Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > 10 - Learn Something New (28/50)

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited Apr 29, 2018 03:10AM) (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) It is always good to learn something new. Whether we are talking about a self-help book or a how to book or a biography, all non-fiction books are welcome. I know that sometimes these can be too heavy of books for a readathon so we are going to try to reach 50. And keep in mind, some non-fiction books are light and comedic.

Milestones: 28

message 2: by Jamie (new)

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) Updated Through Here

message 4: by Devon (new)

Devon (archivist_fox) | 80 comments Started with the book:
The Geek Feminist Revolution by Kameron Hurley

message 5: by Amber (bookstacksamber) (last edited Apr 28, 2018 06:13AM) (new)

message 6: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments Continued listening to another few chapters of this to start off the readathon:
Nomadland Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century by Jessica Bruder Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century by Jessica Bruder

message 7: by T. (new)

message 8: by Miriam (new)

Miriam (miriam_w13) | 18 comments Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson Getting a cosmic perspective this morning.

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan (meggomustreadbooks) | 32 comments from April 1 to April 28 I read my lovely wife in the psych ward mark lukach, trouble maker by Leah Remini. I read 3 poetry books this month so I am going to include them here, if they do not belong then that's ok. Depression and other magic tricks, winter cranes, still no words.

message 13: by Joy (new)

Joy (joystory) | 13 comments Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk Kidd

message 15: by Elizabeth (last edited Apr 28, 2018 01:10PM) (new)

Elizabeth | 209 comments Finished 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 209 comments Finished Night (The Night Trilogy, #1) by Elie Wiesel

message 20: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Girl Rising: Changing the World One Girl at a Time by Tanya Lee Stone

message 23: by Ruth-Helen (new)

Ruth-Helen (annierh4) | 14 comments The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

message 24: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 25 comments I didn't really learn anything, but I did read a nonfiction book for my opener! Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores by Jen Campbell.

message 26: by Ana (new)

Ana (blackgoddessreviews) Tough Mothers by Jason Porath. Brief biographies of awesome matriarchs throughout history.

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) Updated to here

27 total

message 28: by SadieReadsAgain (new)

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 157 comments Everyday Sexism - even as a lifelong and fairly well informed feminist, I learned new information from this book.

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) Updated to here

28 total

message 30: by Joy (new)

Joy (joystory) | 13 comments The Dance of the Dissident Daughter A Woman's Journey from Christian Tradition to the Sacred Feminine by Sue Monk Kidd

I learned new things about the feminine face of god and that in spite of the fact that's been a focus for me for over 2 decades

In the Days of Rain A Daughter, a Father, a Cult by Rebecca Stott

I learned a whole lot about the history of the cult that the one I was raised in splintered off from

Knowing Your Value Women, Money, and Getting What You're Worth by Mika Brzezinski
I learned how to identify, acknowledge and defy the ways in which the devaluing of women in the cult I broke from and the culture at large is still permeating my sense of myself. It gives me hope. Is 60 too late?

Bernie Sanders Guide to Political Revolution by Bernie Sanders

I learned about the roots of some of the injustices in our society (many of which impact me directly or I've witnessed first hand) and how to advocate for change. Most importantly where to target that advocating or activism in favor of social justice and environmental protection

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.