Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Top Three Books Read April 2018

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7555 comments Mod
What are the best books you read this month? :)

message 2: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Apr 26, 2018 02:39PM) (new)

Mine are:
His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik Nyxia Unleashed (The Nyxia Triad #2) by Scott Reintgen Knight's Shadow (Greatcoats, #2) by Sebastien de Castell
His Majesty's Dragon - I'm in the boat of "why haven't I freaking read this before now?" It was awesome.
Nyxia Unleashed - For a YA, I'm super impressed. The second one was just as good as the first. I can't wait for the finale.
Knight's Shadow - considering how rocky the first book was, I'm floored at how much I enjoyed this second book. I think it must have been exactly what I was in the mood for.

:)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I had a really good month! Usually my month is filled with 3 star books and only rarely do I see a 4 or 5 star book, but I had 3 5 star books and 3 4 star books this month.

5 star books

Kushiel's Scion I loved this first book of the second trilogy. Phedre was starting to grate on me. This new perspective is just what I needed to rope me back in.

Ship of Destiny Such a great ending to this trilogy. A thousand times better than how she ended Assassin's Quest.

Age of Myth I've had this book for 2 years. I won a version before it officially came out and it's just been sitting on my shelf. I'm kicking myself for not reading it sooner. It had me hooked since the first page, and that never happens. Even Sanderson can't do that for me. I can't wait to read more by Sullivan.

Honorable mentioning my 4 star books:CrookedKingdom, Just One Damned Thing After Another, Den of Wolves

message 4: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I am so glad you loved Age of Myth! I am still slowly rereading it and loving it. I hope you like his other stuff as much as I have. :)

I will have to think about my favorites. Off the top of my head, Salt to the Sea was my favorite new read of the month.

message 5: by Yanique, Thread Master (new)

Yanique Gillana | 1011 comments Mod
I’m glad to have gotten to a few 5 Star books this month:

The Way of Kings
The Three Body Problem
The Stone Sky

I love that two of these are the openings of series that I can still look forward to, and The Stone Sky was such a solid finale to an amazing series.

message 8: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I'm thrilled to see Kushiel's Scion! It made my conservative list of all-time favorites. Loved it.

message 9: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Oooh!! And Succubus Blues! You can't have my book boyfriend. ;P

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Omg how did I miss Succubus Blues? That was another 5 star book for me this month. So I had 4 5 star books this month?? That's unheard of.

message 11: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Omg how did I miss Succubus Blues? That was another 5 star book for me this month. So I had 4 5 star books this month?? That's unheard of."

Yaaaaassss!!! I'm feeling the book synergy, Diana. :P

message 13: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3175 comments 5 stars:
Toll the Hounds - I loved it but I am still devastated. This has been my reaction to most books in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

4 stars but I am still thinking of upgrading them to 5:
Golden Son
Morning Star

I was taken by surprise how much I enjoyed these two books. I just could not put them down and I have to restrain myself from yelling "Break the Chains" to everyone I meet, lol.

message 14: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments It's been a great reading month for me too! Got three 5-stars books:
Nice Dragons Finish Last
Sir Thomas the Hesitant and the Table of Less Valued Knights
Succubus Blues

I'm thinking of upgrading Age of Myth to 5-stars as well.
I'm halfway through Golden Son but it's a 4/5 stars read so far.

:D

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved all of them

1. The Traitor's Game
2. Artemis
3. Warcross (I'm still reading)

message 16: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Oooh!! And Succubus Blues! You can't have my book boyfriend. ;P"

You can keep him. :D I'll take Georgina.

message 17: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Oh yeah that reminds me; are we reading the sequels to Succubus Blues?

message 18: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Virginie wrote: "Sir Thomas the Hesitant and the Table of Less Valued Knights?"

THAT TITLE ALONE OH MY GOD I HAVE TO GO READ THAT.

message 19: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Sha wrote: "Oh yeah that reminds me; are we reading the sequels to Succubus Blues?"

Yeah, we settled on May 21st. The thread is the same:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Sha wrote: "THAT TITLE ALONE OH MY GOD I HAVE TO GO READ THAT."

Just take a look at the cover hahahaha.
Sir Thomas the Hesitant and the Table of Less Valued Knights by Liam Perrin
The book is really funny; the author is a big fan of Terry Pratchett.

message 20: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments I have two five-star reads: The Devourers which is quite possibly the best book I read this year so far (seriously) and the delightful Oceanology: The True Account of the Voyage of the Nautilus.

Lots of four-star books but maybe I will give the honor to The Legion of Flame.

message 21: by Hailee (last edited Apr 29, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments My top three are:

Blood of Tyrants (Temeraire, #8) by Naomi Novik Blood of Tyrants
King of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #2) by Mark Lawrence King of Thorns
Persuasion by Jane Austen Persuasion

An honorable mention for Crooked Kingdom as well but since that was a re-read I didn't count it.

message 22: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4357 comments I didn't get a lot of reading done in April, but these were the ones I liked the best:

Grey Sister This was by far the best book I read in April.
Den of Wolves It had it's flaws but I still really enjoyed it.
Obsidio Not as good as the first two books, but better than the other two books left on my read in April list.

message 23: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3603 comments Mod
Like Miche it was Toll the Hounds 5/5. It's proving a little difficult to move onto another book.

message 24: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Ooh, Persuasion. Love it, Hailee. I want to reread it soon.

message 25: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments The Autumn War is the only one worth mentioning this month. the whole quartet is great.

message 26: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff This is a hard month for me because I read a lot of good books

Artemis
Daughter of Smoke and Bones
Warcross