorothy drops by maybe she can help. Sherri, we can work it out. t is nice of you to have a giveaway. Sherri , it is a set of e-books?

message 17: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Sherri wrote: "Melinda wrote: "Sheri,

Do you like writing in the ti..."

I am sorry that Harlequin owns the characters as I have enjoyed Cowboy Creek.

message 18: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Shackelford (sherrishackelford) | 169 comments Shannon wrote: "Hi Sheri,
What are you working on now?"

To answer both your and Melinda's questions...I enjoy writing about the old west, although I do try and avoid the Civil War when I'm writing books that aren't copyrighted by Harlequin.

While I'm fascinated by the history of the Civil War, I find it depressing to write about! Just one of those odd quirks I have, I guess.

Because Harlequin will no longer be publishing historical novels for Love Inspired, I'm currently writing suspense. My first book, No Safe Place, will release in January of 2019. It's definitely been a new and exciting adventure!

message 19: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Sherri,
What is the hardest part of writing in a continuities?
What are your plans for the future with your writing?

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky Smith | 679 comments Melinda wrote: "I would like to welcome , Sherri Shackelford to the May Q & A.
Sheri is a wife and mother of three, Sherri Shackelford's hobbies include collecting mismatched socks, discovering new ways to avoid c..."

Welcome, Sheri! Wow! Seeing the sister of the last woman to jilt him sounds like a shock! Does Russ have to overcome and forgive her for what her sister did to him? I'd like to read more about the "bride train". Were there actually trains that brought mostly mail-order brides?

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Sherri wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Hi Sheri,
What are you working on now?"

To answer both your and Melinda's questions...I enjoy writing about the o..."

That's great to hear! It was tough news when they dropped the historical line. I am glad you got to stay within the company. Prayers and blessings as you begin this new segment of your career!

message 22: by Paula (new)

Paula Shreckhise | 74 comments I’m sure giveaways are OK. I won a book from Lyn Cote and one from Dorothy. Clark.

message 23: by Melinda (new)

What has been different for you as you write suspense compared to a historical?

message 24: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Paula wrote: "I’m sure giveaways are OK. I won a book from Lyn Cote and one from Dorothy. Clark."

Paula, Giveaways are fine . Just have to figure things out as we go.

message 25: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 558 comments Hi Sherri!
When you write in a continuity series like this, do you and the other authors chat? Read each other's books? Or is there someone at the publisher that keeps the continuity?

message 26: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Shackelford (sherrishackelford) | 169 comments Becky wrote: Were there actual bride trains"

The bride trains are purely fictional, as far as I know! Women were scarce in the old west, and men were scarce back east after the Civil War. There were lots of enticements to lure women - I'm pretty confident they offered free tickets at the very least :)

Poor Russ has had a rough couple years, but don't worry--he gets his happily ever after!

message 27: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Shackelford (sherrishackelford) | 169 comments Shannon wrote: "Prayers and blessings as you start this new career..."

Thank you!

message 28: by Paula (new)

Paula Shreckhise | 74 comments How much information do you get from Harlequin for a new book? Just characters , plot, setting?

message 29: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Shackelford (sherrishackelford) | 169 comments Melinda wrote: "Sherri,
What has been different for you as you write suspense compared to a historical?"

Great question! The pacing is much different in suspense. The word count of the line is shorter too. The story has to be much more focused and tight, which means there isn't as much time for deep character development. The concentration is more on the external forces than the internal forces.

message 30: by Paula (new)

Paula Shreckhise | 74 comments Since Historicals are going away and you are goibg to write suspense ( yay another favorite genre) can they be time slip or historical but suspenseful?

message 31: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Shackelford (sherrishackelford) | 169 comments Andrea wrote: "Hi Sherri!
When you write in a continuity series like this, do you and the other authors chat? Read each other's books? Or is there someone at the publisher that keeps the continuity?"

We definitely read each other's stories and chat. Although sometimes things get crazy with everyone being on deadline! That's probably the hardest part for me - letting people read rough drafts- especially when you're writing with authors who are such amazing writers! (Like Karen Kirst and Cheryl St.John.) It's really intimidating.

The hardest part is trying not to step on each other's toes. In the first continuity series, I read a plot point wrong. I thought my hero had been engaged before - when he'd only dated the woman. The author who wrote the third book was (obviously) surprised (and probably annoyed)! Thankfully, the plot point was minor enough, she was able to easily adjust her book. But that was definitely embarrassing for me.

message 32: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Shackelford (sherrishackelford) | 169 comments Paula wrote: "How much information do you get from Harlequin for a new book? Just characters , plot, setting?"

Thank you!"

These are all good questions! When I write a continuity series like this one, I get what's called a 'bible' from the editor. The 'bible' has plot and character descriptions for my book, as well as a synopsis for the other two books in the series.

When I submit a book on my own - it's *all* me! In that case, the editor input comes after I submit the proposal.

message 33: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Hi Sherri! It's good to see you here! You were wondering if it was still all right to give away a set of books. The answer is absolutely! Because of the Q& A events being 'touch-and-go' for the last few months I am no longer in charge of the giveaways--there are three steps. 1.) Select your winner by whatever method you choose. 2.)Notify them of their winning your books via their Goodreads inbox and ask them to send you their full name and mailing address. 3.) Send them the book(s) they won.

