Maryse's Book Blog WolfPack/Bridesmaids Meeting Place discussion

2018 ~ Monthly Challenges > May 2018 ~ TBR Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
The only *rule* for this challenge is that you have to pick a book from your TBR (to be read) file. We want to decrease the size of our back lists, hence the challenge!

This month it is Grey's (gah, talking about myself in the 3rd person is *weird*) turn! My choice for the month is to choose a book that is a continuation in a series!! Happy picking, everyone! Woot, woot! I am sooo excited for May! *tosses bucket loads of glitter and confetti*

message 2: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Ooooh, I have a TON of these!

Of course I'm in!!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so far behind, but when I catch up it will be where I left off on Anna and Charles.

Especially as no one will share what happened in the new one regarding Bran. 😒

message 4: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Happy birthday, bev! 🎉🎉🎂🎂🎈🎈

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you. 😊

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments I am in and I will be reading....either A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3) by Sarah J. Maas or Seed (Evergreen, #2) by Cassia Leo

message 7: by Kooloo (new)

Kooloo | 596 comments 🎉🎉🎊Yay Happy B-Day🎉🎊🎉🎁🎁🎁🎈🎈🎈🥓🥓🥓

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Are you wishing me bacon?

I will take it. Yum.

message 9: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments lol Alright, this will be the easiest for me this year. A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J Maas and Dark Queen by Faith Hunter. :) Both are on pre-order for May 1st.

message 10: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments bev wrote: "I'm so far behind, but when I catch up it will be where I left off on Anna and Charles.

Especially as no one will share what happened in the new one regarding Bran. 😒"

Oooh, I will tell you this. Bran revealed STUFFS that made it very intereresting. I didn't see it, but it explains a lot. Now you DEFINITELY have to read it. 😊 See, a birthday hint. 🎈🎂 🎈🎁🎈🎁🎈🎂🎈

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I am in...no clue what I am reading yet.

message 12: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Yep, I'm with Tessa, I'd preordered A Court of Frost and Starlight...

message 13: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments I am going with Ghost (Boston Underworld, #3) by A. Zavarelli

message 14: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Paula wrote: "I am going with Ghost (Boston Underworld, #3) by A. Zavarelli"

Ghost was good. Dark. I mean, consider the story, but it was so good. And the fouth book is written about the same timeframe, which makes the next story very interesting. 😈

message 15: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments Thanks Tessa, I have the next one too, so could move straight on to that and that would be 2 books off my TBR!

message 16: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Totally in! Let's do Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9) by Patricia Briggs Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9) by Patricia Briggs

message 17: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments So many books I love! Then who'd doubt I'd love Patricia Briggs' books.

message 18: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) Oh yeah I could do this one, cos I've got a Patricia Briggs just waiting there too. But I read Fire Touched recently and now I'm up to Silence fallen. It's sposed to be one of the better ones in the series too. Sweet.

message 19: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments OMG--can y'all believe we're already picking MAY books? I still feel like it was just Christmas!

I'm going to read something from my 'PnR Catch-up' shelf. Either
Cold Reign (Jane Yellowrock, #11) by Faith Hunter Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8) by Patricia Briggs Sweet Ruin (Immortals After Dark, #16) by Kresley Cole Son of No One (Dark-Hunter, #24; Hellchaser, #5; Were-Hunter, #8, Lords of Avalon, #3) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Just need to decide which series I want to get moving again on first. Suggestions are welcome! lol

message 20: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Renee wrote: "OMG--can y'all believe we're already picking MAY books? I still feel like it was just Christmas!

Cold Reign (Jane Yellowrock, #11) by Faith Hunter [..."

Jane. I think that's the best of those. That book is probably the best of the series, or at least one of the best. Sweet Ruin was quite wonderful and in my review I lamented taking so long to read it since it was so good. The Mercy one was really good too. Son of No One was probably the worse book Kenyon wrote. Thankfully, after that, the books in the series are back to being great again.

message 21: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) Renee I've recently been catching up with Mercy Thompson and read and enjoyed Night Broken a few weeks ago. I'd forgotten how fun it is to get lost in her world. I've read two Mercies plus the new Charles and Anna recently. All enjoyable.

message 22: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Tessa--That's a bummer about Son of No One being crap. There have been several of the recent ones that I haven't enjoyed as much as I'd like (I wish they were all as good as Acheron, Styxx, and the earlier books). But I'm glad to hear that the newer ones have gotten better.

