AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

WELCOME to The American Historical Novel Club!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rebecca, Champagne Widows, 2021 (last edited Apr 29, 2019 06:10AM) (new)

Rebecca Rosenberg (rebeccarosenberg) | 270 comments Mod
Welcome to the American Historical Novels!

We feature historical fiction novels set in America by some of your favorite authors. Authors will rotate hosting the group to discuss their novels about noteworthy Americans and American events. Lots of discussion, photos, insights from authors AND WEEKLY GIVEAWAYS!

Authors, if you're interested in hosting, please email rebecca@rebecca-rosenberg.com

message 2: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Heigelmann (cjheigelmann) I am happy to be invited, as an author of Historical Fiction and as a fan!

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
Yay! Welcome.

message 4: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve Graham (goodreadscomgenevievegraham) Thanks for the invitation, Amy! So I'm guessing by 'American' you mean 'North American', right? ;)

message 5: by Rebecca, Champagne Widows, 2021 (new)

Great Question! Can you name a historical fiction from Central or South America? I remember reading one from Isabel Allende!

message 6: by Martha (new)

My husband and I were talking about this last night. I don't think we need to limit it to North America. There is so much historical fiction set in England and Europe, that (to my mind at least) we wanted to bring the conversation over to this part of the world.

I would love Isabel Allende to host a week!

message 7: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Hawkins | 2 comments Thanks so much for the invite! I'm not much of a social butterfly, but I'll try to comment now and then. :)

message 8: by Ciara (new)

Ciara Knight (ciaraknight) | 1 comments Thank you so much for the invitation. I am honored to be a part of your club. I write American Hstorical sweet romance, my newest series starts with my USA Today Bestselling Novel, Love on the Prairie.

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1 comments I’m happy to join this group. My American historical novel Go Away Home is set in Iowa in the years leading up to WWI.

message 10: by Martha (new)

So glad to see all you writers as well as the many readers! I bet we'll have some lively discussions. One question I always have for other writers: what made you set your novel in the time period you chose?

message 11: by Christa (new)

Christa Thank you for the invite. I’m looking forward to exploring this genre a bit more.

message 12: by Alice (new)

Alice | 11 comments Have you decided what constitutes "historical"?

message 13: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cinderlu) | 5 comments HI my name is Cindy and I just joined the group ! I listen/read many genres. I use Audible, Overdrive, Axis360 and even library Playaways! I'm a book a holic. I just learned I have a new fav genre, historical fiction although love the thrillers also. ALL of my books are audio.

message 14: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne Blasberg (jeanneblasberg) | 49 comments Thanks for the invitation. So happy to be included - Jeannie

message 15: by Martha (new)

Hi Cindy and Jeannie! Glad you could join us. I'm also a bookaholic, and I've lately become addicted to audiobooks. I always have one going when I'm in the car, and it's great for when I work around the house, too. Plus the perennial book by my bed. Do you usually have more than one book going at a time, like me?

-Martha

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cinderlu) | 5 comments Martha wrote: "Hi Cindy and Jeannie! Glad you could join us. I'm also a bookaholic, and I've lately become addicted to audiobooks. I always have one going when I'm in the car, and it's great for when I work aroun..."

Yes, if I only have my phone with me and that book ends I start another on my phone then I might have a Play away or different download on my laptop. Guess you could say my bases are loaded!

message 17: by Martha (new)

Love it!

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda (linda_ballou) | 25 comments Rebecca wrote: "Welcome to the American Historical Fiction Book Club!

We feature historical fiction novels set in America by some of your favorite authors. Authors will rotate hosting the group to discuss their n..."

Martha wrote: "Love it]

Thank you for inviting me. I am the author of Wai-nani: A Voice from Old Hawai'i. Although the culture is Polynesian Hawaii is part of America and American history. Wai-nani is inspired by the life Ka'ahumanu the most powerful woman in old Hawaii. I would love to have readers in this group. Mahalo Linda BallouWai-nani: A Voice from Old Hawaii

Rebecca wrote: "Welcome to the American Historical Fiction Book Club!

