UHS Honors English 9 P2 2017 discussion

Book Review of Hounds of Baskerville

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 8 comments Sherlock Holmes: The Hounds of Baskerville written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a thrilling mystery set in the early 1900’s of London. This book is one of the more famous tales of Sherlock and although this book has not won any awards, it hardly needs them with it’s own earned popularity. Doyle initially published this after writing a book killing off Sherlock. However, with resistance he luckily wrote this masterpiece of questions and answers.
The Hounds of Baskerville was primarily set at a mansion where the supposed “hound” lived and hunted. The whole issue itself was introduced to Sherlock and Watson by Doctor Mortimer. He told the tale of how the all the lineage of the Baskerville men were set to die under mysterious circumstances by the Hound. The book is set in motion when the heir of the most recent Baskerville death arrives in town to stay in Baskerville Hall (the mansion) and to put affairs into order. As the reader, one is set on edge from the first chapter. The chilling tale of the very first Baskerville death by hound was gruesome and tragic, not to mention the strange events Sir Henry (the heir) goes through right as he gets to London. Missing shoes, mysterious notes, strange men following, escaped prisoners all wrapped into Henry’s visit. Of course, Sherlock strongly believes there’s a reasonable answer to everything including a giant, vicious, bloodthirsty dog, Sherlock simply doesn’t believe the tale. Him and Watson search and theorize religiously to find any clues that will point to an answer to the deaths and the mishappenings. In the latter half of the this novel, twists are still being sprung on the reader including the identity and the real story of the “hound”.
I personally really enjoyed reading the Sherlock. I was always a fan of twists and mysteries and this book definitely has plenty of those. This intricately woven novel is worth a close read if you personally are in to it. On the other hand, the book is really wordy and it is set in England with all of the English lingo that may make one be lost. Expectedly, Sherlock’s dialogue is drawn out and unnecessary sometimes. Although the flowery language really sets the ambiance for that time period, it makes it a tougher read. All in all, The Hound of Baskerville is for sure a book to read if your looking for a literary classic or for a good mystery. If you are looking for a simple plot with not-challenging to read chapters, sorry to say, the Sherlock series isn’t for you.

message 2: by Griffin (last edited Apr 27, 2018 01:27PM) (new)

Griffin Destroyer | 8 comments Although I have never been a fan of the more wordy novels I have always been intrigued by Sherlock Holmes. Personally I have never heard of the Hounds of Baskerville but it sounds amazing! The chilling murders and mansion really set the scene for a magnificent book. I wonder if the Hound is the real murderer and the fact that there are twists makes the story ten times better. I have always loved mystery and adventure books and I think that this would be a great book for me! I will definitely consider reading this book in the not-so-distant future!

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean R. | 8 comments I am suddenly interested in reading this book now being told what the story is like, without being told the whole story. Mystery has always been a genre that I have looked at, but never really bothered reading, mostly because I wanted to read another book first, or I had something more "important" to do. Now, here I am again looking at this same genre, and I think that I am going to read this book sometime in the near future. The way you described how this book is in a opinionated sense with how you thought about it, and how the book literally is like gives me a better idea of what to expect from this book, and how long the read will be. I think this review was very well done and I now need to know, what does the hound got to do with all of these deaths?

message 4: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Garcia | 9 comments This review did an amazing job at giving an insight to this mystery novel without fully spilling all of its contents. I would guess from this that the hound is a strong suspect in this book, but i really cant predict anything, because I will take your true word that it is full of twists, which is very believable. I love how you didn't simply mention the main idea of the book, but other things that i can find throughout, causing my curiosity to grow. Iofpund it useful as well that you mentioned that the chapters may be a challenge to comprehend, it will help me to think, and hopefully expand my vocabulary. Thank you for this review, i will one-hundred percent keep this book in my mind when im looking for a hot new read.