Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
This topic is about The Mysterious Affair at Styles
Archive - Group Reads > The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie - 5/01 thru 5/21

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited May 22, 2018 07:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie and your hostess is Gem.

Please note that our discussion can be about any and all aspects of the book: The theme, plot, story structure, characters, settings, etc. It is likely the discussion will contacts spoilers from the start. If you have not finished the book, be careful not to read the posts of others until the end.

Feel free to use spoiler formatting, instructions are in the upper right above the comment box.
The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) by Agatha Christie The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1) by Agatha Christie The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) by Agatha Christie The Mysterious Affair At Styles By Agatha Christie Illustrated & Unabridged (Free Bonus Audiobook) by Agatha Christie The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie Poirot a Styles Court (Hercule Poirot, #1) by Agatha Christie

Summary

Who poisoned the wealthy Emily Inglethorpe, and how did the murderer penetrate and escape from her locked bedroom? Suspects abound in the quaint village of Styles St. Mary--from the heiress's fawning new husband to her two stepsons, her volatile housekeeper, and a pretty nurse who works in a hospital dispensary. Making his unforgettable debut, the brilliant Belgian detective Hercule Poirot is on the case. The key to the success of this style of detective novel, writes Elizabeth George in her Introduction, lies in how the author deals with both the clues and the red herrings, and it has to be said that no one bettered Agatha Christie at this game.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 30 comments Haven't read this in YEARS -- looking forward to the discussion.

message 3: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
I'm not sure if I read this one at all. I discovered Christie when I was in middle/early high school. The only thing I've read of hers recently was Murder on the orient express. I'm looking forward to the discussion too.

Cherry (bookwormdiva) It has been 20+ years since I last read this. Just ordered a copy to borrow from our library and I look forward to reading it again and discussing it with everyone.

message 5: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Icewineanne | 680 comments Mod
I read this a teen but don’t remember anything - hah! A good time to re-read this classic.

Cristina | 7 comments I read it last year. It is interesting to observe how mystery books are changed during time

Scott | 6 comments I read it last year as well and am still in awe of the deft plotting.

message 8: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena (elenadegarmo) | 1 comments I read many Christie books when I was younger but it has been years since I picked one up--looking forward to reading this one again and discussing the book.

message 9: by Tonya (last edited May 06, 2018 01:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tonya Mathis | 75 comments Loved this series and I have them all in paperback. But I did see that on Amazon today that they did have the Amazon classic edition version of the book Free. Don't know how long it'll last though. I'm going to try to squeeze this back into my TBR list so I can join the discussion.

message 10: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
I'm sorry I haven't contributed to the discussion as yet. I'm still playing catch up from being sick last week. I'm going to try to get this story over the next few days, if we need another week we can extend this book and push the next one back a week. And actually we can do that with any of the Agatha Christie books if we have not allotted enough time for them.

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) Bit delayed but starting now!

Cherry (bookwormdiva) Susan in Perthshire wrote: "Bit delayed but starting now!"

That's great, Susan. Me, too, actually. I only started reading this morning (I'm in New Zealand, 11 hours ahead of you).

PattyMacDotComma | 404 comments I just read and reviewed it. What fun! I hadn't realised it was her first book as well as the first Poirot. Almost a hundred years old, and I quite enjoyed it. If you can't find a copy, it's available free at the Open Library online. https://openlibrary.org/

My review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 14: by Cherry (last edited May 11, 2018 07:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cherry (bookwormdiva) Finished re-reading this fab first Poirot's case (with a copy of a discovered deleted scene) and truly glad I did and that we chose Christe as the first Focus on the Author. I look forward to re-reading her other novels.

My review can be read here (no spoilers in there) https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 15: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
I finish late this afternoon. Most of my exposure to Poirot has been on the television, he annoyed me, lol, and I was afraid he would annoy me in the book but he didn't. Christie had such a marvelous and charming style to her writing it just drew me in. I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading more Christie novels.

Cherry (bookwormdiva) ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I finish late this afternoon. Most of my exposure to Poirot has been on the television, he annoyed me, lol, and I was afraid he would annoy me in the book but he didn't. Christie had such a marvelo..."

Ha ha. I hear you about the annoying Poirot on television back in the day. But yes, there's nothing better than the written word, the way Christie actually created and described her Belgian detective.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 30 comments I finished this while I was travelling to a family wedding last week. I forgot just how much fun they were. I have a great fondness for Hastings as I am usually as lost as he is.

message 18: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 30 comments Poirot and Hastings make a great pair, don't they? Sort of like Holmes and Watson.

Dannie (danniem) | 14 comments I finished last week and loved it. I love how any one person can be a suspect. I love a true whodunit! It has been a long time since I first read a Christie book. I am reading all of her books, beginning with the Poirot series.

Donna Schmidt | 141 comments I am challenging myself to read the Agatha Christie books you have already read and discussed. I’m so glad I read this one. The first Poirot! So interesting how she brought him in and how her second ending fits his style.

message 21: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Donna wrote: "I am challenging myself to read the Agatha Christie books you have already read and discussed. I’m so glad I read this one. The first Poirot! So interesting how she brought him in and how her secon..."

Hi Donna! Glad to you have participated. I read a lot of Agatha Christie when I was a teenager, other than Murder on the Orient Express I don't remember any of them (and I think I only remember that one because I've seen the movie). I was thinking about reading all her books... over a period of time of course. I hope you enjoy our discussions.

Michelle (jacksally) | 1 comments I am just starting this book. I know its a little late. I have seen the TV series and enjoyed most of them but never really read all her books. I will try to catch up with the rest of the group. I cant wait to read this as I did download it on kindle!

message 23: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 30 comments I took a short break from reading mysteries to read Ilona Andrews's new Iron and Magic. I loved, loved, LOVED that book! Now I'm trying a new Jenna Bennett mystery, Ditching David by Jenna Bennett from her new Fidelity Investigations series. I binged on all of her Savannah Martin mysteries--crazy about Rafe:)--but I think the last novella might be the last in that series. It felt like it. Hope I like the new series as much.

message 24: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Michelle wrote: "I am just starting this book. I know its a little late. I have seen the TV series and enjoyed most of them but never really read all her books. I will try to catch up with the rest of the group. I ..."

No worries about being late. The discussion within the series will stay open indefinitely. I hope you enjoy the read and come back to give us your thoughts.