To Be Renamed... Book Club discussion

A Complicated Kindness
This topic is about A Complicated Kindness
Monthly Group Reads > May 2018 - A Complicated Kindness

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by El, The Reading Ninja (new) - rated it 3 stars

El | 80 comments Mod
We will meet on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at Biddle's Escape (6:30-8:00 pm) to discuss Miriam Toews's 2004 novel, A Complicated Kindness.

From the Goodreads description:
This darkly funny novel is the world according to the unforgettable Nomi, a bewildered and wry sixteen-year-old trapped in a town governed by fundamentalist religion and in the shattered remains of a family it destroyed. In Nomi's droll, refreshing voice, we're told the story of an eccentric, loving family that falls apart as each member lands on a collision course with the only community any of them have ever known. A work of fierce humor and tragedy by a writer who has taken the American market by storm, this searing, tender, comic testament to family love will break your heart.
Note: The time of our meetings have changed started in May 2018 as we are at the mercy of the operating hours of Biddle's. Hope to see you there for food truck and book talk!

message 2: by Rayroy (last edited May 23, 2018 05:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rayroy (lomaxlespark) | 6 comments I really am enjoying this book, not as fucked up as I thought it would be. I never read a book that took place in Manitoba so that's a plus. Also It is not very plot driven, which I always enjoy.

message 3: by El, The Reading Ninja (new) - rated it 3 stars

El | 80 comments Mod
Rayroy wrote: "I really am enjoying this book, not as fucked up as I thought it would be. I never read a book that took place in Manitoba so that's a plus. Also It is not very plot driven, which I always enjoy."

I will be starting this one over the weekend; looking forward to it.

Rayroy (lomaxlespark) | 6 comments There is great conflect in this book, like conflect with those you love.

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (burendasan) | 1 comments I really didn't like the book. Not enough plot for me. At first I was amused by her snarkiness but then it became grating. Also, at the beginning she seemed a bit too worldly for someone is as sheltered as she is. Depressing to read about a girl basically on a downward spiral. Then again, perhaps this is what the author was going for.
It's too bad I won't be able to join you to discuss the book because I often gain a better appreciation of the book when I hear others' perspectives on it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Complicated Kindness (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Miriam Toews (other topics)