UHS Honors English 9 P2 2017 discussion

The Glass House

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shivani (new)

Shivani Shah | 7 comments The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls Shivani Shah
The Glass Castle is an interesting true story about Jeannette Walls and her deteriorated family. Jeannette Walls was born April 21, 1960. She was a gossip columnist for MSNBC and became an author to tell her the story of her unusual childhood. The Glass Castle, published in 2005, was on the New York Times Best Seller list in 2018 and stayed there for 411 weeks. This emotion evoking novel takes one one a wild ride from beginning to end. Since everything is so personal, one can really see the genuinity in her writing. I immensely enjoyed the writing style and how Walls takes one along with her on this journey.
Walls has two sisters, Lori and Maureen, and one brother, Brian. Her father, Rex, was an alcoholic and her mother, Rose Mary was a painter with a useless college degree in teaching. Rex had so much potential to become an inventor but he didn’t have the drive to as alcohol always got in the way. He would take the little money the family had, and disappear for a few days and return with no more money. He always had said that he would build the family a Glass Castle, therefore the book title. He had the floorplans to do it, he just needed capital and never got enough money due to alcohol. Her mother loved to paint and would also say she would sell them for money but never did. She would rather starve herself and her family rather than get a job with her degree. The one time her mother did get a job, Walls’ and her siblings had to force her to get
Shah 2
up in the morning and help her grade. This was so upsetting because it seemed like her parents didn’t care and were purposely putting their children in danger. The siblings were often left to fend for themselves and starved throughout most of their childhood. Between moving around running from debt collectors, they at one point, lived in a small house with no plumbing or heating, but instead plenty of snakes and rats. Despite their unusual childhood, it is clear there is unconditional love throughout their malfunctional family.
Overall, I thought this was an amazing book and I am happy I chose it. Walls has the ability to take the audience on her journey with her and take control of our emotions. It was very interesting to see firsthand a completely different life from my own. I find it interesting to see how people deal with certain situations and face complications. It did start to drag on a little but I think that it didn’t hinder the novel, instead it showed the repetitiveness of some days to the unpredictability of others. At some points I hated some characters and at others, loved them and ached for them. I liked how Walls never threw any of her family under the bus, she instead looked through the flaws and saw the best in them and that’s what i think family is about, unconditional love.

message 2: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Baker | 8 comments The book definitely sounds quite riveting. Mostly, books involving the main concept to involve anything beginning with “a heart-warming tale” I would run away from before you could say, “grab the tissues”. This book seems quite interesting though, for a change. I always enjoy a good writing style, and I can appreciate a double-meaning piece. I could most definitely find myself reading this, and possibly even enjoying it. Hopefully the book can really evoke some questions on the grounds of family, love, and domestic violence, as promised. Above all, it definitely sounds amusing.

message 3: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Garcia | 9 comments The book review that you presented for this book definitely grabbed my attention. Non-fiction books are not my forte, but this one that shows a peak into how someone had to get through their childhood compare to say, how we may have gone through our childhood. I can say that i really do enjoy a writer that can let all of these things out freely to say it how it was. Not only do books like this allow the author to show raw emotion, it may give a chance for someone that may have experienced the same thing to relate, and give them courage to raise awareness or open up. This book may be one that is hard to get through, it seems like it would be worth the read.

Matthew Spurlock | 8 comments This book honestly sounds like a rollercoaster from start to finish. It seemed like at first there was going to be a major silver lining physically for the family but in reality, all they had was each other since the conditions were bad and their parents didnt get jobs. Its unfortunate and sad from what i can tell but its also very intriguing that instead of sugarcoating what happened they tell it how it was. Its different from other story’s in that it doesn’t seem like they make it a super positive topic to read which isn’t necessarily bad, it just shows that thats the reality of some situations.

message 5: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Mitchell | 8 comments I don't think would typically be the type of book I would read, but I think this one is different. I know that there are plenty of heart-breaking stories about dysfunctional families because I must have read half of them by now. But this one seems interesting because you said that you can still feel attached to the characters. Usually by the end of one of these stories you feel that the world is messed up, and for the most part aren't relatable. But we all have those people in our lives that we still manage to love and care for no matter how much they mess up, most of the time because they are family. However, the grave matter of the story is not disrupted in any way. I would definitely read this book, because of how unique it is.

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily Masursky | 8 comments this book sounds very good. usually i do not reach for autobiographies or non fiction books when choosing what to read but this is a very compelling story. i like the way you describe the story by not revealing to much but inviting me in to the story. another thing i liked was having the statistics in the beginning. furthermore, i like how you explained the titles meaning. overall, this sounds like an incredible story of perseverance and i will definitely give it a try.

message 7: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Todd (Alwayswatching) | 8 comments This book sounds very interesting. I liked the way you described the characters traits, including how Walls never threw anyone under the bus, and the descriptions of Rex and Rose Mary and how they were both talented and flawed. I also appreciated the part where you talked about how unusually hard their life was, but that they still held that unconditional love. They seem to show a certain amount of resilience hardiness that I appreciate. This type of book, a non-fiction autobiography, isn't something I would normally grab when looking for something to read, but this book may be worth a try.