Play Book Tag discussion

Nora Webster
This topic is about Nora Webster
April 2018: Strong Women > (LISTOPIA) Nora Webster - Colm Toibin (4 stars)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1472 comments (Cross Posted to Listopia Thread)

Nora Webster - Colm Toibin

4 stars

Nora Webster is about a woman who has become a widow at a relatively young age. The story takes place in a small town in Ireland in the 1960s. Nora is the mother of four children and she must deal with her grief while also redefining herself as a single mother. Nora is not always easy to like, but I found myself relating to her. The plot is pretty low key - it is simply about a woman learning to rely on herself. Not much happens and I can see some people finding that boring, but I liked the ordinariness of her life. I think it fits the category of strong women because although some women seem to be born strong and confront what life throws at them, others are made strong by what life gives them. In this case, Nora has no choice but to become strong for herself and her children. She has to learn to do what she needs to do regardless of what others may think of her. I do believe that she was strong.

I listened to the audio version of this novel and the reader was excellent. I definitely recommend it.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 1545 comments Definitely fits the tag. I really enjoyed this book too.