Horror Aficionados discussion

Waking the Ancients (Nemesis of the Gods #2)
This topic is about Waking the Ancients
Group Reads: Guest Author Invite > May 2018 Group Read # 2 with Guest Author, Catherine Cavendish

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kenneth McKinley | 1561 comments Mod
This is the thread for our May group read with guest author, Catherine Cavendish. Back in November, we read Catherine's Wrath of the Ancients and so many of you seemed to love it. So, we have her back for her highly anticipated sequel, Waking the Ancients. If you haven't Wrath of the Ancients yet and would like to, we will be reopening the November thread and she will be answering all of your questions there as well as on here. So, please help me welcome Catherine Cavendish!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6457 comments Mod
Welcome back Catherine! I can't wait to get into the discussion of WAKING THE ANCIENTS. :D

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments Kimberly wrote: "Welcome back Catherine! I can't wait to get into the discussion of WAKING THE ANCIENTS. :D"

Thank you Kimberly. It's great to be back!

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments Hi Ken and fellow Aficionados. Thank you all for your support of Wrath of the Ancients. In Waking the Ancients, Quintillus is back - his obsession knows no bounds. Enjoy!

message 5: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Hello and welcome back, Catherine!

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments Dustin wrote: "Hello and welcome back, Catherine!"

Thank you very much, Dustin. Great to be here!

I love (hate) the character of Dr. Quintillus! How did you come up with him for a MC? Was he just someone you invented, or did a historical figure influence his "creation" in any way?

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments Kimberly wrote: "I love (hate) the character of Dr. Quintillus! How did you come up with him for a MC? Was he just someone you invented, or did a historical figure influence his "creation" in any way?"

He is purely a product of my warped imagination, Kimberly, although possibly a little bit of Heathcliff (at his worst) crept in there from time to time. ;)

Finished the first 3 chapters tonight. With all the crazy stuff that's happening to Paula, she's nuts for sticking around in that house!

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments Ken wrote: "Finished the first 3 chapters tonight. With all the crazy stuff that's happening to Paula, she's nuts for sticking around in that house!"

:). You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait until Quintillus really gets going!

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments Hi everyone. A question for you: If you were renting/buying an apartment/house with a large, spooky cellar, would you go down there (assuming you didn't have to) or would you bolt the door and forget about it?

Catherine wrote: "Hi everyone. A question for you: If you were renting/buying an apartment/house with a large, spooky cellar, would you go down there (assuming you didn't have to) or would you bolt the door and forg..."

I'd "have" to go down there!

message 13: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments Kimberly wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Hi everyone. A question for you: If you were renting/buying an apartment/house with a large, spooky cellar, would you go down there (assuming you didn't have to) or would you bolt..."

Me too, Kimberly, There was method in my madness when I asked this question. We are house hunting at the moment and a place we really like has just such a cellar. I have only seen it from above, but I know there are a number of rooms - servants' quarters - with original 1867 fireplaces (of the plainest style, of course!) and a brooding atmosphere. I've got to get down there!

Catherine wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Hi everyone. A question for you: If you were renting/buying an apartment/house with a large, spooky cellar, would you go down there (assuming you didn't have to) ..."

That would be incredible to own something like that! I'd have to see and "feel" the atmosphere of every inch of a place like that!

message 15: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments Kimberly wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Hi everyone. A question for you: If you were renting/buying an apartment/house with a large, spooky cellar, would you go down there (assuming yo..."

Oh, there's plenty of atmosphere there. It's in the walls, the floors and the shadowy corners...

Catherine, can you describe the research you had to do during the writing of both WRATH and WAKING THE ANCIENTS?

message 17: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments Ken wrote: "Catherine, can you describe the research you had to do during the writing of both WRATH and WAKING THE ANCIENTS?"
Hi Ken. Yes. It was highly enjoyable. I mean, how can you not enjoy sitting in the Cafe Central in Vienna on a sunny day, being served delicious, aromatic Viennese coffee and naughty melt-in-the-mouth pastries? All in the name of research too!

Then the fascinating trip to the Vienna transport museum (the Remise) where the helpful and knowledgeable staff made sure I put Adeline on the right tram when she visited Gustav Klimt, and we explored every type of urban transport from horse drawn buses to the modern era.

Onto Hietzing - Vienna's upmarket residential area near the Schoenbrunn Palace - the setting for Quintillus's lavish mansion. Another beautiful sunny day spent walking around the leafy suburb, photographing and noting houses of interest and relaxing in the park.

As you can see, I suffer for my work! (er - no, actually :)

Apart from that, I have visited Egypt in the past and have amassed a quantity of books on Cleopatra, Egyptian legends and myths, plus the occult, horror, supernatural entities, demons - all of which helped considerably. I love research!

It sounds like you had a nice vacation...err...research sabbatical. When you set out to write the story, did you have it in your mind that it was going to be a series or was that the direction the publisher wanted you to go?

message 19: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments It was entirely down to the publisher. Wrath of the Ancients was going to be a standalone story with no sequel or prequel but they asked for a trilogy - so that's what I gave them. Damned by the Ancients comes out in October. With hindsight I'm glad I was able to write a series. Quintillus needed more than one story.

Catherine wrote: "It was entirely down to the publisher. Wrath of the Ancients was going to be a standalone story with no sequel or prequel but they asked for a trilogy - so that's what I gave them. Damned by the An..."
I have to say that I agree--LOVED WRATH OF THE ANCIENTS, but I definitely wasn't "done" learning about Dr. Quintillus. I think it's great that you were able to elaborate on his storyline like this, giving us more insight into how it all "began". I'm already anticipating Damned by the Ancients!

message 21: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments Kimberly wrote: "Catherine wrote: "It was entirely down to the publisher. Wrath of the Ancients was going to be a standalone story with no sequel or prequel but they asked for a trilogy - so that's what I gave them..."

Thank you, Kimberly. I can assure you Quintillus has more dastardliness in mind! Book Three isn't called 'Damned' for nothing!