2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > May - Quote Your Growth

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsay (last edited May 27, 2018 01:54PM) (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments I am in for 2 please

5/2

1. “We are products of our past, but we don't have to be prisoners of it.” ― Rick Warren, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for? Read a book about a subject related to your past.

2. “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt. Read a book about a subject related to your future.

3. “Take the challenge of your life. Reach out to your goals. There is no limit to what you can achieve.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita. Read a book about achieving your goals.
Knowing the Score: My Family and Our Tennis Story

4. “There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn't.” ― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down. Read a book about mental health or emotional intelligence.
Where Memories Go: Why Dementia Changes Everything

5. “What ever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.” — Napoleon Hill. Read a book about career or a skill you would like to learn.

6. “If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.” ― Bruce Lee. Read a book about productivity or creativity.

7. “Building bridges takes us further than building walls.” — DaShanne Stokes. Read a book about philosophy, religion or spirituality.

8. “Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body.” ― Seneca. Read a book about a problem or challenge that you have encountered.
Little Man in a Dog Suit: The Story of a Boston Terrier

9. “We are not trapped or locked up in these bones. No, no. We are free to change. And love changes us. And if we can love one another, we can break open the sky.” ― Walter Mosley, Blue Light. Read a book about love or relationships .
Asking For It

10. “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” ― Mahatma Gandhi. Read a book about a subject or current event that piques your interest
Banana: The Fate of the Fruit That Changed the World

message 2: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 350 comments I’m going to start with one: read a book about productivity.

message 3: by Mie (last edited May 13, 2018 09:06AM) (new)

Mie | 2015 comments I would like to try for 3, please.

3/3 - COMPLETE ✔️

✅ 1. Past - Lime's Photograph - 3⭐️
✅ 7. Religion - American Gods - 3⭐️
✅ 9. Relationship - Gregor and the Code of Claw - 4⭐️

message 4: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments 1 for me please

message 5: by Himanshu (new)

Himanshu | 3 comments I would like to try for 3

message 6: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3454 comments I'll try for 3

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 161 comments I will aim for 3.

message 9: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments I'm in for 3 please.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Ann (readncupcakes) | 66 comments I am going to try for 3.

message 11: by Diane (last edited Dec 17, 2018 06:39PM) (new)

Diane (diane_g) | 518 comments I'm in for two, please!

Goal: 2/2

1. Priestdaddy: A Memoir, Patricia Lockwood
* a book about productivity or creativity
2. Sourdough, Robin Sloan
* a book about productivity or creativity (also, literally, about growth)

message 12: by Elina (last edited May 16, 2018 08:26AM) (new)

Elina Tola (Bookeliina) (elinatola) | 94 comments ________________COMPLETED ✔️ ____________________
I'll try for two.
2/2

1)“We are not trapped or locked up in these bones. No, no. We are free to change. And love changes us. And if we can love one another, we can break open the sky.” ― Walter Mosley, Blue Light. Read a book about love or relationships .
Astoņu ziedlapu roze by Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir 4⭐️ May 7th - US cover The Greenhouse by Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir
2)“We are products of our past, but we don't have to be prisoners of it.” ― Rick Warren, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for? Read a book about a subject related to your past.(not directly my past, but past for my parents and grandparents)
Pilsētu dedzināšana by Kai Aareleid it will come out as Burning Cities by Kai Aareleid in October 1st 2018 3,5⭐️ May 16th

message 13: by matilde (new)

matilde (matiswonderland) I´ll try and do 1, because I have exams and am not looking forward to it :))

0/2 - x pages

message 14: by David (new)

David (bladecutter) | 14 comments Goal: 1/6

4. The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook

5. Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain Deluxe: The Definitive, 4th Edition

6. The Artist's Way

7. On the Shortness of Life

8. - READ - Zen in The Art of Writing - I liked it, let me know that to think of all the self doubt and mental issues as its own entity was a valid way of going about overcoming it.

10. Plot & Structure - Write Great Fiction

message 15: by Fatma (new)

Fatma Al-Qais (fyalqais) | 25 comments update:
Finished reading Hector and the Search for Happiness
[1/4]

message 16: by Mie (new)

Mie | 2015 comments Update msg 5: 1/3
✅ 1. Past - Lime's Photograph - 3⭐️

message 17: by Rachel (last edited May 18, 2018 03:43PM) (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 161 comments 1. “We are products of our past, but we don't have to be prisoners of it.” ― Rick Warren, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for? Read a book about a subject related to your past.