Now, I have a question for you. I know that when you write a book in a continuity series there is a "link" between all of the books being written by the different authors? What is the "link" that ties the books together in this continuity. Also, which number in the continuity is your book?

message 34: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Sherri wrote: "Melinda wrote: "Sherri,
What has been different for you as you write suspense compared to a historical?"

Great question! The pacing is much different in suspense. The word count of the line is sh..."

Thanks. I will pay more attention to the focus when I read the different books now.

message 35: by Melinda (last edited May 07, 2018 11:48AM) (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Dorothy wrote: "Hi Sherri! It's good to see you here! You were wondering if it was still all right to give away a set of books. The answer is absolutely! Because of the Q& A events being 'touch-and-go' for the las..."

Thanks for explaining the giveaways Dorothy.

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 236 comments Good afternoon! Sorry I am late! It is finals season here so goodreads has been on the back burner! I love the blurb for this book! How interesting! I’ve always loved Mail Order Brides and marriages of convenience! Is this the first book in the continuity series?

message 37: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Amanda,
Glad you could join us.When are you done with Finals?

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 236 comments Melinda, not yet. Next Tuesday is the big day but this week is when all the papers and final assignments are due. Studying now because my last test of the semester is tomorrow morning so I’m popping in when I can! Can’t wait for summer break, that’s for sure!

message 39: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Shackelford (sherrishackelford) | 169 comments Dorothy wrote: "Hi Sherri! It's good to see you here! You were wondering if it was still all right to give away a set of books. The answer is absolutely! Because of the Q& A events being 'touch-and-go' for the las..."

Thank you for the help on the giveaway! To answer your question, the 'link' between continuity books is usually a plot point. In the first 'cowboy creek' series, there was a gang of bad guys that was terrorizing the town. In the new set of books, there is a similar, but slightly different, overarching chain of events that binds the books together.

message 40: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Shackelford (sherrishackelford) | 169 comments Amanda wrote: "Good afternoon! Sorry I am late! It is finals season here so goodreads has been on the back burner! I love the blurb for this book! How interesting! I’ve always loved Mail Order Brides and marriage..."

Finals are tough! Hang in there :)

message 41: by Melinda (new)

Did you decide to try suspense or was it suggested to you by someone? will you write more historicals? If you do will you self-publish?

message 42: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 97 comments Sherri, is it possible that the publisher might allow you to do a suspense set in modern day Cowboy Creek with the descendants of the other folks? ;)

message 43: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments How are you finding writing suspense after writing historical. I guess there are some elements the same as I find many LIH have an element of suspense or cosy mystery in them.

message 44: by Melinda (last edited May 07, 2018 06:42PM) (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Hannah wrote: "Sherri, is it possible that the publisher might allow you to do a suspense set in modern day Cowboy Creek with the descendants of the other folks? ;)"

Hannah,
I love your question because I really like Cowboy Creek.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments Hey everyone, I already have the books so don't enter me. I don't have any questions but could you guys send my family some prayers. My Dad had a heart attack on Saturday night. It was minor and should be able to come home tomorrow. But we will have some changes to make. Thank you guys!

message 46: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance wrote: "Hey everyone, I already have the books so don't enter me. I don't have any questions but could you guys send my family some prayers. My Dad had a heart attack on Saturday night. It was minor and sh..."

I'm so glad your father's attack was a minor one, Laura. I'm praying for a full recovery, and that every thing goes well with the changes that will have to be made. It's not easy changing lifetime habits...

message 47: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance wrote: "Hey everyone, I already have the books so don't enter me. I don't have any questions but could you guys send my family some prayers. My Dad had a heart attack on Saturday night. It was minor and sh..."

Laura,
Praying for your Dad and Your family as well as wisdom for the doctors. Let us know how it goes. Thanks for letting us know.

message 48: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Shackelford (sherrishackelford) | 169 comments Hannah wrote: "Sherri, is it possible that the publisher might allow you to do a suspense set in modern day Cowboy Creek with the descendants of the other folks? ;)"

That would be awesome! I don't know if they will, but the other authors and I can always ask. Hey - all they can say is 'no', right?! :)

message 49: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Shackelford (sherrishackelford) | 169 comments Melinda wrote: "Sherri,
Did you decide to try suspense or was it suggested to you by someone? will you write more historicals? If you do will you self-publish?"

I'd always wanted to try suspense, and with the historical line closing - it seemed like the right time. My schedule had opened up :) I definitely enjoyed the process of writing something different--but those westerns will always be my first love!

message 50: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Shackelford (sherrishackelford) | 169 comments Ausjenny wrote: "How are you finding writing suspense after writing historical. I guess there are some elements the same as I find many LIH have an element of suspense or cosy mystery in them."

The process has been challenging - and I'm still learning! It's almost like starting from scratch. The pacing and the plotting are different. I kinda got used to the pacing of historicals. Then again - writing is never really easy. At least not for me! I always second guess myself :)

« previous 1 3 4 5