The Sword and Laser discussion

Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #322 - Analysis Paralysis

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1729 comments Mod
Have you ever walked into a book store and just froze? Us too. We'll talk you through it. Plus we announced the May book pick and Tanith Lee fans will be happy! Because it's by Tanith Lee! Also the wrap-up for We Are Legion (We are Bob).

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2018/4/...
https://soundcloud.com/swordandlaser/...
https://www.patreon.com/posts/18412397

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8962 comments But I haven’t started Bob yet! Wait up!

message 3: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Trike wrote: "But I haven’t started Bob yet! Wait up!"

YOU HAD WARNING!

message 4: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8962 comments I was nearly blind! :p

message 5: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1530 comments Where is my asthma cure ;-)

message 6: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1255 comments Anybody else start listing off how they would name their clones?
fwiw here’s my list:
Anya (after the vengeance demon in Buffy)
Persephone (after the Greek goddess of death and the Underworld)
Hermione (from Harry Potter)
Jillian (Holtzmann, from Ghostbusters)
Furiosa (from Mad Max)
Peggy (Agent Carter)
Eowyn (LotR)
Charlie (Bradbury, from Supernatural)
Ursula (le Guin)
Michonne (The Walking Dead)
Ellen Ripley (Alien)
Katniss (The Hunger Games)
Leela (Futurama)
Nora (K Jemisin)
Lucy Liu

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6928 comments Mod
I'd probably combine book/anime/tv/movie/game characters with my own personal characters from various games

Thranduel (misspelled I know, but I've been misspelling it that way for 15+ years)
Link (Zelda)
Lucio (Overwatch)
Thrall (Warcraft)
Peter (Parker)
Spike (cowboy bebop)
Vash (Trigun)
Guts (Berserk)
Alphonse (FMA)
Connor (Highlander movies)
Duncan (Highlander TV)
Sam (Quantum Leap)

I could easily keep going, but I should probably get back to work..

message 8: by Melanie (last edited Apr 26, 2018 07:18AM) (new)

Melanie | 78 comments @Tom,
I too had to justify Bob's personality differences.

I assumed a kind of intentional defience. (imaginary thought) "You're not going to let me be Bob. Well fine, I'll be this instead...just to be different than you." There is also the idea that the name itself creates thought. By choosing a name with a particular connotation, each Bob kind of made themself partly that thing. Lastly, brains map themselves into patterns during early developement. Even though each Bob had the same starter package, their early choices created patternes of behavior that became permamnet.

It's also entirely possible I thought way too much about this.

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8962 comments Ruth wrote: "Anybody else start listing off how they would name their clones?."

Trike
Trike
Bo Bike
Bananafana fo-Fike
Me my Moe Mike

message 10: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4282 comments ...TRIIIIIIKE!

I felt like Roger Rabbit listening to "Shave and a Haircut" there...

message 11: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8962 comments Heh. 😁

message 12: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1159 comments Mod
Melanie wrote: "@Tom,
I too had to justify Bob's personality differences.

I assumed a kind of intentional defience. (imaginary thought) "You're not going to let me be Bob. Well fine, I'll be this instead...just ..."

I like this explanation very much!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 469 comments Ruth wrote: "Anybody else start listing off how they would name their clones?"

I'd build them in pairs and name them after some of the great duos of our time:
Preston and Logan
Wayne and Garth
Riggs and Murtaugh
Oscar and Felix
Bugs and Elmer
Tom and Jerry
Scooby and Shaggy
Kramer and Newman

message 14: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8962 comments Re: Vaginal Fantasy ending

“All fantasies end.”

...and they read happily ever after.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 469 comments Trike wrote: "Re: Vaginal Fantasy ending

“All fantasies end.”

...and they read happily ever after."

There's a theme song here just waiting to be sung. Maybe set to Bad Company's "Rock and Roll Fantasy"?

It's all part
of my Vaginal
FAN-tah-seee

message 16: by Sean Lookielook (new)

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 433 comments Randy wrote: "There's a theme song here just waiting to be sung. Maybe set to Bad Company's "Rock and Roll Fantasy"?

