Mariana's Bookclub discussion

DISCUSSING - Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariana (last edited Apr 27, 2018 11:50AM) (new)

Mariana | 17 comments Mod
Hello everyone! May's book will be Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
This book was nominated for Goodreads Choice Awards for Best Fiction in 2017 and so many people are talking about it that I thought we could give it a go :)

Amazon: https://goo.gl/HmAANq
Book Depository:https://goo.gl/ntGBNQ

*Links are NOT affiliate links.

message 2: by Alejandra✨ (new)

Alejandra✨ | 1 comments Yesss!!! 🙌🏻🙌🏻

message 3: by Trent (new)

Trent Damon | 4 comments Looking forward to it!

message 4: by Carina (new)

Carina Freitas | 2 comments I've already ordered the book. Anxious to get started!

message 5: by Boo (new)

Boo Radely | 3 comments Just got it in the post and I'm going to start it tonight!

message 6: by Mariana (new)

Started the book today! Loving it so far, already had a couple of laughs

message 7: by Trent (new)

Trent Damon | 4 comments I know right! I'm on chapter 11 and it's so addicting.

message 8: by Mariana (new)

Trent wrote: "I know right! I'm on chapter 11 and it's so addicting."

No idea where this book is going but I'm loving the fact that it has dark hidden references all throughout while still staying fast-paced and hilarious

message 9: by Amela (new)

Amela | 2 comments I've listened to this book on Audible few months back, but will do it again to refresh my memory. Laughing and empathizing with Eleanor all over again.

message 10: by Mariana (new)

Eleanor's speech constantly reminds me of Sheldon from TBBT. Am I the only one? Lol

message 11: by Débora (new)

Débora I started it today. I'm intrigued with what happened in the Eleanor's past, but I'm not liking her very much :/

message 12: by Trent (new)

Trent Damon | 4 comments Whenever I picture Raymond in my head I picture actor Brian Posehn for some reason 😂😂😂

message 13: by Boo (new)

Boo Radely | 3 comments @Debora Really? I think she's quite amusing- truthfully she does point out a lot of things that are odd but are quite normal -- though she has got more likeable as the book goes on

I'm loving the mystery element - can't wait to find out about what happened in the past ! I started today on page 100 and I'm almost finished 😂

message 14: by Mariana (new)

OMG guys just finished the book. I want to cry and I want to know what happens next in Eleanor's life but I feel like Gail Honeyman ended this in a right note and I'm glad **MINOR SPOILER ALERT** she didn't move certain relationships forward just for the sake of a conventional novel

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Just bought it today! Looking forward to start it!!

message 16: by Bhuvan (new)

Bhuvan (timesofbhuvan) | 1 comments I saw it on top of the amazon's best sellers list. Bought it and currently reading this book. I'm loving it.

message 17: by Mariana (new)

Has anyone finished the book?

message 18: by Leandro (new)

Leandro Braga Yes I did, last week. It's pretty fun book, had a great time reading it.

message 19: by Camille (new)

Camille (pastelunicorn) | 2 comments I started the book yesterday and less than 24 hours later I was done reading it. Eleanor's story is really sad and was very well written in my opinion. I am really excited to see what Reese Witherspoon will do with the book and can hardly wait for the movie to come out. PS : sorry if my grammar isn't perfect, English isn't my first language, french is :)

message 20: by Débora (new)

Débora I just finished it! I was surprised in the end. I understand why Eleanor is the way she is, she passed by very difficult and sad things, and I came to be used to her in the story but I continued to not like her very much. I think some things in the construction of her character don't convinced me completely...

message 21: by Amel (new)

Amel (baby-eiji) | 1 comments I listened to the audio book. I felt it was a bit hard to enjoy the story in the beginning but eventually got used to it. The ending made everything make sense I guess. I don't quite understand how this book became a best seller but feel the author did a great job writing Eleanor's character.

message 22: by Boo (new)

Boo Radely | 3 comments I finished the book a while back but have been reflecting on it for a while - I think Eleanor as a character is interesting enough but I'd have preferred if they delved a little deeper in her transition into adulthood - yes we focused a lot on her development into someone new but I feel we skipped out on a lot of potentially interesting material e.g. her time ib uni - in foster care- her ex - what her Mom did exactly

The ending and reveal just felt a little rushed- especially with her Mom - it would have been a lot more enjoyable if the twist had been left out tbh because with it in - it's a little half baked- that being said it being there does underscore how deep Eleanor' s issues are but this only adds to the slight sense of disappointment at the exploration of hee trauma

Overall though the writing style was smooth and meant reading it was pretty easy and entertaining - I easily finished the book in 3 days or so

And I do think the themes the author chose to focus on aka loneliness especially in adulthood and the struggle to connect with others especially when you struggle with a lot of internal issued are very relevant and the book did force me to reflect on things in my personal life - I found myself rooting for her cause tbh we've all been in her position- at a social event and thinking to ourselves "What. On. earth?" whether it be in relation to what we've done or what others are doing

message 23: by Mariana (new)

Boo wrote: "I finished the book a while back but have been reflecting on it for a while - I think Eleanor as a character is interesting enough but I'd have preferred if they delved a little deeper in her trans..."

I completely agree with you. I would love to read a "prequel" on this. Although it may remove a bit of the mystery behind Eleanor's past, I think that it could have been so incredibly explored by a skilled writer such as Gail Honeyman.

I mostly felt that this book was cut in half by her editor. I could clearly see the "loose ends" that she probably had developed on in her first draft and then, for purposes of length and sales, were omitted from the final book.