We feature historical fiction novels set in America by some of your favorite authors. Authors will rotate hosting the group to discuss their n..."

message 19: by Gina (new)

Gina | 0 comments Rebecca wrote: "Welcome to the American Historical Fiction Book Club!

Thank you for the invitation! So excited to be a part of this group!

message 20: by Kim (new)

Kim Richardson Thanks so much for the invitation, Rebecca! This looks like a fabulous group and I'm honored to be a part of it. I'm a Kentucky author who writes historical novels set in Kentucky. This is my first posting in a Goodreads group, so bear with me while I get my footing.

message 21: by Martha (new)

Kim wrote: "Thanks so much for the invitation, Rebecca! This looks like a fabulous group and I'm honored to be a part of it. I'm a Kentucky author who writes historical novels set in Kentucky. This is my first..."
Welcome, Kim! I was in Kentucky just last summer, on a book tour along the Ohio River. Beautiful country and very welcoming people!

I'm thrilled at the mix of readers and writers who are in this group. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your work.
-Martha

message 22: by Erin (new)

Erin (readingwitherin) | 1 comments Thank you so much for the invite, Rebecca! I can't wait to learn from my fellow readers and find some new authors.

message 23: by Mary (last edited May 17, 2018 09:11PM) (new)

Mary | 33 comments Opps!

message 24: by Mary (new)

Mary | 33 comments Allende is wonderful. House of Spirits is exquisite. I enjoyed Daughter of Fortune too. It’s set in Californifa.

message 25: by Martha (new)

Alice wrote: "Have you decided what constitutes "historical"?"
Good question ... 50 years in the past might seem a good benchmark, but we're flexible here!

message 26: by Peni (new)

Peni Renner (penijo_renner) | 26 comments Hi all! I'm hosting starting May 27.... Peni Jo Renner hope I do it right. How do you add photos to posts on here?

message 27: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Hi Everyone,
I just joined at Martha's suggestion. I am the author of "Sarah's Secret: A Western Tale of Betrayal and Forgiveness". The book was inspired by by mysterious grandfather. It is set in the American West in the late 1800's and early 1900's.
I too, like readers and writers among us. I am excited to participate.

message 28: by Linda (new)

Linda (linda_ballou) | 25 comments My novel Wai-nani: A Voice from Old Hawaii is set in pre-contact Hawaii.There is some argument about the idea that Hawaiians are native americans, but think my book should qualify for this book club.Wai-nani: A Voice from Old Hawaii

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy  Elliott  (aelliott) | 1 comments Thanks for the invite!

message 30: by Jerri (new)

Jerri Hines | 1 comments Thanks for the invitation. What a great idea. I love American History, having written three American Historical series. I'm also an avid reader. I'm looking forward to discovering more books to enjoy.

message 31: by Ilene (new)

Ilene Harris (gahish) | 18 comments Glad to get invited.

message 32: by Martha (new)

Welcome, Ilene!

message 33: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Johnson | 13 comments Thanks for the invitation! Very excited about this group.

message 34: by Rebecca, Champagne Widows, 2021 (new)

Beverly wrote: "Hi Everyone,
I just joined at Martha's suggestion. I am the author of "Sarah's Secret: A Western Tale of Betrayal and Forgiveness". The book was inspired by by mysterious grandfather. It is set in ..."

Hi Beverly, We have an open POP-UP week this week. Would you like to talk about your book? I'll open a folder for you!

message 35: by Rebecca, Champagne Widows, 2021 (new)

Hi Linda, Would you like to do a post about your book this week? We have an open POP_UP week! Let me know and I'll open a folder for you!

message 36: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Sorry Rebecca, not a good week for me. Have family arriving shortly.

message 37: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Thanks for inviting me.

message 38: by Eileen (last edited Jul 23, 2018 09:38AM) (new)

Eileen Sanchez (goodreadscomeileen_sanchez) | 16 comments I'm excited to be part of this group. Historical fiction is my first choice when looking for a good read. And I have finished my own first novel which will be published in Fall 2019. I will share more info on it soon and would love advice and support from this group as move through the publishing process.

message 39: by Paddy (new)

Paddy Hirsch | 3 comments Thank you! It’s great to be here!

message 40: by Linda (new)

Linda Ulleseit (lindaulleseit) | 50 comments Martha wrote: "So glad to see all you writers as well as the many readers! I bet we'll have some lively discussions. One question I always have for other writers: what made you set your novel in the time period y..."