We couldn't afford the licensing rights. :(

message 17: by Sean Lookielook (new)

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 433 comments Also, I follow the episode guide page on the wiki and the actual email notice/cry for help that Wikia sent me read:
Episode Guide on Swordandlaser Wiki has been edited. Check it out!
Belbot: I have no idea what I'm doing. /* 2017 */

message 18: by Meghan (last edited Apr 27, 2018 06:21PM) (new)

Meghan | 11 comments Wow, for those of you who didn't listen to the very end... that was amazing! I laughed, I cried, I swayed. Never change, @Veronica.

message 19: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Apr 27, 2018 08:07PM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3677 comments Mod
Meghan wrote: "Wow, for those of you who didn't listen to the very end... that was amazing! I laughed, I cried, I swayed. Never change, @Veronica."

If you are talking about the song then credit goes to Tanya Dawn (Music and vocals). With lyrics by John Taloni
Veronica found out about the song after they recorded the show and added it in in post-production.

See this thread for discussion about it.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 20: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4282 comments Post credits easter egg! Thanks for the notes Tassie Dave. Tanya did a great job.

message 21: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Best author pun I’ve seen recently is from Reddit. Fonda Lee, author of the superb Jade City did an AMA. Someone asked if they’d look back on the book fonda-lee... l’m dead.

message 22: by Ed (new)

Ed (swampyankee) | 30 comments Being an engineer in recovery: analysis paralysis or paralysis by analysis is a very old term.

message 23: by Nigel (new)

Nigel Draycott | 15 comments I always walk while listening to the podcast, "we are the Bobs" song had looking like a complete idiot grinning ear to ear :)

message 24: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 11 comments Tassie Dave wrote: If you are talking about the song then credit goes to Tanya Dawn (Music and vocals). With lyrics by John Taloni
Veronica found out about the song after they recorded the show and added it in in post-production.

See this thread for discussion about it.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

Thanks, I missed it. Fabulous job Tanya!!!

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments In this podcast, Veronica said she has not read any Tanith Lee books before. But wasn't The Silver Metal Lover a Vaginal Fantasy pick before? Or was that an alt?

message 26: by Malaraa (new)

Malaraa | 90 comments Jessica wrote: "In this podcast, Veronica said she has not read any Tanith Lee books before. But wasn't The Silver Metal Lover a Vaginal Fantasy pick before? Or was that an alt?"
It was indeed an alt, back in 2014. :)

message 27: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Jessica wrote: "In this podcast, Veronica said she has not read any Tanith Lee books before. But wasn't The Silver Metal Lover a Vaginal Fantasy pick before? Or was that an alt?"

With two book clubs, I almost never had time to read the alts!

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments Veronica wrote: "Jessica wrote: "In this podcast, Veronica said she has not read any Tanith Lee books before. But wasn't The Silver Metal Lover a Vaginal Fantasy pick before? Or was that an alt?"

Wit..."

Yeah, I realize now it was an alt. It was from a time before I "discovered" Vaginal Fantasy, but somehow I came to find out it had been one of the reads somewhere along the line. I quite enjoyed that book, myself!

message 29: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1679 comments Nice episode and I am glad to learn a new phrase. My clones would be Disney's non human characters and they are all will be genderless.

Donald
Olaf
Mufasa
Stitch
Bagheera
Bing Bong
Eeyore
Nemo
Timon
Pumbaa
Sebastian
Tigger
Buzz
Chip
Baymax

message 30: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1255 comments Silvana wrote: "Nice episode and I am glad to learn a new phrase. My clones would be Disney's non human characters and they are all will be genderless. "
I like this concept!

message 31: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2594 comments Silvana wrote: "Nice episode and I am glad to learn a new phrase. My clones would be Disney's non human characters "

Pluto!

message 32: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1679 comments How could I forget Pluto....And Goofy! Okay, I am replacing Chip and Mufasa.

message 33: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6928 comments Mod
Silvana wrote: "How could I forget Pluto....And Goofy! Okay, I am replacing Chip and Mufasa."

No need to replace, just make more copies!

message 34: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4282 comments Hakuna Matata...it means no worries!

message 35: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2594 comments Silvana wrote: "How could I forget Pluto....And Goofy! Okay, I am replacing Chip and Mufasa."

I dunno, Goofy is kinda goofy but Pluto is outta this world

message 36: by Christos (new)

Christos | 188 comments I thought they said on the podcast that Soulless is the alt-pick, shouldn't someone add it to the Goodreads bookshelf?