The Sword and Laser discussion

Night's Master > NM: May 2018 Pick: Night's Master by Tanith Lee

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6927 comments Mod
Looks like Veronica added the May pick to the bookshelf. It's going to be Night's Master by Tanith Lee

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4221 comments $2.99 on Kindle for one of the authors that is usually on "must read" lists. I'm intrigued. I can't say I know much about Tanith Lee or her fiction. Not sure if I'll get it in audio.

message 3: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 5 comments This will be my first "Book of the Month" reads on Goodreads. I had already read the Bobiverse series last year. This one looks pretty interesting with Greek-like gods and demons.

message 4: by Rob, Roberator (new)

terpkristin wrote: "$2.99 on Kindle for one of the authors that is usually on "must read" lists. I'm intrigued. I can't say I know much about Tanith Lee or her fiction. Not sure if I'll get it in audio."

Yeah, I was going to go library for for $3, I just bought it.

message 5: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Anthony wrote: "This will be my first "Book of the Month" reads on Goodreads. I had already read the Bobiverse series last year. This one looks pretty interesting with Greek-like gods and demons."

Cool. Welcome!

message 6: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1728 comments Mod
Yes indeed! This is the pick. I think we'll do a poll for fantasy (I'm doubled up these months) for June.

message 7: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2331 comments That ultrasonic sound you heard was probably just me squeeing when I heard Night's Master mentioned as the pick -- one of my all-time favorite books (and series) that I haven't read in entirely too many years. Now I have an excuse!

message 8: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1530 comments THe ebook is not available outside the US by the looks of it. Have to dig out the change of country notes... Too much trouble so trialing audible to get the audio version.

message 9: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1530 comments Is this the description :-)

Night's master
Ashley, Amanda
Passion Has A Darker Side. . . Kathy McKenna was sure that the little Midwestern town of Oak Hollow would be isolated enough for safety, but the moment the black-clad stranger walked into her bookstore, she knew she was wrong. Raphael Cordova exudes smoldering power, and his sensual touch draws Kathy into a world of limitless pleasure and unimaginable dangers. Oak Hollow was supposed to be neutral territory for supernatural beings. Instead it has become home to an evil force determined to destroy them--and kill any mortal who gets in the way. As leader of the North American vampires, Raphael has always put duty first, but then, no woman ever enthralled him the way Kathy does. And as the enemy's terrifying plan is revealed, Raphael's desire could be a fatal distraction for all his kind, and for the woman he has sworn to love forever. . . "Intense!" --Shannon McKenna

Seems like the wrong book group

message 10: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3675 comments Mod
Not wrong group, Wrong book Ian ;-)

I haven't read anything by Tanith Lee and am not familiar with any of her works.

Looks interesting. No eBook is a pain though. Audiobook it is.

message 11: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1530 comments Tanith Lee is British, here I sit in England, cannot buy the ebook. Publishers suck.

message 12: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) It's probably a bit more complicated than that. Since Lee is dead, the rights depend on the various contracts the books might be under, which may or may not include publishing rights in all English-speaking countries. It looks like the US ebook is from DAW which came out 2 years ago. Not sure why they didn't put it out in the UK unless they don't have Commonwealth or Worldwide English rights.

At least her estate doesn't seem to be pulling a John M. Ford where his insane family are actively trying to destroy his legacy by erasing everything he's done.

message 13: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Iain wrote: "Tanith Lee is British, here I sit in England, cannot buy the ebook. Publishers suck."

Yeah. That's some bullshit. I always find it really dumb when new books aren't published at the same time everywhere, at least when it's the same language.

