Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Off topic > The Works

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ghost (new)

Ghost Whistler You know the place, that shop in town that's always having closing down sales and sells stationery and toys - and a lot of books.

In fact it has a reputation for selling books that aren't popular or (with a few exceptions, like LotR or GoT, probably because they are so popular in the culture).

And yet I've seen it has the last 2 books of NK Jemisin's Fifth Season trilogy, and the latest book in the Red Knight series.

I just found that kinda weird. Those are by no means poor authors and I;m given to believe they are successful books.

My only complaint is that they don't stock the whole of each series otherwise I'd have picked them up - 3 books for a fiver.

message 2: by Vinca (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1368 comments I found a signed James Barclay book there for £2.99 a couple of years back. Couldn't believe it. They often have good books in there, I've picked up a few gems over the years.

message 3: by Ghost (new)

Ghost Whistler Indeed. Those are good books, I just wish they had the other books on offer as well. Would love to pick up the fifth season books, ive heard only good things about Jemisin.

message 4: by Vinca (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1368 comments Ghost wrote: "Indeed. Those are good books, I just wish they had the other books on offer as well. Would love to pick up the fifth season books, ive heard only good things about Jemisin."

I think you're UK based, in which case, try Amazon if you've no major objections to buying from them. They've had those books for £2 pretty recently. I picked them up a few weeks ago.

message 5: by Ghost (new)

Ghost Whistler Er, isn't this a UK forum? That's why I posted this here! :D

Although I fail often, I do try to avoid dealing with Amazon. They may have stuff, but they are a barbaric company who treats their staff, particularly the poor sods in the warehouses, appallingly

message 6: by Vinca (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1368 comments Fair enough. I like to shop in real bookshops when I can too, but practicality sometimes wins and I order from Amazon.

This is an international group, we've got members from all over the place :-) Three books for a fiver could have been Euros, they could easily have similar deals in Ireland etc.

message 7: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1667 comments Mod
As a Canadian I feel deeply offended but the irresistible need to day sorry for some reason lol. I'm not actually offended.

message 8: by Ghost (new)

Ghost Whistler for some reason i thought this was a uk group

message 9: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
I think the location is set as UK because we had to choose a location and it's where us founding mods are from. But we're truly international ;)