American Westerns discussion

Favorite Humorous Western Movie

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Craig (new)

Craig Dressler (craigdressler) | 6 comments Gary Cooper stars in both of my favorite humorous westerns. The first is Friendly Persuasion and the second is Along Came Jones. Friendly Persuasion is not your usual western because it is more about family life, but the humor is some of the best I've seen on film anywhere. Along Came Jones has a twist on the gunslinger hero that makes you chuckle in a big way.

The Celtic Rebel (Richard) (the_celtic_rebel) Favorite Humorous one for me would be McLintock. Love that movie and the chemistry between the cast esp. John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.

message 3: by Still (new)

Still (mantan) | 74 comments Craig wrote: "Gary Cooper stars in both of my favorite humorous westerns. The first is Friendly Persuasion and the second is Along Came Jones. Friendly Persuasion is not your usual western because it is more abo..."

Never thought much of the sub-genre before...I was thinking of Burt Kennedy's slapstick films (his "real" Westerns are terrific).

I was thinking, "I don't like humorous Westerns" in general until you brought up "Along Came Jones".
That one is a favorite.

message 4: by Edwin, Moderator (new)

Edwin (edmandu) | 230 comments Most of the Westerns from the 30s and 40s had some element of humor - think Gabby Hayes and Andy Devine. Not so much humor since.

message 5: by Still (new)

Still (mantan) | 74 comments Edwin wrote: "Most of the Westerns from the 30s and 40s had some element of humor - think Gabby Hayes and Andy Devine. Not so much humor since."

Nice observation. The 30s & 40s Westerns didn't often take themselves so seriously.

Buck Jones -as grim as it occasionally got in many of his films- often played the buffoon.

The Three Mesquiteers were always mocking each other.

Roy Rogers often suffered the indignities of not only Gabby Hayes but the Sons of the Pioneers and Bob Nolan on occasion.
Gene Autry had Smiley Burnette's nonsense to contend with.

Gabby Hayes- by the way -is my guru and Mantan Moreland is the lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.

Andy Devine ... there are tales best not told in mixed company.

message 6: by David (new)

David | 8 comments I’ll probably be the odd man out with this one but mine would have to be “My Name is Nobody” with Henry Fonda and Terrence Hill.

message 7: by Still (new)

Still (mantan) | 74 comments David wrote: "I’ll probably be the odd man out with this one but mine would have to be “My Name is Nobody” with Henry Fonda and Terrence Hill."

Love that film!
I've read that Terrence Hill couldn't speak a word of English. Really would like to know how they worked out the interactions between Fonda and Terrence.

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim (timi2u) | 66 comments Kind of an off beat choice, but I’m a huge spaghetti western fan in addition to the traditional western classics, and while you’ve all mentioned many of my favorites, my dark horse choice is “My Name Is Nobody” with Terence Hill and Henry Fonda & written by Sergio Leone. I also like Hill’s “Trinity” movies with Bud Spencer, lots of slapstick and overall silliness that is a change up from my usual choice of western movies.

The Celtic Rebel (Richard) (the_celtic_rebel) I love many of the Spaghetti westerns too. Most of the ones I have watched have some humor to them.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Barraclough | 13 comments The Hallelujah Trail

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Jr. (robpeecher) | 2 comments Support Your Local Gunfighter.

I like James Garner and Jack Elam.

message 12: by Gary (last edited Jun 06, 2018 05:16AM) (new)

Gary Sundell | 22 comments McLintock! Which is a western version of Taming of the Shrew. What a cast.

Suport Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter. Elam and Brennan in the first one along with Garner and clueless Bruce Dern. Harry Morgan is great in both films too.

Blazing Saddles. Another great cast.

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul Varner | 2 comments Blazing Saddles hands down. Unfortunately in all genres once the parodies start coming out the popularity of the genre diminishes significantly. Blazing Saddles was a huge turning point in the downward spiral of movie westerns.

message 14: by Edwin, Moderator (new)

Edwin (edmandu) | 230 comments Seth MacFarlane made a Western parody in 2014 called "A Million Ways to Die in the West". It tanked at the box office. Anyone see it?

message 15: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell | 22 comments Paul wrote: "Blazing Saddles hands down. Unfortunately in all genres once the parodies start coming out the popularity of the genre diminishes significantly. Blazing Saddles was a huge turning point in the down..."

Pretty much. The last real good year for westerns saw the release of The Shootist and The Outlaw Josey Wales. There have been other fine western movies since then, Unforgiven, 3:10 to Yuma (the remake) and Silverado come to mind, but they are rare.

message 16: by Craig (new)

Craig Dressler (craigdressler) | 6 comments Still wrote: "Edwin wrote: "Most of the Westerns from the 30s and 40s had some element of humor - think Gabby Hayes and Andy Devine. Not so much humor since."

Nice observation. The 30s & 40s Westerns didn't oft..."

Still wrote: "Edwin wrote: "Most of the Westerns from the 30s and 40s had some element of humor - think Gabby Hayes and Andy Devine. Not so much humor since."

Nice observation. The 30s & 40s Westerns didn't oft..."

Thanks for that. I just smiled as read that thinking of Gabby Hayes and some of the others.

message 17: by Lea (new)

Lea Carter (klcislc) | 8 comments I hope spoofs count! :D The Wackiest Wagon Train West is my favorite plain old funny western.