Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > What are you reading July 28?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2060 comments Mod
I am on a rereading binge of Jennifer Crusie. Even her weakest books are so much fun. And her best books have something memorable on every page. And looking forward to 3 releases tomorrow including the new Pamela Morsi.

message 2: by Daniellegn (new)

Daniellegn | 195 comments Just finished silk is for seduction, about to start vixen in velvet, both by Loretta chase. I had already read the middle book in the series, scandal wears satin; I liked silk is for seduction best so far- Marcelline is amazing! :)

message 3: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1880 comments Mod
I love Crusie so much, Deb. She's also a St. Martin's author (different editor) and I made a total fool of myself when I met her at the SMP party a couple of years ago. But it's hard to remain composed in the presence of greatness. ;)

I'm on the third book in Andrea Kane's Forensic Instincts series, The Stranger You Know, right now. They're a lot like watching a crime tv series--a team of five freelance forensic experts (the computer whiz, the psychic, the ex-SEAL, the retired FBI guy, etc.) who step in when law enforcement can't get the job done. They even have a retired law enforcement bloodhound on the team. The reason I'm glomming is the romance between the psychic and the computer geek (who, natch is also into extreme sports so he's a hot computer geek). Not much romance to go on really, but I like the mix of romance with crime.

Weirdly, this is the second book I've read in the last year or so called The Stranger You Know. The other was by Jane Casey.

message 4: by Marita (new)

Marita (bluestockingandproud) | 43 comments Currently deep into Shannon Stacey's Kowalski Family series and loving it. It makes an excellent addition to the host of CR series' based in small towns and featuring awesome families/friends I've been reading recently. Jill Shalvis is still the queen naturally, but damn these Kowalski boys are something else! They've got loving families that raised them right, are well-mannered, professionally successful, so talented with (and attractive handling) tools, motorbikes and ATVs it's unfair, know exactly how to treat a woman-respectfully or otherwise ;)-and they're armed with ridiculously sexy baby blue eyes to boot! The unique blend of LOL-worthy dialogue, tear-jerking emotional intensity and searing chemistry also helps :) I mean have you ever ogled someone through a book? I'm only 20 and I'm having hot flashes.....

message 5: by Kritika (new)

Kritika | 40 comments Started The Chocolate Thief The Chocolate Thief (Amour et Chocolat #1) by Laura Florand .. Is quite entertaining..Enjoying myself! :) :D

message 6: by Christiana (new)

Christiana My reading speed has slowed down due to a house move and the old TBR pile is teetering dangerously! I'm enjoying Laura Lee Guhrke's How to Lose a Duke in Ten Days and just finished my first Susan Elizabeth Philips, Ain't She Sweet. I've read a lot of mediocre books lately and was glad to finally read 2 that are a cut above the rest.
Can someone recommend me their favourite LLG or SEP books please?

message 7: by Kritika (last edited Jul 28, 2014 07:53AM) (new)

Kritika | 40 comments I love Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips !!
SEP is one of my favorite authors. Some of my fave SEP reads are Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips , This Heart of Mine (Chicago Stars, #5) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips , Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and Breathing Room by Susan Elizabeth Phillips .

Ain't She Sweet by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips were also 5 star read for me.. but they are big tear-jerkers.. and that is saying something for me since i don't cry easily during reading books or watching movies!

So you can read any of these books or something from the Chicago Stars series or Wynette, Texas series.. although I did not like the latter as much as the former... So take your pick! :)
Happy choosing:)

message 8: by Christiana (new)

Christiana Kritika wrote: "I love Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips!!
SEP is one of my favorite authors. Some of my fave SEP reads are Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, This Heart of Mine (Chicago Stars, #5) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, [bookcover:..."

Thanks Kritika! I tend to steer away from sports romances... is liking football important in reading the Chicago Stars series?

message 9: by Kritika (new)

Kritika | 40 comments No.. I knew zero about football. Actually, what we refer to as football, Americans call soccer!
So, you don't have to worry about not liking football!

message 10: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments I'll second your reply, Kritika! Christiana, I read SEP's Chicago Stars books knowing little about football, and I followed along just fine.

My favorite of all SEP's books is Ain't She Sweet, which isn't one of the Stars books. But you can't go wrong with anything SEP writes!

Just got back from the RWA conference with a giant bundle of beautiful new books. Sherry Thomas was signing My Beautiful Enemy, so I HAD to get it. I think I will start with its prequel The Hidden Blade, then read MBE.

message 11: by Christiana (new)

Christiana Theresa, I loved Sherry Thomas' The Luckiest Lady in London and was rooting for her to win the RITA. Even though I love Sarah Maclean's writing, I loved LLiL more than No Good Duke Goes Unpunished. I bought the Hidden Blade; its in the TBR queue as is ST's backlist.

message 12: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments Christiana, you are in for some great books. ST's Not Quite a Husband is one of my favorite historical romances of all time.

message 13: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Christiana wrote: "Theresa, I loved Sherry Thomas' The Luckiest Lady in London and was rooting for her to win the RITA. Even though I love Sarah Maclean's writing, I loved LLiL more than [book:No Good..."

