The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Monthly Genre Challenge 2018 > May Genre - Comedy/Tragedy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Rosemarie | 4052 comments Mod
I am planning on reading The Importance of Being Earnest for a comedy. I may or may not have time to read a tragedy.
The book you choose can be any genre, as long as one is a comedy and the other has a tragic theme.
You don't have to read both genres-- you can read one or the other.

message 2: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4728 comments Mod
Ooo. I’ll have to give this some thought!

message 3: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (dianeterry) | 37 comments I am going to read Dawn French -A Tiny but marvellous, supposed to be extremely funny and a page turner.

message 4: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I like Dawn French, who is very funny. I hope the book is too.

message 5: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments I'm going to read some PG Wodehouse. I have always thought his books wonderful. We have a few on our shelves at home, and there's a couple of them I don't remember ever reading.

message 6: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

His books are always entertaining, and funny.

message 7: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments I’m going to read The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.

message 8: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

That one is still on my to-read list. Maybe this year.....

Cindy (BKind2Books) (bkind2books) | 947 comments Okay, it’s not precisely comedy, but it was fairly humorous, so I’m including Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores for this month’s genre challenge

message 10: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

It sounds funny. My daughter worked in a book store for years so she could probably relate to that book.

message 11: by Glennis (last edited May 18, 2018 09:27PM) (new)

message 12: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 456 comments Glennis wrote: "I'm reading 102 Minutes: The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers as a tragedy."

Added to my TBR, not sure if I'll be able to read it though....

message 13: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

For tragedy I am reading Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster, which is heartbreaking.

message 14: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone | 140 comments For comedy, I just started Very Good, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse.

message 15: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I decided to gamble and see what my library app dropped in my lap. Which seemed to be a whole gaggle of RomCom type books and an intriguing selection labeled “Hogarth Shakespeare.” The HG titles are reworkings of Shakespeare plays by authors like Anne Tyler and Jeanette Winterson. So that’s where I’m headed. Instead of my burgeoning TBR. Squirrel Syndrome strikes again!

message 16: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 456 comments For tragedy I’ll be reading All the Light We Cannot See.

message 17: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments Susy wrote: "For tragedy I’ll be reading All the Light We Cannot See."

I plan to start reading it soon in another group - it will be interesting to see what you think of it, Susy.

I’m reading The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie for comedy at the moment. Comedy? - perhaps it just isn’t my sense of humour. A quarter of the way through the book, I haven’t even smiled at it yet. The best bits are the descriptions of Edinburgh, in my opinion.

message 18: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 456 comments Trisha wrote: "Susy wrote: "For tragedy I’ll be reading All the Light We Cannot See."

I plan to start reading it soon in another group - it will be interesting to see what you think of it, Susy.
..."

Which groups? I’m reading it for 2 of my other groups as well.

message 19: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments Susy wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Susy wrote: "For tragedy I’ll be reading All the Light We Cannot See."

I plan to start reading it soon in another group - it will be interesting to see what you thin..."

It’s for the group “Everyone has read this but me”.

Update on The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie - I finished it. Definitely not for me, I found it tedious & not funny at all.

message 20: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (last edited May 06, 2018 09:51AM) (new)

That's too bad, Trisha. The same thing happened to me with The Bottle Factory Outing. It wasn't funny either.
If any of our members like non-fiction, A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson is funny, at least I thought so.
P.G. Wodehouse is always a good choice for humour.

message 21: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I finished Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster for tragedy. It was an intense read.

message 22: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments Thanks for the recommendations, Rosemarie.

message 23: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (last edited May 07, 2018 08:07AM) (new)

You're welcome. Last year I read Something Fresh by P.G. Wodehouse, which is the first Blandings book. It is also on the Guardian list. It was a lot of fun.

message 24: by Karolyn (new)

Karolyn | 112 comments I'm starting to read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling for my comedy. It's been on my TBR list for awhile and I need something fun now that school is done.

message 25: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments I finished a PG Wodehouse yesterday. It was Hot Water. Very enjoyable.

message 26: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Karolyn wrote: "I'm starting to read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling for my comedy. It's been on my TBR list for awhile and I need something fun now that school ..."

I like to read something fun after reading a serious book. I hope the book is entertaining and funny.

message 27: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Sonia wrote: "I finished a PG Wodehouse yesterday. It was Hot Water. Very enjoyable."

I hadn't heard about this one, but it sounds funny. I hope the public library has a copy.

message 28: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I finished reading The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. It is a funny play. I loved it.

message 29: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Sonia wrote: "I finished a PG Wodehouse yesterday. It was Hot Water. Very enjoyable."

I hadn't heard about this one, but it sounds funny. I hope the public library has a copy."

It was really funny Rosemarie. It's worth seeking out.

message 30: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments I started Private Peaceful last night. It's about a young man in the First World War, so it's very probably a tragedy. I used to love reading Michael Morpurgo's books when I was a child, but I haven't read this before.

message 31: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I finished two of the Hogarth Project pieces.

Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler revisits The Taming of the Shrew. I really enjoyed it.

The Gap of Time by Jeanette Winterson takes on Winter’s Tale and is just as convoluted. But it was kinda fun and Winterson was very creative.

Next up is Hag-Seed: The Tempest Retold

message 32: by Karolyn (new)

Karolyn | 112 comments Finished Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? tonight. A quick and funny read. If you like The Office, you'd probably enjoy it.

I'm thinking of reading Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster next if I can get my hands on a copy.

Cindy (BKind2Books) (bkind2books) | 947 comments Finished Attachments which had a lot of humorous elements to it - the set-up for the novel is Lincoln is hired to monitor emails and provide IT support just before Y2K. In the course of reading some of the emails, he becomes enamored of Beth through the emails between her and her friend Jennifer. There's much fun and sweetness in this.

message 34: by Glennis (new)

Glennis | 138 comments Susy wrote: "Glennis wrote: "I'm reading 102 Minutes: The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers as a tragedy."

Added to my TBR, not sure if I'll be able to read it though...."

If you were nearby, or knew someone involved, you might find it difficult. I'm more than halfway through and there has been little graphic description, except where appropriate, and then, it honors the victim rather than being sensationalist. I'm from California...it was surrealistic and horrifying but not entwined in our lives. I'm sure it matters.

message 35: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Good to know, Glennis. I’ll keep that one in mind.

message 36: by Karolyn (new)

Karolyn | 112 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I finished Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster for tragedy. It was an intense read."

I just finished this too. You're right, it's intense. I'm glad you recommend it, I learned a lot and want to read more on the topic.

message 37: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I am glad you found it a worthwhile read, Karolyn.

message 38: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments Private Peaceful is certainly a tragedy. And it's a great book. I'd really recommend it. But read something cheerful afterwards.

message 39: by Trisha (last edited May 20, 2018 03:43PM) (new)

Trisha | 826 comments I just finished reading Scoop by Evelyn Waugh. It started well & was quite amusing at first. The story soon became ridiculous & boring. I was glad when it ended, but wish I hadn’t wasted time reading it. Some of the language, by modern standards, was racist & offensive.

message 40: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I often find that to be true of things written in the early 19th Century. It’s like I have to put on sensitivity armor! I’m not sure why that is, but it must have been trendy or something.

message 41: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone | 140 comments Just finished Very Good, Jeeves! by P.G.Wodehouse. This is a collection of 11 short stories featuring Bertie Wooster and Jeeves. All of them were funny without exception. Great comedy!

message 42: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments Renee wrote: "I often find that to be true of things written in the early 19th Century. It’s like I have to put on sensitivity armor! I’m not sure why that is, but it must have been trendy or something."

That’s interesting, Lesle. It’s the first time I’ve read something where it’s so noticeable.

message 43: by Allison, Quest Hound (last edited May 21, 2018 10:12AM) (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
I really struggle with anything that's supposed to be funny. Either I have no sense of humor, or I prefer to read other genres with witty humor intermingled. Definitely not a fan of slapstick or accidents waiting to happen.

I thought I probably wouldn't participate in this month's genre challenge, but I did read something that was a little too purposely funny for my taste, and I think it could count: Keeping the Castle.

message 44: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments Allison wrote: "I really struggle with anything that's supposed to be funny. Either I have no sense of humor, or I prefer to read other genres with witty humor intermingled. Definitely not a fan of slapstick or ac..."

I’m starting to feel the same way, Allison. For me, the funniest books I’ve read are by Doreen Tovey, especially “Cats in the Belfry” - but they probably only work for people who have cats! I’m not sure if any are still available, they were written years ago. My cat refuses to stay on my lap if I read them, as I disturb her by laughing instead of letting her sleep.

message 45: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I enjoy books by Doreen Tovey, but then I also love cats.

message 46: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
I remember cracking up the first time I read Hamlet - which is supposed to be a tragedy...

message 47: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Oh My God; That’s awesome!

I thought most of Moby Dick was hilarious. Of course, it might have been the deadpan voice of Frank Muller. But it made the book so entertaining.

But then I also have trouble with things that are supposed to be funny. I’m better with comedic elements. A little snark with my romance. A bit of dry wit with my mysteries.

message 48: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I saw a production of Titus Andronicus, one of Shakespeare's most bloody plays, and the director decided to do an almost campy version of that grim play, so that there were some really funny bits because otherwise the play would have been extremely dark.
I find that many books that are supposed to be funny, are not funny for me.

But books by P.G. Wodehouse have never let me down--they are funny.

message 49: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments I've started an Evelyn Waugh. It's Men at Arms. It's supposed to be funny. So far it's mildly amusing, and fortunately no offensive terms of abuse yet. I've heard that Scoop is bad for those.

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura | 48 comments I am reading Lord of the Flies and Cold Comfort Farm for this month.

« previous 1