AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

Author Host Schedule

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca, Champagne Widows, 2021 (last edited Sep 27, 2018 07:26AM) (new)

Rebecca Rosenberg (rebeccarosenberg) | 270 comments Mod
We're excited to have these authors hosting to discuss their American historical fiction titles. We're still confirming some dates and will be updating the schedule regularly. Check back often.

September 2 - Beverly Scott
September 9 - Martha Conway
September 16 - Kathleen Shoop
September 23 - Ann Moore
September 30 - Sally Koslow

October 7 - Joy Jordan-Lake
October 14 - TBA
October 21 - Soraya M. Lane
October 28 - Thelma Adams

November 4 - Ashley Sweeney
November 11 - Laurel Davis Huber
November 18 - Beverly Magid
November 25 - TBA

Lots more amazing authors to come!

message 2: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Sanchez (goodreadscomeileen_sanchez) | 16 comments Looking forward to all these American Historical Fiction authors. Reading Martha Conway's The Underground River right now.

message 3: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Eileen wrote: "Looking forward to all these American Historical Fiction authors. Reading Martha Conway's The Underground River right now."

It is a great book! I really enjoyed it. Loved the character development of May and the historical insights, especially the story of saving African America babies.

message 4: by Claire (new)

Claire Naden | 3 comments Looking forward to this.

message 5: by Martha (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
Eileen wrote: "Looking forward to all these American Historical Fiction authors. Reading Martha Conway's The Underground River right now."

Thanks, Eileen! Hope you enjoy it.

message 6: by Janet (new)

Janet (httpwwwgoodreadscomjanet_benton) So pleased to learn of this group and become a member. I'm a historical fiction reader and writer. My debut novel, Lilli de Jong, came out in hardcover, e-book, and audio in 2017 and in paperback in 2018. I look forward to getting to know members.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda (Book Sniffer) | 5 comments Absolutely love historical fiction. Loving this group and I cant wait to see the author hosting list expand. Would definitely enjoy having more friends that enjoy this same genre.

message 8: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Magid | 15 comments Good Sunday after Thanksgiving:
Looking forward to my week of hosting. I plan to be available live for your questions and comments from 9-11am (Pacific Standard Time) everyday, Monday-Saturday. Everyone who leaves a comment will be entered in the give-away of WHERE DO I GO, my latest novel (I've also written, SOWN IN TEARS and FLYING OUT OF BROOKLYN). It's the story of a young Jewish woman, Leah Peretz, who survives an attack on her village in Russia in 1905 and ultimately comes to America with her two young sons, to join her brothers, only to find that conditions are as poor on the Lower East Side of New York, as the ones in Russia. She becomes involved with trying to change conditions in the sweat shop where she works, while her ten-year-old, Benny has his own problems trying to fit in to a world he doesn't understand. All the Leah hopes for is a chance for a good life for herself and her boys and add a little love and beauty to her surroundings.
Can't wait to hear from you all!

message 9: by Barbara (last edited Nov 25, 2018 06:58PM) (new)

Barbara Artson (barbara_artson) | 21 comments Hi Beverly,
Your novel, although different, bares striking similarities to mine. My back cover reads "Odessa, Odessa follows the fates of two sons from a proud lineage of rabbis and cantors in a shtetl near the Black Sea in Western Russia. As two brothers [and their families] emigrate out of Russia to escape anti-Semitism, one choose American and the other Israel/Palestine. The generations move forward in the 20th century from N.Y. to Brighton Beach and Los Angeles, as the children and grandchildren assimilate into a new culture. A sweeping tale of love, faith, and tradition, etc. etc. I'd love to trade books. You?

message 10: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Magid | 15 comments Sounds like an interesting trade. Email me at bewrite22@gmail.com

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 03, 2020 09:21AM) (new)

Which authors do you have lined up for 2020?

message 12: by Fred (new)

Fred Dickey (goodreadscomfreddickey) | 55 comments Would love to be on this list! Maybe Nov.
I have a new historical novel coming out in Oct.
Here is a recent review from Reader's Favorite (5 Stars):
"Author Fred Dickey has crafted a really interesting novel with plenty of historical flavor, setting out the harsh realities of this time period (1844), but also its many rewards and triumphs for true hard work. It was clear to see that the author engaged in heavy research for the piece, as every page is packed with intricate historical details. This treatment also extends into the dialogue and atmosphere of the story, which felt authentically voiced and never too modernized, and yet it was penned in a style very accessible for modern audiences to grasp. This is in part due to the trailblazing Hannah, who is ahead of her time and makes an excellent central focal point for the tale. Overall, I would highly recommend Every Step Was Hell: Love and Loss on the Oregon Trail as an accomplished work of historical fiction. "