Yep, The Luckiest Lady in London was one of the best HR's I have ever read!

message 14: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Currently reading Julia London's 'The Trouble With Honor' in paperback and Elizabeth Hanbury's 'Christmas at Rakehell Manor'...both great so far! About 56% done on CARM and a hundred pages in on 'Honor'

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments Still working my way through Slightly Sinful by Mary Balogh. So far I'm not really impressed. I don't really like the hero or heroine. Hopefully I can finish this one bc I'm looking forward to the final with The Duke of Bedewyn! Then I don't know what I'll read.

message 16: by Manda (new)

Re: SEP, one of my favorites is Lady Be Good. So much to love: the drugstore scene especially!

Theresa, enjoy your RWA bounty!

message 17: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments Thanks, Manda! Happy release day to you for Why Lords Lose Their Hearts. :)

message 18: by Manda (new)

Theresa wrote: "Thanks, Manda! Happy release day to you for Why Lords Lose Their Hearts. :)"

Thank you!!

message 19: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2037 comments Mod
Didn't get much reading done last week or at the start of this week, but I managed to start reading a YA, The Registry by Shannon Stoker, late last night.

message 20: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Okie wrote: "Didn't get much reading done last week or at the start of this week, but I managed to start reading a YA, The Registry by Shannon Stoker, late last night."

Nothing wrong with a good YA book Okie!

message 21: by Okie (new)

I didn't have internet connection where I was at, but I wanted to wish you a Happy Release Day for Why Lords Lose Their Hearts, Manda!

message 22: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Quite so. Always exciting when we have a new book release. Good luck with Why Lords Lose Their Hearts, Manda!

message 23: by Okie (new)

Thanks, John :) I'm close to meeting my goodreads challenge for 2014! Time to up my book load.

message 24: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Okie wrote: "Thanks, John :) I'm close to meeting my goodreads challenge for 2014! Time to up my book load."

Congrats on the progress on your book challenge Okie! I'm one book behind for my total in 2013 (33, then, 32 this year) so I hope I'm going to bust it. Stephe King next, then I'm back on HR's, RR's, or YA. So much choice :)

message 25: by Manda (new)

Thanks, Okie and John! It was a fun day:)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished Much ado about you and Kiss me Annabelle by Eloisa James and liked them both, though they were a little frothy and didn't strain the intellect I still enjoyed them. One thing though, I did find an awful lot of mistakes in the kindle version, more than I normally do with most kindle books. Maybe they don't proofread these as well as they do paper versions.

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments I finally finished the Bedwyn Saga. I really didn't like the 5th book, but I think that everyone who reads these books loves Wulfric more and more throughout the stories. I'm going to read a recommended book from John then off to unexcitedly read the books 3 & 4 of the divergent series with my best friend.

message 28: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2060 comments Mod
The paper versions of Eloisas books used to have a lot of problems too. They are much better now.
I read and really liked Between the Sheets by Molly O'Keefe. Next is Mr Right goes Wrong by Morsi.

message 29: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Rachel wrote: "I finally finished the Bedwyn Saga. I really didn't like the 5th book, but I think that everyone who reads these books loves Wulfric more and more throughout the stories. I'm going to read a recomm..."

Well Rachel...I have read Divergent...a bit unimpressed really. Tried to ignore The Hunger Games and Nineteen-Eighty-Four as I read it. Not bad, but yeah...!

Currently trying to finish Stephen King's Mr Mercedes even though I started Julia London's 'The Trouble With Honor'...as I recommended to you I want to finish it and soon. I'm editing my own book too...so many spinning plates....arrrghhh! Enjoy your reading!

message 30: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Marnie wrote: "Just finished Much ado about you and Kiss me Annabelle by Eloisa James and liked them both, though they were a little frothy and didn't strain the intellect I still enjoyed them. One thing though, ..."

How surprising, though I haven't found errors in EJ's books so far. You would think established authors like Eloisa would be fine for an editor / proof checker. I see the odd typo's in books, but rarely does it spoil my enjoyment of them.

message 31: by Christiana (new)

Christiana I'm listening to JQ's Just Like Heaven which is light and sweet. Before this, I finished listening to EJ's Three Weeks With Lady X which was okay but not as wonderful as I had hoped it would be.
One thing nice about audiobooks is not having to deal with punctuation and spelling errors. Unfortunately due to the cost, I've only ever bought two audiobooks and rely on borrowing from public libraries which have fewer audiobooks than ebooks. It's all good though, I'm able to get through more books and am having a lovely time while I garden, drive or clean the house.