And something I read made me realize I should probably read the Chronicle of Nick series (although I love Nick, I was never interested in a YA series). But that's 8 books and now it's continuing into 4 books of the Shadow of Fire series and then the Shadowlands Rider series, so by the time his adult book finally comes out, I'll probably be 70. lol And the thought of reading that many YA books is a little daunting (for me). I would hope that eventually, some of them would be NA.

message 23: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Jan--I've started Night Broken a few times, and for some reason, it's never grabbed me. But I REALLY want to get to Silence Fallen, so that's giving me incentive.

I'll probably for sure try to read Night Broken and Cold Reign (I've never read a bad Jane Yellowrock book) and get to the other two asap. I get started on my PnR/UF, and then a non-PnR book that I want to read comes out and steers me off course every time! lol

But I'm determined to get caught up on all my long-running PnR/UF series by the end of the year. I'm tired of being behind!

message 24: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Renee wrote: "OMG--can y'all believe we're already picking MAY books? I still feel like it was just Christmas!

Cold Reign (Jane Yellowrock, #11) by Faith Hunter [..."

I want to yell IAD but then I want to be selfish and have you join me with Briggs...

message 25: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments I'm in for this one too. I have so many to choose from for this challenge!

Happy belated birthday bev!!!!

message 26: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Renee wrote: "Tessa--That's a bummer about Son of No One being crap. There have been several of the recent ones that I haven't enjoyed as much as I'd like (I wish they were all as good as Acheron, Styxx, and the..."

Wait, I looked at the order. It's still not the best, but the worst was later, Dragonsworn. I almost feel like saying skip Son of No One to Dragonsworn and just jump into Stygian. lol Dragonsworn, well, you get basically Dragonmark with 1/3 of a book. Stygian came along, though, and was everything I love about her books... so, yeah. Skip those and just go straight to Stygian.

message 27: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Renee wrote: "Jan--I've started Night Broken a few times, and for some reason, it's never grabbed me. But I REALLY want to get to Silence Fallen, so that's giving me incentive.

I'll probably for sure try to rea..."

I will say, Silence Fallen was SOOOOO good. Just another one of the best of the series. It'd be worth it to get through Night Broken too just to get to Silence Fallen. :)

message 28: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) Tessa wrote: "Silence Fallen was SOOOOO good. Just another one of the best of the series. "

Sweeeeet.

I realised I'm also behind on the Fever series. The series went pretty lame after a while and I gave up ages ago, but I've heard a couple of the later books are decent. So I should probably give them a try. But for May, it's gonna be Silence Fallen.

Nay, don't give up on Night Broken. It's good - quite gripping actually. You gotta stick with it.

message 29: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Ok, thanks for all the great advice!

I don't know if I can skip those Dark-Hunter books, but maybe I can skim-read. I don't want any of it to be more confusing than it already is by missing out on any characters. And I love reading the books that have things happening at Sanctuary.

I'm going to read Night Broken Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8) by Patricia Briggs to force me to get moving with those books and then I'll also try to read as many of the other 3 as I can.

message 30: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Ok, I have decided....it's going to be:

Worthy of Redemption Worthy of Redemption (Accidentally on Purpose, #2) by L.D. Davis

I absolutley loved Accidentally on Purpose and dont know why I never read this one.

message 31: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I'm going to go ahead and use Execution (Off Balance, #2) Execution (Off Balance, #2) by Lucia Franco for my book here. I gave it 5 stars!

message 32: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) Saving Night Broken for another day, Nay?

message 33: by Steph (new)

Steph | 109 comments Leslie wrote: "Ok, I have decided....it's going to be:

Worthy of Redemption Worthy of Redemption (Accidentally on Purpose, #2) by L.D. Davis

I absolutley loved Accidentally on Purpose and dont know why I never read this one."

hmmm, I read Accidentally and 4* it but can't remember it! (read too much problem) I'd have to do a quick re-read then read book 2 (and 3!)

message 34: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Jan130 wrote: "Saving Night Broken for another day, Nay?"

