The Sword and Laser discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8950 comments Trailer for Venom.

https://youtu.be/u9Mv98Gr5pY

It looks okay. Although Spider-man 3 was on AMC last night, so by direct comparison this looks like Citizen Kane.

But oh my god, “sim-by-oat”... where did Jenny Slate learn to speak? Was her dialogue coach just someone dragging their nails across a blackboard?

"Us is gonna hafta use da nuculer awpshin on dose sim-by-oats." - Dr. Of Tawkin Rail Güd Jenny Slate, Venom

— Trike (@Trike) April 26, 2018

message 2: by DJay (new)

DJay (djdjay) | 20 comments I'm a lil miffed that they changed how Eddy became Venom. Originally he get it after it was rejected by Spider-Man, and that is ALSO why Venom was so deadly to Spider-Man. He knew his secret identity.

message 3: by Ben George (new)

Ben  George | 66 comments Yes the bad symbiote reading was the worst. I'm of mixed feelings about that trailer though.

message 4: by DJay (new)

DJay (djdjay) | 20 comments Well, it can't be worse than Spider-Man 3...........

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 838 comments I loved the trailer! It gave me goosebumps!

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8950 comments DJay wrote: "I'm a lil miffed that they changed how Eddy became Venom. Originally he get it after it was rejected by Spider-Man, and that is ALSO why Venom was so deadly to Spider-Man. He knew his secret identity."

It looks like they’re going with the Ultimate Spider-man version, which was tied in with Peter’s dad looking for a cure for cancer or something, resulting in a “healing cocoon” that eventually became the symbiotes. At the time I thought it would be easy to simply replace Parker senior with a generic scientist... and here we are.

Which is fine for me. The MCU has mined the Ultimate Universe to great effect, blending it with regular Marvel continuity.

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6925 comments Mod
The 90s had a great Spider-Man cartoon on Fox that did a version of the Venom/Symbiote/Carnage arc.

I want that..but live action.

I just can't get excited about this..

But yeah..it can't be much worse than Spider-Man 3.

Spider-Man has long been my favorite super-hero but I've liked exactly two of the movies (the first Toby McGuire one and Homecoming).

message 8: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 347 comments I’m reserving judgment. Some looked great, some made me roll my eyes. I’m hoping my doubt lessons as I get closer like it has with Solo.

message 9: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4271 comments Sooooo I think I've seen almost every Marvel movie out there. I boycotted the Fantastic Four movies after the first, but that's what happens when you make Galactus a cloud. Pretty sure I've seen all the rest, including some fair to middling Wolverine movies and a slapped-together "Days of Future Past" intended to get Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart together again while they could still move.

Expect Spider-Man. I know I've only seen about half of them. I couldn't tell you more because they just don't enter the consciousness. The one's I've seen have been bubblegum pap, and the one's I haven't seen I definitely haven't missed.

message 10: by Nils (new)

Nils Krebber | 202 comments I'm interested if they keep the spidermotif on the breast of this incarnation of Venom. Based on their origin it would make Zero sense, but for me it's one of the principal identifiers of the symbiote.
And tbh, right now the mask effect looks stupid. Those thick, white eyes do nothing for me.

message 11: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6925 comments Mod
John (Taloni) wrote: "Expect Spider-Man. I know I've only seen about half of them. I couldn't tell you more because they just don't enter the consciousness. The one's I've seen have been bubblegum pap, and the one's I haven't seen I definitely haven't missed."

Does that include Homecoming (the most recent one)? I thought that one was really good, and I suspect if I went back and rewatched the first Toby McGuire movie, I wouldn't find it nearly as good as when it first came out.