Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Little Fires Everywhere

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2112 comments I know that several want to read this for next month but can't get a copy in time. I have an ebook copy. If you are comfortable downloading it, you can have it. The link is to the file on my google drive. It is not going to take you to another site or anything like that. You just click on the link and then download the book.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zurs...

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9680 comments I have been trying to compile the new list of who is reading it. Jason and I, possibly Nicole R and Joni, if they can get their hands on a copy, and Robert if he has time. Who else were the 5 or 6 possibilities from the time to vote thread?

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2112 comments Amy, they can get a copy from the link above. ebook copy.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9680 comments I saw that, which I thought was really great because not only could they read the book but let us know they were reading it so we know who were waiting for as we are all writing our reviews. You know me, I’m print all the way and I don’t yet have a copy of it. I guess if I had to I could order the audio since I’ve become adept at that through my temporary project. But my true hope is that it shows up at the library by my request, or that on my frequent visits to the library, I pick it up as a seven day speed read. I’m very sure it will show up in that form faster. But I’m definitely reading at this May.

message 5: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2775 comments I’ve put a hold on it at the library but it’s a 12 week wait, ugh. So I’ll have to catch up with you all later ...

message 6: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3874 comments I picked a copy of this up, but I'm still not sure if I'll read it in May or not.

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7873 comments Amy wrote: "I have been trying to compile the new list of who is reading it. Jason and I, possibly Nicole R and Joni, if they can get their hands on a copy, and Robert if he has time. Who else were the 5 or 6 ..."

I am not reading it this month, I don't have time to read that many books! I do want to get to it eventually but am going to stick to my hold at the library.

I appreciate the offer of a free book though, Jason!

message 8: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9291 comments Does it fit the Decathlon? That's the one I'm having trouble with choosing something for. Thanks!

message 9: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7873 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Does it fit the Decathlon? That's the one I'm having trouble with choosing something for. Thanks!"

No, Cindy, it is not on the Booker shortlist.

message 10: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I am also going to read this, I have the book already.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9680 comments So glad you are going to read it with us, Lady Linda.

message 12: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9291 comments Nicole R wrote: "LibraryCin wrote: "Does it fit the Decathlon? That's the one I'm having trouble with choosing something for. Thanks!"

No, Cindy, it is not on the Booker shortlist."

Oh, that's too bad. Thanks for letting me know. Guess I have to head back over to the list to pick something!

message 13: by Joni (new)

Joni | 625 comments Thank you. I may consider it again. I have my plan for May set but maybe I can fit it in.

message 14: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I’m also on long hold at library. I was hoping for audio on this one.

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2112 comments JoLene. I have audio also if you would like it.

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9680 comments Started the audio, but have no idea when on earth I’d fit it in to finish it, no matter how captivating the tale might turn out to be. Might have to grab this from the library speed read. It’s mercurial but my best likely option. I’m with Elizabeth Alaska who commented on another thread, whatever happened to real reading? I’m still flummoxed myself. Not a true convert yet....

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2112 comments I always have an audiobook and a ebook or "real book" going at the same time

message 18: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9291 comments Jason wrote: "I always have an audiobook and a ebook or "real book" going at the same time"

I do, too, Jason. The audio, I can listen to while I do other things, whether that be housework, yardwork (which sadly for me - I hate yardwork!) will start soon, or just walking. The e-book or print book, I can read when I have time to sit and open it up, either at home or on the bus or train.

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9680 comments OK. Maybe I’m not suited for audio I maybe this is just a really hard book to follow and print as well. Or maybe I just got involved in my project and I got distracted. But I’m already on chapter 5 and I really have no clue what’s going on. I can’t follow a damn thing. Plus there are all these other families from the initial one that was presented. At least I think they are, because as I come in and out I have no idea. Then there is the idea that this particular book has gotten reviews that are Really so far strung across the map. There are people who have raved, and there are people who just were so terribly disappointed and didn’t understand the rave. There were plenty of in between a, general “meh” and there were those who thought it was just fine, no biggie. I mean I really put this on and off my TBR so many times I thought it was a yo-yo. Finally I took it off and said somebody’s going to have to give me a reason to pick this up. That reason came when family drama became the tag, as it also fits my second list Topia list. So I knew I was picking it up this year anyway. But let me tell you, the audio is not working for me. I’m going to have to find a print copy and try again. Jason, how are you finding this thing?

message 20: by Susie (new)

Susie Amy, if you got the audio from Audible you can return it, but only on the desktop version.

message 21: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7873 comments Something I say to a lot of people who are just starting on Audio or often say that they cannot follow/focus is that Audiobooks are a skill, just like reading comprehension. It takes time and practice to become comfortable with listening and comprehending, which is very different for your brain than the visual pathway.

I always recommend that people start with something not too hard. Make sure it is a book that you are really interested in reading, perhaps one without a lot of jumping around in time or a lot of characters. Be sure to sample the books so you know you can stand the narrator. Maybe pick one on the shorter side and work your way up to those 30+ hour epics.

Picking up your first Audio and expecting it to be the same experience you have reading a book is unrealistic and you'll be setting yourself up to be discouraged. It is different, but embrace the change.

