Horror Aficionados discussion

Audio Group Listens > May 2018 Group Listen: The Broken Girls by Simone St Janes

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3407 comments Mod
Our winner for the Group Listen is The Broken Girls by Simone St. James The Broken Girls

Remember to use spoiler tags and respect others opinions.
Have fun!

message 2: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11283 comments Mod
I’ll join in for this one!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments This was good, I just read it recently. Loved the historical fiction aspect of it.

message 4: by Ami (new)

Ami | 210 comments I have been wanting to read this author for a while now. I have heard good things about her. I will join in on this one too!

Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos | 71 comments I’m in!

Empress Reece (Hooked on Books) (empressreece) | 86 comments Count me in!

Empress Reece (Hooked on Books) (empressreece) | 86 comments I'm at the 47% mark. The audio narrator is doing a nice job of reflecting that haunting eerie atmosphere that Simone has a knack for creating.

Also I'm dying to know Mary Hand's backstory! : )

message 8: by Latasha (new)

I haven't began yet, will probably still be a few weeks. glad to hear your liking it Empress!

Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos | 71 comments I am about a third of the way through. I was listening while taking the trash out last night. I live in the country and it was night... had to turn the book off it was scaring me soooo bad... In short, so far it’s pretty darned awesome!!!

Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos | 71 comments I’m with Empress. I’m dying to know what’s up with Mary Hand. She’s the part that’s creeping me out the most.

message 11: by Latasha (new)

i started this today and i really, really like it so far. we just found the records. the story pulls you right in doesn't it? i really like the flashbacks. gonna see if this author has more books out.

message 12: by Latasha (new)

Omg this is so good!! I’m at around 70% and here’s my theory
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Alabama (new)

Alabama Vee (alabamavee) | 114 comments I am really liking the book and enjoying the narration, nice mixture of creepy and mystery, Am preferring the parts set in the 50s than current day.
Its the first book I have read by this author, am really impressed will have to check out her back catalogue.

message 14: by Latasha (new)

Alabama wrote: "I am really liking the book and enjoying the narration, nice mixture of creepy and mystery, Am preferring the parts set in the 50s than current day.
Its the first book I have read by this author, ..."

I agree completely. I like the 50's parts more but I am certainly not saying the other parts suck, they do not. I am really liking this as well. I can't wait to share it with my mom, she's going to love it too!

message 15: by Latasha (new)

my theory is off, way off, just ignore it.

message 16: by Latasha (new)

I finished today. I loved it! 5 stars from me.

message 17: by Alabama (new)

Alabama Vee (alabamavee) | 114 comments Latasha wrote: "I finished today. I loved it! 5 stars from me."

Just finished, Also 5 stars really fun, thrilling story

message 18: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5537 comments Mod
Just finished the book, though I read it, I didn't listen. It was really good creepy haunting tale, though I much preferred the 1950s story line to the modern day one. It felt more authentic. I think this would make a great, like, 3-5 part mini-series on Netflix or HBO.

message 19: by Latasha (new)

Yes!! I would love to see a movie or show version of this.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments i'm glad you guys liked it!!! Alan, I agree, I loved the historical fiction aspect to it. Sonia's character was so well-done and heartbreaking.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I'm up to the body in the well.,,,

message 22: by Latasha (new)

How do u like it so far?

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I like this novel a lot!

message 24: by Latasha (new)

I’m glad, I did too.

message 25: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 161 comments I'm way behind but finally can join in! I'm about 40% ish done and so far so good. I'm really interesting in Mary Hand as well.

I also really like how (view spoiler)

message 26: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 161 comments I finally finished!

My review (4 stars): This was a fantastic thriller with just enough twinges of Supernatural to it to be believable. I really liked how the story went from 1950 to 2014 back and forth. There were multiple plot lines but it wasn't just enough not to be confusing. I loved the twists and I liked how it ended as well. The importance of female friendship is also highlighted in a great way.

message 27: by Hectaizani (new)

Hectaizani | 165 comments I'm late to the party but I just finished and this book was amazing. It was seriously one of the best books I've read this year. I really liked how it was set up with the flashbacks to the action in the 50's, and the happenings in the present day and how they were all intertwined.

message 28: by Latasha (new)

Yay!! So far this year, this one and Kill Creek are my top 2.

message 29: by Hectaizani (new)

Hectaizani | 165 comments Latasha wrote: "Yay!! So far this year, this one and Kill Creek are my top 2."

I’m going have to push Kill Creek higher up on my to read list.

message 30: by Latasha (new)

It's really good and it's June's group Listen so you can hop over there and see what everyone is saying about it too. I hope you like it.