Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Book Cover Challenge > The Ladies' Armoury - Virginie and Laura's Specialized Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Welcome to The Ladies' Armoury

If you're in need of a good weapon - here's the place to look for it!

Courtesy of Virginie and Laura

message 2: by Laura (last edited Sep 26, 2018 10:10AM) (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Hand or fist weapons

Brass knuckles

Gauntlet

Deer Horn Knives (aka crescent moon knives/duck blades)

Glaive (aka type of modern fantasy thrown weapon)

✔ Dagger

Swords and bladed weapons

Swords

✔ Cover with a rapier

✔ Cover with a long sword

Cover with a falchion

Cover with a claymore

Cover with a broadsword

Curved swords

✔ Cover with a sabre

✔ Cover with a scimitar

✔ Cover with a shamshir

Sickles, picks and axes

✔ Cover with a sickle

Cover with a pick

✔ Cover with a broad axe

Cover with a battle axe

✔ Cover with a hatchet

Clubs and blunt weapons

Cover with a club

Cover with a mace

✔ Cover with a hammer

Pole weapons and spears

✔ Cover with a quarterstaff

Cover with a spear/lance

Cover with a polearm (halberd)

Bows

✔ Cover with a long bow

✔ Cover with a short bow

✔ Cover with a recurve bow

✔ Cover with a crossbow

Gunpowder weapons

Cover with a culverin/cannon

Cover with a flintlock

✔ Cover with a gun

Whips, chains and ropes

Cover with a whip

✔ Cover with chains

✔ Cover with a rope

Defensive weapons

✔ Cover with a shield

Body armour

Cover with a helmet

Cover with a cuirass (back and breastplate)

Cover with a suit of armour

Cook's Arsenal

✔ Cover with a knife

✔ Cover with a meat chopper

Magic Weapons

✔ Cover with a dragon fang

✔ Cover with a sword of light/energy

And more to come

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments Wow!!

all the best and I will be stealing few weapons from your armory. ;)

message 4: by Virginie (last edited Sep 26, 2018 11:55AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments All the weapons we've collected so far... Don't mess with us ;)

Hand or fist weapons
Dagger
Luck in the Shadows (Nightrunner, #1) by Lynn Flewelling
Swords
Rapier
The Curse of the Mistwraith (Wars of Light and Shadow, #1) by Janny Wurts
Curved swords
Sabre
Shaman's Crossing (Soldier Son, #1) by Robin Hobb
Scimitar
The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6) by R.A. Salvatore
Shamshir
Twelve Kings in Sharakhai (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #1) by Bradley P. Beaulieu
Sickles, picks and axes
Sickle
Morning Star (Red Rising, #3) by Pierce Brown
Broad axe
Legend (Drenai Tales, #1) by David Gemmell
Battle axe
Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #3) by Andrzej Sapkowski
Hatchet
The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4) by R.A. Salvatore
Clubs and blunt weapons
Hammer
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
Pole weapons and spears
Quaterstaff
Dragon Blood (Hurog, #2) by Patricia Briggs
Bows
Long bow
Child of the Prophecy (Sevenwaters, #3) by Juliet Marillier
Short bow
Renegade's Magic (Soldier Son, #3) by Robin Hobb
Recurve bow
Tower Lord (Raven's Shadow, #2) by Anthony Ryan
Crossbow
Sword of Destiny (The Witcher, #2) by Andrzej Sapkowski
Gunpowder weapons
Gun
Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1) by Karen Chance Saints Astray (Santa Olivia, #2) by Jacqueline Carey Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels, #3.5) by Ilona Andrews
Whips, chains and ropes
Chains
Beneath These Chains (Beneath, #3) by Meghan March
Rope
Pădurea spânzuraţilor by Liviu Rebreanu
Defensive weapons
Shield
Kings of the Wyld (The Band, #1) by Nicholas Eames
Gauntlet
The Time of Contempt (The Witcher, #4) by Andrzej Sapkowski
Cook's arsenal
Knife
The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2) by Philip Pullman
Meat chopper
A Sorcerer's Apprentice (Bookburners #1.4) by Mur Lafferty
Magical weapons
Sorcerer's Legacy by Janny Wurts No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished (Heartstrikers, #3) by Rachel Aaron

message 5: by Virginie (last edited Sep 26, 2018 11:54AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Weapons we're roaming battlefields and obscure books to find:

