Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

The Lady By His Side (Devil's Brood Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about The Lady By His Side
Archived: BOM/SGOM > The Lady By His Side (Devil's Brood Trilogy #1) by Stephanie Laurens [Start Date: May 21, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

The Lady By His Side by Stephanie Laurens

A marquess in need of the right bride. An earl’s daughter in search of a purpose. A betrayal that ends in murder and balloons into a threat to the realm.

Sebastian Cynster knows time is running out. If he doesn’t choose a wife soon, his female relatives will line up to assist him. Yet the current debutantes do not appeal. Where is he to find the right lady to be his marchioness? Then Drake Varisey, eldest son of the Duke of Wolverstone, asks for Sebastian’s aid.

message 2: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm in.

message 3: by Kit★ (new) - added it

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Hello, hello! :D

message 4: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments \(^_^)/ me!

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Woohooo!

message 6: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Are you happy with the date?

message 7: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments The date is fine.

message 8: by Kit★ (new) - added it

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Good with me!

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm in!

Kelly I'm in.

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yay! Got this through my library. Don't know how I lucked out.

message 12: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Yaay!
I'll start on Monday!

message 13: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I started this morning. I think I'm about an hour in.

So far so good.
BTW do you want to do DQs or just comment as we go?
I have a couple of Qs in mind. I can post them as i go

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Bring on the Qs, ShoSho.

message 15: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Here we go
Chapter 1 and 2 and maybe a little of 3

1.the more I think about it the more it doesn't make sense! Did you buy the plot? A wants to tell something to D during a house party but it has to be secret because it's about one of the guests! Couldn't he have told D any other way? What did you think of the initial plot?

2. Did you expect him to be upfront with her about his reason for going to the house party?

3. Recently all the historical booksthat I read are about spinsters . In RL 17 to 19 had been the normal marriageage for girls. Why are all the authors are writing about olders heroines? Would you like to read about an 18 year old heroine in your HR?

4. Did you (like me) think it was the ex who was sitting on the bed?

message 16: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Chapter 6:
(view spoiler)

message 17: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited May 23, 2018 07:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Do we really need to know from whom where the characters’ facial features inherited?

message 18: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "Do we really need to know from whom where the characters’ facial features inherited?"

LOL probably not!

message 19: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited May 24, 2018 05:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Chapter 1 and 2 and maybe a little of 3:

1- I think the author is forcing the initial plot, Drake couldn’t go to Ennis’s house and Ennis couldn’t go to London. Couldn’t they meet halfway? Considering how obsessed the upper class where with manners, I can’t buy Drake’s reasons for sending Sebastian in his place. They would have wanted to avoid any unpleasantness. So it was in very bad taste.

2. I didn’t because in historicals male characters tend to keep everything important from the females. I was glad he told her. It shows that he sees her as a person and not just an object to be used. I also like that he keeps her updated.

3. I think that nowadays women wait a bit before getting married, and to me 17/18 seems scandalously young to be married, even if I met my husband when I was 18 and my husband is 8 years older than I am. We didn’t get married until I was 24, I knew I was too young but I can relate to young heroines meeting the love of her life. That being said, as I get older I appreciate reading about older heroes and heroines.

4. For a moment I did!

message 20: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments @Gisela

1. Agree with you completely
2.I was surprised too, I like Sebastian so far. Very much (I'm almost halfway)
3.I think the authors have started leaning toward older heroines too. Specially in HR. Older HRs have a lot of teenage heroines. I'm the same I prefer reading about older Hs

message 21: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments 5. (view spoiler)

message 22: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I don't what chapter but it must be around 50%
What did you think of his theory about blonds red heads and brunettes?

message 23: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Haven’t read that part yet, just finished ch.7 (view spoiler)

message 24: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited May 24, 2018 09:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "Haven’t read that part yet, just finished ch.7 [spoilers removed]"

It's SL style, she's not a fan dialogues, I'd say!

I thought of that!(view spoiler)

message 25: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "Gisela wrote: "Haven’t read that part yet, just finished ch.7 [spoilers removed]"

I thought of that![spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 26: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Gisela wrote: "Haven’t read that part yet, just finished ch.7 [spoilers removed]"

I thought of that![spoilers removed]"

[spoiler..."

hhmmm no it wasn't said! You're right

message 27: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch. 11
(view spoiler)

message 28: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I’m done.

Kelly I just started Chaper 11. But I'm bracing myself for the next 100 pages and clinching my teeth every time I read about Sebastian's "inner self."

message 30: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm done. I'll be back with comments later.

message 31: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I thought it was a typical SL book.
2 things stood out for me
(view spoiler)

Now the question is who wants to do read the next one?
An Irresistible Alliance (Devil's Brood Trilogy #2; Cynster Next Generation #5) by Stephanie Laurens

message 32: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "I thought it was a typical SL book.
2 things stood out for me

1-He was upfront with her and told her EVERYTHING! None of her heroes do that!
2-We usually get a lot of hints about the killer and ot..."

I agree, I liked that he told her instead of manipulating the situation. I loved her character, how she took matters into her own hands and didn’t let him dictate when/if something happened between them.

I guessed correctly about the murderer!

I’m in for the next one, even if I would have preferred more dialogue and the search for the gunpowder was tedious, I mostly enjoyed the book. 3 stars

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Sorry I went AWOL on this one. I have a lot going on and feeling a bit antisocial. I decided to quit my job. (Gave two weeks notice.) I only work about one day a month... kinda "on call" ...but still... it was a bit of a decision that kept me awake a few nights.

Also, I was walking a lot and I don't know how to download things from Hoopla onto my phone so that they work when I'm away from home. (I can get them to work when I'm on my own Wi-Fi.) This is relevant, I checked the audio out from the library.

Anyway... hoping I get to it soon.

message 34: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments That's ok LK. We'll be here when you get to it :)

message 35: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Thanks, ShoSho! (((Cyber Hugs)))

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

An Irresistible Alliance (other topics)
The Lady By His Side (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephanie Laurens (other topics)