Having said that, I still struggle a bit each time I start an audio. I am not yet invested in the story, I am figuring out the characters, my brain is associating each character with the narrators voice/inflection for that person. It typically takes me a good hour of each book to really settle in, and sometimes I have to restart those first 15 minutes a couple of times until I really lock in.

Of course, everyone's experience is different, but just a few things to consider as you dive into the world of Audio!

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9680 comments That’s really helpful, Nicole. Having just read or reread and away the first 10% of the book. I can see that I missed the entire thing on the audio. I think it does take some getting used to. I had wondered if I started it now at chapter 4 or Chapter 5, Now that I’m re-oriented, if it would make a difference. I think those are great helpful hints. Thank you.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

It also may be dependent upon someone’s learning style. In college I struggled retaining information during lectures unless the class was actively engaged. I learned the best reading the information in notes or books.
But this is great advice and maybe I’ll try again.

message 24: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3729 comments I had never thought about "learning" to listen to audio books, but that totally makes sense.
There have been a couple titles that struck my fancy for audio (book I like, narrator I like), but never have just because my listening time is relegated to podcasts.

I read Little Fires Everywhere in hardcover, and I absolutely loved it. Great book, interesting characters, thought-provoking.
The plot seems almost mundane in description, but it certainly doesn't read that way.

I am looking forward to reading Everything I Never Told You for the May tag: family drama (at least it seems to fit the tag and other readers mentioned it).

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6519 comments The way I started audios was to listen to books I had previously read, but which I wanted to refresh my memory before my F2F book club. Sissy Spacek narrated To Kill a Mockingbird, and Ruby Dee performed the audio of Their Eyes Were Watching God
Then I listened to a couple of cozy mysteries. Lisset Lecat voices all the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series and she's marvelous (I don't read them at all anymore ... I just listen). Flavia De Luce comes to life via the fabulous Jayne Entwistle (first book in the series is The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

And I was ready to graduate to more significant works. I confess I had to back up and re-listen when I tried The House of Mirth, but I eventually learned to listen.

I never play the radio in the car any more... I listen to books.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

That’s a really good idea. I’ve been looking at a few books today to give it another try.

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9680 comments 40-50% in, and I’m in it now. There are themes in there that break my heart and that I wouldn’t have necessarily chosen. Joi - this may not be the book for you. But I am engaged in it.

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9680 comments Her's a copy of my review so those who want to talk about it more intricately, we can do so here. if and when I'm ready. I'm not sure I will ever be ready. I feel a little gutted.

One thing to add on this thread, is that Celeste Ng turns out to live like 20 minutes from me. I don't know why that moves me, but it does. Boston and Cambridge and Massachusetts has such prolific authors, some who are my all time favorites. Interesting to know that she is here too.

I also feel I should mention, which I didn't anywhere else, that I was not a lover of her first book - which everyone adored. I gave that a three - that was a meh for me. But I enjoyed this one, so much better.

Its possible there are spoilers contained within, although not specific ones, even though I try so so hard to make sure not to ruin a book experience for anyone. I suppose the spoiler piece is the mood at the book's end. If you haven't read the book, you may not want to hear my review.

I couldn't sleep, and so I finished the book.

Taking me a few minutes to get my thoughts together. The ending, the seemingly abrupt ending, is still with me. I am now left with all these characters, and their situations and circumstances, and they are each somewhat like a leaf in the wind. You don't know where they are, what is going to happen. One might guess, but is guessing enough? I am feeling loss - and the loss of the unknown. You can scorch something to the ground, but then what of what is left behind? I feel like Ms. Richardson outside her home. Lost, bereft, confused, and sad. Actually, that feeling epitomizes all of the characters, from the major to minor. Each ends up like one of Mia's photographs. Essentially themselves, and a composition of the grey and the complexities. One thing is clear in life. There isn't always a right answer or a clear path, and the actions we take, mistakes or not have consequences. Good choices aren't always right choices, but they aren't always wrong either. And even throughout all of these various playouts in the book, there is love. In every single one of the broken relationships there is love. That's what I am left with now. Countless broken relationships, more than I can stand, but always, always love. That's what I am left with. All the broken relationships and all of the love. Half hidden information, possible later connections, a chance at understanding more deeply, maybe not. But love.

I have made much of how across the map the reviews have been. Some have loved it, some have hated it. Some have been meh, some a little more or less than meh. This book won the 2017 prize for Amazon/Goodreads due to its popularity and that fact made many quite baffled. This book went on and off my TBR so many times, I considered it the most Yo Yo'ed book I had ever seen. Finally I couldn't take it anymore, it went off my TBR for good. But then the tag of family drama emerged, plus it matches my second Listopia list of Top 100 Amazon favorites of 2017. I could see now was the time to read it. So what's my opinion. 4 stars and I enjoyed reading it, even with all the emotions I went through during and are left with afterward.

Now those that know me, know that I usually end up on the underside of a rave. With a book of vastly mixed and ranging reviews, I did not expect myself to end up on the positive. But I will go there. Consider myself a surprised lover of this book. I did love it I think. I just don't love the crushing feelings I am left with. But that is the author's lens and privilege. To move us, make us feel. The choices in the book, every single one of them was impossible. I counted 20 broken relationships that moved me, and each one of them was impossible. High level conflict, with love as the only glue. There are no good choices or clear path. Just love.

message 29: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6519 comments I'm up to # 2 on the hold list at the library ....