History: Actual, Fictional and Legendary discussion

Favorite Historical Movies

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Craig (new)

Craig Dressler (craigdressler) | 4 comments I thought it would be okay to include a short list of my favorite historical movies here:
1) Friendly Persuasion - This one will make you laugh
2) Sergeant York - This is true biographical account of a WWI hero.
3) The Angel and the Badman - This is an older John Wayne movie with an unusual twist on the usual gunslinger hero plot.

message 2: by KOMET (last edited Apr 26, 2018 10:21AM) (new)

KOMET | 48 comments 1) THE CRUEL SEA (1953) - starring Jack Hawkins and Denholm Elliot

2) LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (1962) - starring Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif, Anthony Quinn, Jack Hawkins, Anthony Quayle, and José Ferrer

3) LION OF THE DESERT (1981) - starring Rod Steiger, Anthony Quinn, and Oliver Reed

message 3: by James (new)

James Loftus KOMET wrote: "1) THE CRUEL SEA (1953) - starring Jack Hawkins and Denholm Elliot

2) LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (1962) - starring Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif, Anthony Quinn, Jack Hawkins, Anthony Quayle, and José Ferrer
..."

Loved Lawrence Of Arabia!
Where's he from again?

message 4: by James (new)

James Loftus I saw a great very historically accurate film recently:
THE WITCH (2015) directed by Robert Eggers

message 5: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen Woods (maryellen_woods) | 2 comments Ride With the Devil starring Tobey McGuire. Gods and Generals - one of Ted Turner's finest. The Great Locomotive Chase starring Fess Parker, laughable special effects but accurate and not bad for the time it was made.

message 6: by Parker (new)

Parker | 8 comments Dances with Wolves, Geronimo, Glory. Gettysburg was good, but I was too busy looking for my friends (I used to be a Civil War reenactor) to pay much attention to the movie itself.

TVwise, Outlander, The Hatfields and McCoys, anything Masterpiece (PBS) puts on...

message 7: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen Woods (maryellen_woods) | 2 comments Parker wrote: "Dances with Wolves, Geronimo, Glory. Gettysburg was good, but I was too busy looking for my friends (I used to be a Civil War reenactor) to pay much attention to the movie itself.

TVwise, Outland..."

Parker, I am a reenactor also. I was filmed for Gods and Generals but my scene got cut! I have friends in Glory and Andersonville. How did I forget Glory!

message 8: by Brent (new)

Brent Nichols | 1 comments Not in the favorite category but a really interesting movie that I watched this weekend is Imagination Game, based on a book titled Alan Turing: The Egnima.

Story about how a group of mathematicians unlock the German Secret code.

message 9: by Gary (new)

Gary Brecht (illuminater) | 3 comments While this may not technically be called a "movie," I thoroughly enjoyed "Band of Brothers," the TV series inspired by the novel which follows Easy Company of the Currahee Battalion, 101st Airborne: It follows this unit from training stateside, through D-Day, and on to the Eagle's Nest (Hitler's hideout in the mountains). This would be my favorite historical "movie."