Brass knuckles
Gauntlet
Deer Horn Knives
Glaive
Falchion
Claymore
Longsword -> Laura
Broadsword
Pick
Club
Mace
Spear/lance
Polearm (halberd)
Culverin/cannon
Flintlock
Whip
Body armour
Helmet
Cuirass
Suit of armour

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments 😁😁😁 meat chopper! I love that one! What category should we put it in?
Dangerous kitchen implements? Or Cook's arsenal? We need to find a good name for that category and we could move the knife there also. :)

message 7: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments This is a fun thread! I will tread carefully here. ;p

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Finished for Knife - The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2) by Philip Pullman

And next on my list to read is Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1) by Karen Chance for Gun

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Oh, and I already finished Pădurea spânzuraţilor by Liviu Rebreanu - The Hanged Men's Forest - it has a noose on it so we can put it under rope

message 10: by Laura (last edited Sep 17, 2018 03:15AM) (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments There are a few more toys I've set my sight on:

Chains - Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northup

I'm replacing this one with Beneath These Chains

Cuirass - 1356 (Grail Quest #) by Bernard Cornwell

Deer horn knives etc. - Trinity Rising (The Wild Hunt, #2) by Elspeth Cooper

And I've got stashed someplace a quarterstaff, a spear, a dagger and a full suit of armour, helmet included.

message 11: by Virginie (last edited Apr 26, 2018 08:11AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Nice! I'll add those soon!
I checked with my planned BRs and found quite a few toys. We're doing well :D
Don't hesitate to add covers for weapons we already have. I want us drowning in potentially lethal objects :p I think we'll have an impressive collection of swords of all kind by the end of the year ;)

EDIT: up to date

message 12: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Completed A Sorcerer's Apprentice for Meat chopper
A Sorcerer's Apprentice (Bookburners #1.4) by Mur Lafferty

I named the category Cook's arsenal, and moved the knife to it :)

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Great. I'll do the update also.

As you have your eyes on a shield I'll move my book to the cover challenge for "learn to curse like a dwarf" and go for some other weapon instead. :)

message 14: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Yeah. It's easier to find a shield than a dwark as well, I think ;)
We mostly have the odd ones to find, now... I'm wondering what kind of book we'll have to read for the whip :D

message 15: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments Wowww!
Thats a one detailed challenge! :)
I might join in the second half of the year.

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Virginie wrote: "Yeah. It's easier to find a shield than a dwark as well, I think ;)
We mostly have the odd ones to find, now... I'm wondering what kind of book we'll have to read for the whip :D"

😁😁 Something hot🔥and sexy?! 👿🙊

message 17: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Laura wrote: "😁😁 Something hot🔥and sexy?! 👿🙊"

I knew this challenge was an good idea... :D

message 18: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Forgot to post that I completed Morning Star for the sickle!
Morning Star (Red Rising, #3) by Pierce Brown

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Edited to include the sickle and finished Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1) by Karen Chance for gun

message 20: by Sedat (new)

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments Hahahaha, you guys are amazing, this is so creative, good job! I'll follow this tread closely and off course watch my back :)

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Thanks Sedat. :)

btw. Could you suggest smth for the whip? We're still hunting for that. :D

message 22: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Jun 06, 2018 06:43AM) (new)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments How am I only now seeing this thread. Looks like you guys are just about done. I'd love to join at the next round.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Laura wrote: "Thanks Sedat. :)

btw. Could you suggest smth for the whip? We're still hunting for that. :D"

Kushiel's Dart ;-)

message 24: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "How am I only now seeing this thread. Looks like you guys are just about done. I'd love to join at the next round."

Nah, we still have some to find and we're collecting (ie, more than one book for a weapon is OK).

