UHS Honors English 9 P2 2017 discussion

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children Review

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Griffin Destroyer | 8 comments Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs is a dark twist on your everyday superhero story. This is due to a world full of monsters and children with peculiar abilities where one wrong move and the monsters would take your eyes. A majority of the story takes place in a remote island off the coast of Wales where young Jacob is trying to fulfill his grandfather’s dying request. Every page of this mind boggling fantasy gives a dark and emotional feel and I really feel that Riggs did an excellent job of portraying that. The thing that is the most surprising is not the antagonists themselves but Jacobs’s personal struggle in his own mind.
The story begins with a boy named Jacob who grew up around his grandfather. His grandfather, who he believed at the time, told him these outlandish stories of his childhood which he later didn’t believe. When tragedy strikes and Jacob ends up at Cairnholm, Wales where the monsters from his grandfather’s story jump from his words and the children from his childhood walk and talk. His life will never be the same.
The most mind blowing part of this story was the amazing character development found in the story. An example would be “At the spot near the crest where I always stopped to see how far I’d come, this time I kept walking. Sometimes it’s better not to look back.” The story that revolved around the past and the future had so many heart-stopping moments and tales of love and tragedy that reading this book feels like an adventure. This book provides a tragic man-vs-self and man-vs-supernatural due to the mental conflict he had to overcome and the peculiar children and monsters he had to adjust to. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good adventurous story and mysterious, semi-romantic tale.

message 2: by Sean (new)

Sean R. | 8 comments This review made me take a whole new perspective on this story, because all I have heard about this book before is that it is about a bunch of children who have supernatural powers. Now, I am getting that there is a whole story within this book about a normal boy trying to get use to these supernatural children. That makes me more interested in this book because you say in your review that there is character development, and internal conflicts with the main character, and so on. I now think that this is a fully developed story that I would personally like to read, since it sounds like the area of reading that I prefer. Also, I think this s a well done book review that has now changed my opinion on this story.

message 3: by Thi (new)

Thi Truong | 8 comments As I'm reading your review, this book is sitting in one of my draws half read and I feel like getting another perception of the book really opened my eyes. I never really focused on the internal conflict that Jacob was feeling during the first half of the book because to me, it was just part of the plot that allowed his desire to go to Wales. Now that I think about it, it played a major factor in the decisions he made. After reading your review, I realize the development of Jacob through the story connects well with what the author displayed in the beginning with Jacob remembering the stories that his grandfather had told and him being so connected to those memories of his childhood that it created a conflict within him. I feel like continuing to walk toward the future in the present is an idea we should all connect with, but at the same time, I think that theres nothing wrong with looking back to the past because that is where we can learn from our mistakes. In this context though, the message the author was trying to convey was probably not to get attached to the past to the point where it creates conflict. I don't know if I'll continue to read the book but I'm left with something to think about. If you watched the movie, I was also wondering how accurate it is.