My novel UNDER THE ALMOND TREES is set in early California. I'm fascinated by California history because my family came there in 1850 and my grandmother's stories make great novels!

message 41: by Linda (new)

Linda Ulleseit (lindaulleseit) | 50 comments Linda wrote: "My novel Wai-nani: A Voice from Old Hawaii is set in pre-contact Hawaii.There is some argument about the idea that Hawaiians are native americans, but think my book should qualify for this book clu..."

Ooh! I have to read this! My WIP is ALOHA SPIRIT, set in territorial Hawaii

message 42: by Martha (new)

Hi Linda!! So glad you're here.

-Martha

message 43: by Paddy (new)

Paddy Hirsch | 3 comments Thanks for including me in this group! I am still trying to get to grips with Goodreads, but it looks like a lot of fun - so many great recommendations for my own research and pleasure (not that research isn't a pleasure...usually!).

message 44: by Cat (new)

Cat Gardiner | 2 comments Thank you for inviting me! I'm so happy to be here!!
I'm a New York girl living and writing in Florida about the two places I love :) My WWII Romance Epic novel: A Moment Forever is set in 1942/43 and 1992 on the Gold Coast of Long Island and the Tampa Bay area of Florida.

message 45: by J. (last edited Dec 13, 2018 10:51AM) (new)

J. Else (jelse) | 1 comments Thanks very much for the invite. I'm excited to be a part of the group!

At the moment, I write books set in ancient Egypt (The Forgotten: Aten's Last Queen & The Forgotten: Heir of the Heretic, the fantasy world of Avalon (Descendants of Avalon (Awakenings)), and have a sci fi novella Strangely Constructed Souls) out.

Reading historical fiction is totally my thing, and I look forward to seeing who will be hosting. Best!

message 46: by Carol (new)

Carol | 87 comments J. wrote: "Thanks very much for the invite. I'm excited to be a part of the group!

At the moment, I write books set in ancient Egypt (The Forgotten: Aten's Last Queen & [book:The Forgotten: ..."

I enjoy reading historical fiction set in ancient Egypt. Thanks for the introduction to your books.

message 47: by Martha (new)

J. wrote: "Thanks very much for the invite. I'm excited to be a part of the group!

At the moment, I write books set in ancient Egypt (The Forgotten: Aten's Last Queen & [book:The Forgotten: ..."

Your novels sound so interesting. Welcome to the group!

-Martha

message 48: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Haines (carolynhaines) I'm very happy to be here too. I'm just getting my feet wet, reading comments to be sure of the parameters of the group. Looks like a lot of very interesting writers and books.

message 49: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Baily (sydney_jane_baily) Hi, I'm glad to be a part of this group. I have to say I still find Goodreads a little overwhelming. I feel as if I've finally found my way around FB groups, but over here, I still get a little lost. I write historical romance and for years concentrated only on Victorian-era stories set in the United States -- in Boston, San Francisco, and places in between, such as Colorado, and even a riverboat romance on the Mississippi. Lately, I've been writing a Victorian London series, but I have a character from Book 4 of my American Defiant Hearts series who is calling out for his own book, which I hope to write next. If you would like to check out my Victorian American series (there are six books so far), it is available in KU, in both digital and paperback by clicking here: https://amzn.to/2VrK8v3. Thanks! Glad to be part of this group.

message 50: by Martha (new)

Sydney wrote: "Hi, I'm glad to be a part of this group. I have to say I still find Goodreads a little overwhelming. I feel as if I've finally found my way around FB groups, but over here, I still get a little lost..."

Thanks, Sydney. Glad you found your way to us! We also have a corresponding FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ameri...

-Martha

« previous 1