I don't know what Laura thinks but I'll be happy to have you join right now if you want :)

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments @Diana - nice choice :D hot and sexy also. 🔥🔥🔥
But it's not on the cover. 😭😭

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Also I think in Outlander he gets whipped.

message 27: by Sedat (new)

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments Laura wrote: "Thanks Sedat. :)

btw. Could you suggest smth for the whip? We're still hunting for that. :D"

Damn that's a hard one, I men there are a few out there but most of them are probably not the books you are looking for haha, I'll think on it though!

message 28: by Virginie (last edited Jun 06, 2018 06:47AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Aaaah, I know, I know, I have to read Kushiel! I see it everywhere on my feed, on the team thread! I want to read it so badly but it'll upset my carefully laid reading plans! :p

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Laura wrote: "@Diana - nice choice :D hot and sexy also. 🔥🔥🔥
But it's not on the cover. 😭😭"

Ohhh... cover challenge. Got it. I thought you're just collecting in books. This should still be easy. Give me a minute ;-)

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I'm good with that also Diana. Join us if you wish. :) I'll just have the title changed to include your name.

And we have only finished the ticked ones. We have our sights on others but they aren't read still.

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments This girl is fabulous! - We have our whip! :)

message 33: by Sedat (new)

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments @Diana you are good at this!! I kneel before the master :)

message 34: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Sedat wrote: "@Diana you are good at this!! I kneel before the master :)"

You better, 'cause she always has a whip at the ready, it seems... ;)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments if you want to add trident to your list you can also use Lord Brocktree (Redwall, #13) by Brian Jacques

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Oh and I found a Redwall with a polearm! I seriously need to do a Redwall reread. Marlfox (Redwall, #11) by Brian Jacques

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Virginie wrote: "Sedat wrote: "@Diana you are good at this!! I kneel before the master :)"

You better, 'cause she always has a whip at the ready, it seems... ;)"

Always ;-)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Sedat wrote: "@Diana you are good at this!! I kneel before the master :)"

Kneeling... whips... I'm getting Kushiel flashbacks here.

message 39: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Oh and I found a Redwall with a polearm! I seriously need to do a Redwall reread. Marlfox (Redwall, #11) by Brian Jacques"

I've never read Redwall :p

message 40: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Sedat wrote: "@Diana you are good at this!! I kneel before the master :)"

Kneeling... whips... I'm getting Kushiel flashbacks here."

Ohooo! I'm even more interested now ^_^

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Virginie wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Oh and I found a Redwall with a polearm! I seriously need to do a Redwall reread. Marlfox (Redwall, #11) by Brian Jacques"

I've never read Redwall :p"

It's wonderful. It's the series that got me into fantasy as a kid. Talking mice and little animals of the forest. I'm also a huge nature/animal lover so it called to me on a deep level. I would have dreams I was part of Redwall.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Virginie wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Sedat wrote: "@Diana you are good at this!! I kneel before the master :)"

Kneeling... whips... I'm getting Kushiel flashbacks here."

Ohooo! I'm even more interested now..."

You would love it. I highly recommend reading the series.

message 43: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "It's wonderful. It's the series that got me into fantasy as a kid. Talking mice and little animals of the forest. I'm also a huge nature/animal lover so it called to me... "

It's just.. So long! More than 20 books :O

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Virginie wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "It's wonderful. It's the series that got me into fantasy as a kid. Talking mice and little animals of the forest. I'm also a huge nature/animal lover so it called to me....."

It is. And I'll admit I haven't read them all. But at least the first 3 books are so worth it.

message 45: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments I'll be sure to give the first 3 a try at some point then :)

message 46: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments (Just realized... We could say the same of Anita Blake... *shakes head*)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Virginie wrote: "(Just realized... We could say the same of Anita Blake... *shakes head*)"

Yup. Anita was also great first books. Then it's like someone shouted "Ricola" on a snowy mountaintop and then it all avalanched into the pits of hell. (side note: my metaphors are on par with David from The Reckoners. "You're like a potato in a minefield.")

message 48: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments I just laughed and sprouted tea on my computer ><

message 49: by Miche (last edited Jun 06, 2018 12:55PM) (new)

Miche | 3175 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Virginie wrote: "(Just realized... We could say the same of Anita Blake... *shakes head*)"

Yup. Anita was also great first books. Then it's like someone shouted "Ricola" on a snowy mountaintop and..."

lol.

Btw, I loved his metaphors!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Miche wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Virginie wrote: "(Just realized... We could say the same of Anita Blake... *shakes head*)"

Yup. Anita was also great first books. Then it's like someone shouted "Ricola"..."

He's my #metaphorgoals ;-)

« previous 1