Grey Sister came out in North America before it came out in the UK, and Mark Lawrence is also British. Dumb.

message 14: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4271 comments Tanith Lee is SFF. She's well on the Fantasy side but she fits. She also went to plenty of conventions. I've got a story on that subject that I'll tell a little later.

message 15: by Allison (new)

Allison Hurd | 227 comments Oh, I love Tanith Lee! I'm so excited to read this one!

message 16: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1250 comments No ebook in the UK and I’ve just started a looong audio book (The Black Prism) so I didn’t want to use an Audible credit. Instead I’ve gone for a dead tree edition- a rarity for me these days! Thanks eBay.

message 17: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1185 comments It is available in Canada on Kindle but for 9 bucks, not 3.

message 18: by Allison (last edited Apr 26, 2018 06:34AM) (new)

Allison Hurd | 227 comments Oh, no.

My library carries it.

...But only the omnibus of the first(?) three books.

Welp. So long, May.

message 19: by Mark (last edited Apr 26, 2018 07:43AM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2590 comments Nights Master is a paperback original with many printings. If you can't get the ebook, you should be able to find a used copy pretty easily.

The first edition cover art is by George Barr, a prolific creator of SF&F art.

http://www.bpib.com/illustra2/barr.htm
https://g-barr.deviantart.com/
https://www.pinterest.com/schwartzber...

message 20: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2331 comments Allison wrote: "Oh, no.

My library carries it.

Welp. So long, May."

FWIW, they're none of them super long books; I'd wager the omnibus is shorter than any single volume of Game of Thrones ...

message 21: by Allison (new)

Allison Hurd | 227 comments Joseph wrote: "Allison wrote: "Oh, no.

My library carries it.

Welp. So long, May."

FWIW, they're none of them super long books; I'd wager the omnibus is sh..."

Yeah...It's still almost 800 pages. And I agreed to 3 other books, one of which is a Wheel of Time mammoth. So, it's gonna be a great but dense month!

message 22: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2552 comments Allison wrote: "Oh, no.

My library carries it.

Welp. So long, May."

There are a lot more than 3 books in the complete series :) Personally I couldn't get past the first one and found The Birthgrave trilogy much more satisfying. IIRC these are a collections of many stories that all fit into a common background and come together the more you read. Similar approach to Michael Moorcock, who was another member of the British New Wave of SFF.

message 23: by Allison (new)

Allison Hurd | 227 comments Good to know! she's an author I've liked every time I've read her. I got confused since the later naming convention changed. I hope I like this but if not, good tip one the next sequence!

message 24: by Dominik (new)

Dominik (gristlemcnerd) | 132 comments Mark wrote: "Nights Master is a paperback original with many printings. If you can't get the ebook, you should be able to find a used copy pretty easily.

The first edition cover art is by George Barr, a prol..."

Yup, looks like they kept up the trend of trying to sell this thing with nekkid ladies in subsequent editions... is this one of those fantasy novels, or is it just because publishers are the worst sometimes?

message 25: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1185 comments I don't think this is a spoiler and I'm only 1/4 in but this book doesn't shy away from sex scenes.

message 26: by M. (new)

M. Roe Great choice. I still have this as a cheap hardcover, and I am looking forward to re-reading it.

message 27: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2331 comments My own personal favorite cover is probably this one:

Night's Master (Tales from the Flat Earth #1) by Tanith Lee

(using art by Edmund Dulac)

Yeah, it has its fair share of sex scenes, but I wouldn't say it's one of those books -- they're not really graphic/explicit like Laurell Hamilton or even Jacqueline Carey or anything. Some of them might be a bit problematic these days, though -- realistically, can a random shepherd boy even give consent when he's approached by Azhrarn Prince of Demons, one of the Lords of Darkness? But that's because these books are written in the form almost of myth or fable or something -- nobody expected Zeus, when he descended from Olympus, to be all that considerate ...

message 28: by Dominik (new)

Dominik (gristlemcnerd) | 132 comments Eh... can't say I usually enjoy those very much, but I'll reserve my judgement until I get my hands on a copy, I suppose.

message 29: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 848 comments Haven't read much Lee, but I have read Red as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer a few times. It's a collection of fairy tale retellings, some of which are very cool.

message 30: by William (new)

William | 434 comments Iain wrote: "THe ebook is not available outside the US by the looks of it. Have to dig out the change of country notes... Too much trouble so trialing audible to get the audio version."