2. “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt. Read a book about a subject related to your future.

3. “Take the challenge of your life. Reach out to your goals. There is no limit to what you can achieve.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita. Read a book about achieving your goals.

4. “There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn't.” ― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down. Read a book about mental health or emotional intelligence. - Turtles All the Way Down

5. “What ever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.” — Napoleon Hill. Read a book about career or a skill you would like to learn.

6. “If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.” ― Bruce Lee. Read a book about productivity or creativity. - Bang. The main characters create a Youtube channel making creative pizzas, as an attempt to have a "productive" summer.

7. “Building bridges takes us further than building walls.” — DaShanne Stokes. Read a book about philosophy, religion or spirituality.

8. “Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body.” ― Seneca. Read a book about a problem or challenge that you have encountered.

9. “We are not trapped or locked up in these bones. No, no. We are free to change. And love changes us. And if we can love one another, we can break open the sky.” ― Walter Mosley, Blue Light. Read a book about love or relationships. - Landline

10. “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” ― Mahatma Gandhi. Read a book about a subject or current event that piques your interest.

message 18: by Katherine (last edited Jun 01, 2018 09:17AM) (new)

Katherine | 79 comments May - Quote Your Growth

1. Read a book about a subject related to your past.
Bleach (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 13 Includes vols. 37, 38 39 by Tite Kubo 23/5/18 ★★★★

2. Read a book about a subject related to your future.
The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2) by Terry Pratchett 24/5/18 ★★★★★

3. Read a book about achieving your goals.
How to Break a Dragon's Heart (How to Train Your Dragon, #8) by Cressida Cowell 23/5/18 ★★★★

4. Read a book about emotional intelligence.
As Old As Time (Twisted Tales, #3) by Liz Braswell 24/5/18 ★★★★★

5. Read a book about career or a skill you would like to learn.
To be an author: Sekaiichi Hatsukoi, vol. 1 (Sekaiichi Hatsukoi, #1) by Shungiku Nakamura 25/5/18 ★★★★

6. Read a book about productivity or creativity.
Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer 25/5/18 ★★★★★

7. Read a book about spirituality.
Barbarian Lover (Ice Planet Barbarians, #3) by Ruby Dixon 25/5/18 ★★★★★

8. Read a book about a problem or challenge that you have encountered.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll 28/5/18 ★★★★★

9. Read a book about love.
Cinder by Marie Sexton 25/5/18 ★★★

10. Read a book about a subject that piques your interest.
The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan 27/5/18 ★★★★★

message 19: by Mie (new)

Mie | 2015 comments Update msg 5: 2/3
✅ 7. Religion - American Gods - 3⭐️

message 20: by Mie (new)

Mie | 2015 comments Update msg 5: 3/3 - COMPLETE ✔️

✅ 9. Relationship - Gregor and the Code of Claw - 4⭐️

message 21: by Fatma (new)

Fatma Al-Qais (fyalqais) | 25 comments Update:
Finished reading After You
[2/4]

message 22: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments Update msg 2

3/2 completed

message 23: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3454 comments 2/3 Complete

4. “There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn't.” ― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down. Read a book about mental health or emotional intelligence.- Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson

9. “We are not trapped or locked up in these bones. No, no. We are free to change. And love changes us. And if we can love one another, we can break open the sky.” ― Walter Mosley, Blue Light. Read a book about love or relationships . - Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas

message 24: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3454 comments 3/3 Complete!

3. “Take the challenge of your life. Reach out to your goals. There is no limit to what you can achieve.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita. Read a book about achieving your goals. - The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun by Gretchen Rubin

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Ann (readncupcakes) | 66 comments Completed 3/3

1. Read a book about a subject related to your past. Ma Speaks Up: And a First-Generation Daughter Talks Back 5/22/18

8. Read a book about a problem or challenge that you have encountered. Postmortem 5/30/18

9. Read a book about love or relationships . The House on Harbor Hill 5/2918

message 26: by Diane (new)

Diane (diane_g) | 518 comments Update Message 14! Thank you.

Goal: 2/2

I'm catching up on my year's reading and noticed I forgot to update this challenge. I did read two books in May that met this challenge.