The BOOK/MOVIE Club discussion

Ice Breakers/Activities > Activity 2: Find a book that takes place in your country, state or city using the link below. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t read it! Let us know which one stood out to you and why!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adriana (Mea) (new)

Adriana (Mea) Gutierrez (adrianamea) | 129 comments Mod
Use this site: http://www.bookssetin.com/

message 2: by Adriana (Mea) (last edited Jun 14, 2018 08:11PM) (new)

Adriana (Mea) Gutierrez (adrianamea) | 129 comments Mod
I chose “A Scanner Darkly” by Philip K. Dick! The story takes place in Santa Ana, California (represent!). He also wrote “Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?” AKA “Blade Runner”. It looks like a very heavy, dark book, but as always, I love my sci fi philosophy books and Dick is as good as it gets in that department!

About Book: “Bob Arctor is a junkie and a drug dealer, both using and selling the mind-altering Substance D. Fred is a law enforcement agent, tasked with bringing Bob down. It sounds like a standard case. The only problem is that Bob and Fred are the same person. Substance D doesn’t just alter the mind, it splits it in two, and neither side knows what the other is doing or that it even exists. Now, both sides are growing increasingly paranoid as Bob tries to evade Fred while Fred tries to evade his suspicious bosses.”

message 3: by ROBERT (new)

ROBERT | 60 comments Jamie Ford's two books were based in Seattle. Great books and it is fun to know the turf upon which he weaves his stories.

JA Jance mysteries were that way as well.

message 4: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 64 comments The Diary of a Young Girl is set in the Netherlands: a view on WWII through the diary of a young girl, her positivity and hope really impressed me.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Most books set in my state are set in Seattle, but a few are set in Spokane. I live halfway between these two places. But I chose Spokane because it is closer to the environment I live in.

Body Count
Description:

He Seemed So Normal . . .

By day, Robert Lee Yates, Jr., was a respected father of five, a skilled helicopter pilot who served in Desert Storm and the National Guard, and a man no one suspected of a deadly hidden life. By night he prowled the streets where prostitutes gathered, gaining their trust before betraying them with a bullet to the head.

On August 26, 1997, the decomposed bodies of two young women were discovered in Spokane, Washington. Within months four more women were added to the mounting death toll.

In 2000, Yates pleaded guilty to thirteen murders to avoid the death penalty. But in 2001 he was convicted of two more murders and is now on death row in Washington State, waiting for the day when he will die by lethal injection.

Updated with the latest disturbing developments, awardwinning author Burl Barer's reallife thriller is a shocking portrait of one man's depravity.

"Brilliant investigative journalism. . .a nonstop chilling thrill ride into the mind of an evil and savage killer." Dan Zupansky, author of Trophy Kill

Includes 16 pages of photos

"A must read." True Crime Book Reviews