The Perks of Being a Wallflower The Perks of Being a Wallflower discussion

Book Review 10

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bailey (new)

Bailey CoBen For my last Goodreads novel, I decided to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I choose to read this novel because I have heard a lot of good things about both the book and the movie and have yet to experience either one. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is narrated by fifteen-year-old Charlie who has just started his freshman year of high school. The entire novel is written as a series of letters similar to a diary because the person Charlie writes all the letters to never writes back. The letters are always addressed to an anonymous “friend” and the reader never finds out who they are. At the beginning of the novel, Charlie struggles with the suicide of his only friend from middle school and his Aunt Helen who was killed in a car accident on Charlie’s birthday, which is also Christmas Eve. As he begins high school, he becomes friends with Patrick and Sam. Sam and Charlie quickly develop crushes on each other. Towards the end of the novel, Charlie realizes that his Aunt Helen molested him as a child; a memory that he subconsciously repressed for many years. I think this novel is best suited for middle and high schoolers as it does contain mature content such as abortion and sexual abuse. I think middle and high school students of all genders would enjoy reading this novel.

Brianna This book really shows what teenagers go through and I personally think it is one of the most accurate high school books I've ever read. There is no cheesy love story and the characters are all very relatable.