The Lost Challenges discussion

Mystery Man (Dream Man, #1)
This topic is about Mystery Man
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
40 views
Archives - BOM/Group Reads > Mystery Man-August Series Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H While drinking cosmopolitans, Gwendolyn Kidd meets the man of her dreams. Then she takes him home. Then she wakes up alone. But her fear that she lost her dream man turns into a relationship with a mystery man when, night after night in the dead of night, he comes back for more. Hoping it will blossom into something real, she lets him.

But she doesn’t even know his name.

Gwen’s struggling with the decision to end their crazy non-relationship when her sister-from-hell, Ginger’s best friend pays a visit and warns Gwen that if she and her sister don't get smart, they'll both get d-e-a-d, dead. Gwen has no clue what’s going on but she’s used to Ginger’s antics and decides to lay the problem on her sister’s biker boyfriend's doorstep. Bad choice. She hits the Denver Underground radar with a big, loud ping.

This means Gwen’s Mystery Man, Cabe “Hawk” Delgado has to step in to keep her safe. But when Hawk gets a dose of Gwen in the daylight, he makes the decision that he finally wants real with Gwen. However when Gwen gets a dose of badass, bossy, straight-talker Hawk in the daylight, she decides she’s done.

Thus begins the head-to-head of the Commando vs. Cosmo Girl as Hawk woos Gwen in his own unique way, Gwen survives firebombs, drive-bys, kidnappings, hot pursuits by biker hotties and gorgeous police detectives and discovers the heartbreaking reason why Hawk kept her at arm’s length.

And as all this happens, Gwen finds that her sister’s troubles are serious trouble and she must decide who to keep alive: her sister-from-hell or the man of her dreams


Penni | 1287 comments Mod
I am IN :-)


⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) I'm in on it as well! Have it loaded onto my Kindle already!

I was getting worried about the group, since this thread hadn't been posted and I think Ezi had asked for it a while ago. Good to know the group isn't dead yet!


Penni | 1287 comments Mod
I'm still working on Striking Distance (I-Team, #6) by Pamela Clare . Haven't had much time except for listening and that one is hard copy. Then Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7) by Ilona Andrews is out and I know I will listen to that first. So not sure yet, when I will be able to start this one.


⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) I won't get to this right off the bat, as I have two I have to read starting on the 2nd of August, but I hope to get to it fairly quickly.


message 6: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) Still up in the air if I want to purchase this book and join in. I like rom/susp though and that is what I heard this was.


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments I'm starting Magic Breaks soon too


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments I'll listen to this one after Kate


Penni | 1287 comments Mod
Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "I'll listen to this one after Kate"

God Magic Breaks is so good. I'm about 70%


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments Penni wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "I'll listen to this one after Kate"

God Magic Breaks is so good. I'm about 70%"


I'm only 8% into it. It's pretty long (a little over 15hours)


Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) Just listened to this in April. Nicely narrated by Kate Russell.


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Just listened to this in April. Nicely narrated by Kate Russell."

That's good to hear. Will you continue with the series? If so, you are welcome to join us next month with book 2


⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) *grins* Hi, Lisa Kay! Feel free to jump in when we get to discussing this one, even with you listening to it back in April. I'm sure we'd all love to hear your thoughts on it! And I agree with Ezi, if you think you might continue with the series, please join us as we read the others!


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments Starting Tomorrow? Sat? Anyone?


⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) I can shoot for this weekend sometime, if you want, Ezi. I've got my Scrabble team challenge on Friday, but I can read two books at once, and sometimes even finish them in a day.


Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Starting Tomorrow? Sat? Anyone?"

I might do a re-listen since I have this in my Audible library. Although I still want to smack my friends that recommended this book (years ago) as my first KA to read.


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Starting Tomorrow? Sat? Anyone?"

I might do a re-listen since I have this in my Audible library. Although I still want to smack my friends that recommended thi..."


why do you want to smack her? you didn't like it?


Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "why do you want to smack her? you didn't like it? "

I had serious issues with this book, for a good portion of the book. Before I had finished it, if someone had asked like halfway into it- I would have rated it low and been skeptical if I'd finish it. It's not my favorite KA book by any stretch of the imagination. And there is this repeated thing- whenever the main female has 'feelz' she is said to get a 'squishy stomach'... that's a regular thing in KA that apparently when females get emotional they feel it in their gut, stomach, whatever... but it bugged the crap out of me. I wanted to punch her in her squishy stomach. But, by the end, it was redeemed for me. I am flabbergasted (even on my re-read) that it was redeemed- KA does that often for me. I'll darn near hate the book and then all of the sudden it 'clicks' and it's all good.


Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) But the fact that my friends recommended this book as my first KA experience... I almost didn't finish and almost swore off all KA books.

If I were recommending a 'first KA book experience' then I would've picked the Colorado Mountain series- The Gamble. Still very KA, but the main female I didn't want to deck in her squishy stomach.


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "But the fact that my friends recommended this book as my first KA experience... I almost didn't finish and almost swore off all KA books.

If I were recommending a 'first KA book experience' then I..."


LOL. I am going to think of you punching someone now if I hear squishy stomach in this audiobook. LOL.

you should check on our thread as we go through this book.


Penni | 1287 comments Mod
I can start on Saturday. Right now my work schedule is huge (through tomorrow night). So Sat/Sun I can start.


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments Penni wrote: "I can start on Saturday. Right now my work schedule is huge (through tomorrow night). So Sat/Sun I can start."

Ok then Sst/Sun


~Melissa~ | 1690 comments Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "why do you want to smack her? you didn't like it? "

I had serious issues with this book, for a good portion of the book. Before I had finished it, if someone h..."


I felt the same way but not because of the 'squishy stomach' thing - although that was annoying as well. For me the MC's irritated me for most of the book. I agree Alana - Colorado Mountain series is a great first series to read of KA.


Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) I'm re-listening now so I'll be all brushed up on the book


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "I'm re-listening now so I'll be all brushed up on the book"

Alana, i hope you join us on the series read. Leave any spoiler comments under spoiler tags.


Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) Point #1 that chaps my ass (I'm not going to do a spoiler tag, because this is covered in the first few pages of the book) - She doesn't know his name. For a year and a half he randomly shows up in the middle of the night (can you say breaking and entering?) boinks her (at least she's willing) and then leaves, usually without so much as an uttered word the whole time... and she doesn't know his name. Still to this day, and I believe it's my 3rd re-read, this fact still chaps my ass.


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "Point #1 that chaps my ass (I'm not going to do a spoiler tag, because this is covered in the first few pages of the book) - She doesn't know his name. For a year and a half he randomly shows up i..."

*Sighing* I will get through this book


⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "*Sighing* I will get through this book"

I hear you there, Ezi! KA's books have been mostly on the miss side of hit or miss for me, but I'm really wanting to read this series to better understand some of the characters that appear in Own the Wind. Gonna have to slog through this one, it sounds like...


Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) Trea wrote: "I hear you there, Ezi! KA's books have been mostly on the miss side of hit or miss for me, but I'm really wanting to re..."

You get to meet Tack at least! I love Tack. Now, faced with him and his alpha biker ways in person, most likely a resounding NO... but in a book *sigh*


⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "You get to meet Tack at least! I love Tack. Now, faced with him and his alpha biker ways in person, most likely a resounding NO... but in a book *sigh*"

If Tack is the hero of Motorcycle Man, then he's the reason I've joined the series read! I read Own the Wind last year and it irks me when I find that a book has preceding books that I haven't read. Thus why I've been watching these on Amazon, then when this challenge came up, bit the bullet and bought them all.


Penni | 1287 comments Mod
*snicker* This is going to be SO much fun. Tomorrow I will start.


Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) Trea wrote: "If Tack is the hero of Motorcycle Man, then he's the reason I've joined the series read! I read Own the Wind last year and it irks me when I find that a book has preceding books that I haven't read. Thus why I've been watching these on Amazon, then when this challenge came up, bit the bullet and bought them all. "

Oh, yes. Sadly, you really do need to read Mystery Man to get the full effect and knowledge of the bevy of hot in these books (and the characters)... it's just the first one that was really hard for me to fall far, the others were super easy. And Tack is a regular in the first three books before he has his own book. But I think it's also that I just don't identify with Gwen (main female lead in MM)... she's all about expensive shoes and looking nice and little black dresses and fuck-me heels, almost 'Barbie-like' in a way- and I just don't 'get' the whole buying a pair of shoes that cost more than my monthly property tax payment.


~Melissa~ | 1690 comments Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "Point #1 that chaps my ass (I'm not going to do a spoiler tag, because this is covered in the first few pages of the book) - She doesn't know his name. For a year and a half he randomly shows up i..."

Yep - that was part of my problem - plus the stuff Gwen does in the following books irked me too


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments ~Melissa~ wrote: "Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "Point #1 that chaps my ass (I'm not going to do a spoiler tag, because this is covered in the first few pages of the book) - She doesn't know his name. For a year and..."

but you gave it 4-stars. so you liked it a lot!


