Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

General SF&F Chat > Books related to Sirius?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Will (new)

Will Emmons | 3 comments Looking for stories about beings, cultures and/or technology from Sirius and/or books about humans traveling to Sirius.

Off hand, I can think Olaf Stapledon's Sirius. Any other ones? Especially books published in the 19th and 20th centuries.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Siriusly? (Sorry, couldn't leave that hanging out there.)

One of Asimov's old Lucky Star series of juveniles had an invasion from Sirius, though it takes place in our own solar system, not around Sirius. If you're interested, I'll skim a bit and try to remember which one.

Peter Hamilton's recent Great North Road takes place on a planet (St. Libra, I kept trying to call it St. Lucia :) that orbits Sirius. It's a human outpost, and I think the book would have been the same if he wrote it orbited pretty much any star.

And of course in the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Marvin the Paranoid Android was manufactured by Sirius Cybernetics, so I suppose is Genuine People Personality makes him a native lifeform :)

message 3: by George (new)

George Hahn | 89 comments It's unlikely that the Sirius system has planets, but in my novella Voyage of the Capek, an automated exploration starship did stop there as a prelude to human visits.