Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Archive Sci-fi/Fantasy Reads > Dune by Frank Herbert (May 2018)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (last edited Apr 25, 2018 09:48PM) (new)

Patrick | 655 comments Mod
Paul Atreides is groomed to be the Duke of Caladan by his father, Leto, but a turn of events sends Paul and his family to a desert planet called Arrakis, or Dune. Having arrived on Dune, his family is in charge of the highly coveted spice production. The story explores the complex, multi-layered interactions of politics, religion, ecology, technology, and human emotion as the forces of the empire confront each other for control of Arrakis.

Published in 1965, it won the Hugo Award in 1966 and the inaugural Nebula Award for Best Novel. Dune is frequently cited as the world's best-selling sci-fi novel!

You may begin sooner if you would like!

Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert
May 1-31

message 2: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Rosemarie | 8958 comments Mod
I am in for this one.

message 3: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I am 50 pages into the book. They have just arrived on Arrakis and we have learned some important things about the Lady Jessica.
The atmosphere in the novel is tense, with the emphasis on weapon training, poisoning prevention, and general distrust of everyone but your nearest connections and family.

message 4: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I have read 20% of the book and the action has really picked up. When I read it the first time I read it very quickly because it was so engrossing. This time I am reading it more slowly and paying attention to the details.

message 5: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I have just finished part 1, and it has become exciting and addictive. I am hooked!

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael | 28 comments I first read this many years ago, but it's well worth another reading.

message 7: by Serian (new)

Serian (mamapata) | 14 comments I've heard brilliant things about this, but didn't even know what it was actually about until now. I can't start reading it now, but I would like to in the future!

message 8: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new)

@Rosemarie It’s a very addictive book! I also couldn’t put it down lol.

message 9: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new)

@Michael have you read the whole series?

message 10: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I have just finished Part 2. This book is as good as I remember. I highly recommend it to those who would like to read an excellent science fiction classic.
The main character, Paul, is very sympathetic, and there are also some truly nasty characters, who I truly hope will get what is coming to them.

message 11: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new)

I really liked Paul too. Dune is one of my top favorites.

message 12: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I stayed up late last evening to finish the book, and all I can say is Wow! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️+

I am not going to read the sequels, since I remember them being okay, but not outstanding like this book.

message 13: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I stayed up late last evening to finish the book, and all I can say is Wow! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️+

I am not going to read the sequels, since I remember them being okay, but not outstanding like this book."

I stayed up late when I read it too. I loved it as well.
I've heard that about the other books in the series, but at some point I would like to finish the series. I really like Paul and I want to know more about Arrakis and his family.

message 14: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

You're a lot younger than I am, Patrick. I have two grown up daughters in their 30's.

message 15: by fp63 (new)

fp63 | 17 comments Hi there,
I don't know if it's correct to dig up an old classic thread, but I wanted to share that I read the first volume of Dune.
In french, the translation is correct.
I struggled to keep up because of so many interruptions (reading in the subway, or being interrupted every 30 seconds, or mostly falling asleep) but it's a good story.
I'm happy to have read it, but I don't feel the need to read the next volumes since I have so many classics to read, and also the fantasy genre I want to explore.

message 16: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Thank you for your comments. We keep the threads open for that reason. I am glad you enjoyed the book. In my opinion, the two,sequels that I read were not nearly as good as the first book. I didn't read any of the rest for that reason.
I am glad you had a good translation to read.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dune (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Frank Herbert (other topics)