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments BTW, I need to be forced to try this series...someone, anybody, tell me something good?
Claimed (Brides of the Kindred, #1) by Evangeline Anderson


~Melissa~ | 1690 comments Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "~Melissa~ wrote: "Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "Point #1 that chaps my ass (I'm not going to do a spoiler tag, because this is covered in the first few pages of the book) - She doesn't know his nam..."

Yes by the end but during the reading I was like Alana and had a lot of wtf moments throughout the whole book. Book 2 and 3 were my favorites of this series. Sorry all you Tack lovers but I had some issues with him too but again loved it by the end.


⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "BTW, I need to be forced to try this series...someone, anybody, tell me something good?
Claimed (Brides of the Kindred, #1) by Evangeline Anderson"


I wish I could, Ezi, but I really hated the first book of the series. So much so, that I put the rest of the series on an Abandoned Series shelf. I'll post my review so you can get a sense of what I thought of it.

"This is one book where I wish we could give negative ratings, because I positively hated it! I speak from a background of spousal abuse and marital rape from my first marriage, and to me, this book was all about (view spoiler) This was my first time reading this author, and while this book was a total bust for me, enough that I won't continue the series, it is not enough to completely turn me off the author. I know of one other book that I own by this author, so I am hoping that her non-Sci-Fi romance books are more to my taste. I applaud the author though, writing romantic Sci-Fi is difficult, and for a series to have so many follow up novels says to me that a lot of other people think that this author is doing something right in the series. Unfortunately, I am not one of them."


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments Trea wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "BTW, I need to be forced to try this series...someone, anybody, tell me something good?
Claimed (Brides of the Kindred, #1) by Evangeline Anderson"

I wish I could, Ezi, but I really hated th..."


that bad, huh? I've been seeing it a lot at RRRC.


⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) Yeah, it had been sitting on my TBR mountain for about 2 years before I got to it, and I remember getting it for free, but that was one where I wish I hadn't picked it up.

However, I see it gets a lot of good reviews, so it has to have something going for it. I just can't see it.


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments Trea wrote: "Yeah, it had been sitting on my TBR mountain for about 2 years before I got to it, and I remember getting it for free, but that was one where I wish I hadn't picked it up.

However, I see it gets..."


I got it for free 2 wks ago and it has like 7 books


⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Trea wrote: "Yeah, it had been sitting on my TBR mountain for about 2 years before I got to it, and I remember getting it for free, but that was one where I wish I hadn't picked it up.

However, ..."


Yep, and when I look at the books in the series, including the first one, it seems that there are a lot more good reviews than bad ones. *shrugs* I guess it just resonated differently with me.


Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "but you gave it 4-stars. so you liked it a lot! "

The book, and the romance was redeemed by the end, so I did rate it high... but I still have serious issues in this book


Penni | 1287 comments Mod
Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "BTW, I need to be forced to try this series...someone, anybody, tell me something good?
Claimed (Brides of the Kindred, #1) by Evangeline Anderson"


I know nuttin....


Penni | 1287 comments Mod
Ok, so I got a little start tonight. Trying to keep my eyes open after a long week.

I am actually finding this book entertaining so far. Of course. I'm only about 1-1/2 chapters in.


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments Penni wrote: "Ok, so I got a little start tonight. Trying to keep my eyes open after a long week.

I am actually finding this book entertaining so far. Of course. I'm only about 1-1/2 chapters in."


Hey. I can't listen until tomorrow...I gotta watch True blood episodes


Penni | 1287 comments Mod
Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Penni wrote: "Ok, so I got a little start tonight. Trying to keep my eyes open after a long week.

I am actually finding this book entertaining so far. Of course. I'm only about 1-1/2 chapters i..."


I am sooo slow, I need a week's head start on you.

You'll still get done before me.


Penni | 1287 comments Mod
So, my thoughts. I'm on the beginnings of Chapter 2 - I think.

And then. He spoke. And I wished he'd stayed mute :-)


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments Penni wrote: " He spoke. And I wished he'd stayed mute :-)"

LMAO. Too funny


Penni | 1287 comments Mod
The man is psycho. Bad enough having a middle of the night occasional "dream" lover, but then waking up one day to an instant "relationship". Now that's scary lol.


Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments Quote: "Sweetheart, I know who I fuck"
LMAO. But you fuck someone who couldn't tell you from Adam. Seriously who's worse? Ok, so clueless dumb ho is the worst, but still


« previous 1
back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.