Yeah, I thought I was ready for PnR, but I'm all caught up in forbiddeny angst right now and loving it, so I don't want to leave quite yet! lol

message 35: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments @ Stephanie - I "think" Worthy of Redemption will be ok to read without too much recollection of Accidentally on Purpose....but will let you know for sure once I finish.

message 36: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Believe it or not BUT I actually remember Accidentally! It was just one of those books!

message 37: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments I tried reading Worthy without a re-read a failed. I could remember him, of course, but I need to re-read to really remember all that happened.

message 38: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
I reread ACOWAR and actually loved it more the second time I read it. who knew. Gah. I'm a big old sap for Rhys...

message 39: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments I loved it more the third time BUT "vulgar language" really needs to be replaced

message 40: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Or it just needs to not be flagged as YA.

message 41: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments I prefer both options.... towards the end of the book I was actually laughing and shaking my head because in one paragraph it was "I sent vulgar language down the bond" and the next one was something like his cock can be persuasive....

message 42: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments lol

message 43: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
I didn't do a pretty graphic this month. Sorry! Laziness... but I did read A Court of Frost and Starlight. And I did read the final copy of Master of My Heart by Marissa Honeycutt that will be released tomorrow... which is book 2 in a series too... so yeah, yay me. haha!

message 44: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Grey, I dont mean to be high maintenance, but I need to change my book. Sorry! In order to get this finished by end of month I need to switch to one available on audio.

So my new book for this challenge is:

Worth It All (The McKinney Brothers, #3) by Claudia Connor Worth it All (The McKinney Brothers #3)

message 45: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Leslie wrote: "Grey, I dont mean to be high maintenance, but I need to change my book. Sorry! In order to get this finished by end of month I need to switch to one available on audio.

So my new book for this ch..."

Oh Leslie, you're good girl... I'm not doing a graphic for this one... at least not right now. I am whipped from my camping excursion this past weekend and I need to find something to read myself. Haha!

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments I selected Seed (Evergreen, #2) by Cassia Leo and rated it 3 stars. Book 1 (Dirt) was 3.5 stars for me, but had a hell of a cliffhanger. Sadly this book went absolutely nowhere and nothing really happened. It ended on another doozy cliffhanger, but I don't think I'm interested. Another off the list though!!

message 47: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments *sighs in relief*

I completed this challenge!

I ended up switching my book to Worth It All (The McKinney Brothers, #3) by Claudia Connor as I needed something I had available on audio. Seems like audios are so much easier to squeeze into a busy day. Anyway, it was ok. 3.5 *** A "like" rather than a "love". It was a sweet story with swoony hero but didnt have any angst which made it a bit lack luster.

message 48: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Oh, I did read a few that was on my TBR before the month started!

Fallen Reign (Se7en Sinners, #4) by S.L. Jennings That was a five star that BROKE my heart. I have hope for a character, though.

Tacet a Mortuis (Whispers from the Dead) (The Elite Kings Club, #3) by Amo Jones Good story and at least the editing improved a bit. STILL needs editing, but the character didn't have a personality disorder at least.

Once Burned (Morelli Family, #3) by Sam Mariano I had that for months, but the book ended up being just as slow as I thought. Good news, it was the only one as I zipped through the rest of the series. (Nope, can't skip this book. It has too many important things in it.)

:)

message 49: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Grey wrote: "I didn't do a pretty graphic this month. Sorry! Laziness... but I did read A Court of Frost and Starlight. And I did read the final copy of Master of My Heart by Marissa Honeycutt that will be rele..."

Grey, how was book 2?

message 50: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments I just started this one for this challenge:

Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson, #3) by Darynda Jones

Love these books!

« previous 1