Litwit Lounge discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reggia (last edited Apr 26, 2018 09:54AM) (new)

Reggia | 2308 comments Just using this folder to share links concerning book news and other literary tidbits...

10 of the World's Best Book Towns

~from www.guardian.com

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1752 comments Neat idea, Reggia!
Even just the names of some of those places are great!

Here's something about one place they left out:

http://www.wigtown-booktown.co.uk/

message 3: by Nina (new)

Nina | 168 comments Hay on Wye was barely mentioned and not as one of the ten. It is amazing. Can't think any could be better.

message 4: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2308 comments Would be fun to visit any of these towns... here's more on the bookish town that inspired so many others:

Hay-on-Wye

message 5: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2308 comments I'd love to visit Wigtown in Scotland.

message 6: by Nina (new)

Nina | 168 comments Hay on Wye brings back such fun memories.

message 7: by Reggia (last edited May 26, 2019 03:50PM) (new)

Reggia | 2308 comments Turkish Garbage Collectors Open Library Full of Discarded Books

Turkish garbage collectors in the country’s capital city of Ankara have opened a public library that is full of books that were originally destined to be put into landfill. The workers began collecting discarded books and opened the new library in the Çankaya district of Ankara. News of the library has spread and now people have begun donating books directly to the library, rather than throwing them away.

Turkish Garbage Collectors Open Library Full of Discarded Books

description

message 8: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2308 comments It's nice to know they saved these books from being destroyed. Imagine how many will be read, and reread.

message 9: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2251 comments That's a welcome change from the usual bad news that dominates the media, Reggia! Thanks for sharing it.

message 10: by Reggia (last edited Jun 12, 2019 09:02PM) (new)

Reggia | 2308 comments This next link has spoof videos done by librarians -- got a big kick out of them. They are a couple years old, one that I've seen circulated a few times but the others were new to me.

Librarians Are Secretly the Funnest People Alive

~linked from www.electricliterature.com

message 11: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2251 comments Reggia, thanks for sharing those! I didn't really care for the last one, but I thought the others were pretty cute. (Of course, I'd probably appreciate them even better if I wasn't tone deaf, and actually had some knowledge of the pop music they're riffing off of. :-) )