I have a UK account with Kobo and just bought it off their online shop. Even if you don't have a Kobo device they allow you to download the file from the website to view as you choose.

message 31: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1728 comments Mod
This book definitely started out throbbing — STRONG! I meant “strong!” 😂

message 32: by Jessica (last edited Apr 28, 2018 08:18AM) (new)

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments Yay for a Tanith Lee book! I've already read Night's Master, and though it was not my favorite of her works, its ratings and reviews suggest most people love the heck out of it.

My sister had a plan to eventually own every book written by Tanith Lee. Many of the ones she acquired were from used/rare book stores. When she passed away (my sister, not Lee - Lee outlived Sarah by 5 years) I inherited all of her books, so I am now the owner of quite a Tanith Lee collection.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1977 comments Just nabbed a second hand copy. A naked blonde haired girl is covering her bits with her hands and a load of flowers and wears a pensive expression in her face while avoiding directly looking at the nearby giant eagle.

It's a thin book!

message 34: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2331 comments If I want to be facile (moi? Jamais!), I like to describe the Flat Earth books as "Sandman in Zothique".

message 35: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Joseph wrote: "If I want to be facile (moi? Jamais!), I like to describe the Flat Earth books as "Sandman in Zothique"."

From the few chapters I've read, I can see that comparison.

Not sure how I feel about this book :-?

message 36: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4271 comments Tanith Lee is definitely well on the far F side of SFF. Being more of a Rockets and Robots reader, with a sideline in great adventure Fantasy like Pern, I didn't read much Tanith Lee. Respected her, but it was a bridge a bit far for my young self. I think I'm still at the point where I respect what she accomplished and like her as a person, but don't particularly relate to what she writes.

message 37: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1250 comments My dead tree copy arrived today- just in time for May!
The cover is, um, well the nipple count is 5.
It’s surprisingly thin!

message 38: by Colin (new)

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 524 comments I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but so far this is not what I was expecting!

I'm about 25% through the audio book. After the first couple of chapters I was considering trying out Audible's returns policy, but I think I've gotten past my initial knee-jerk reaction and will carry on.

message 39: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1250 comments Colin wrote: "I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but so far this is not what I was expecting!

I'm about 25% through the audio book. After the first couple of chapters I was considering trying out Audible..."

I’m feeling much the same... reached page 14 of my paperback when (view spoiler)
Frankly I’ve noped out of this already and it’s only the first of May... maybe I’ll give it another try a bit later in the month!

message 40: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4271 comments I enjoyed Lycanthrope when I read it umpteen years back, so will persevere and expect to finish. Sometimes bad things happen in books to show that the characters are bad. Dying Earth is considered a classic, and is full of bad people doing bad things.

message 41: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

I'm over 70% through and am only continuing because of my "no lemming Sword and Laser Picks" policy.

I doubt I will be trying any more Tanith Lee soon.

I will find something a bit more upbeat after this book to cleanse the palate :-? I have Oathbringer to look forward too.

message 42: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2552 comments As it's so short, I'm going to re-read it. From what I remember of Tanith Lee books there is plenty for people to find objectionable here.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been wondering about this paragraph on page 5 of chapter 1.

(view spoiler)

It just seems like a comically large use of the word "gate".

message 44: by Dominik (new)

Dominik (gristlemcnerd) | 132 comments Jason wrote: "I've been wondering about this paragraph on page 5 of chapter 1.

[spoilers removed]

It just seems like a comically large use of the word "gate"."

the question is just whether or not (view spoiler)

message 45: by Rob, Roberator (new)

This is really meant as a kick-off thread. Now that the read has officially started, feel free to make a new thread to discuss spoilers (although use of the spoiler tags is appreciated)

message 46: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments Began reading this book late last night and, it really lets you know what you're in for right at the start there, doesn't it?

message 47: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1390 comments Demons be demons, right !

message 48: by Jim (new)

Jim | 3 comments Colin wrote: "I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but so far this is not what I was expecting!

I'm about 25% through the audio book. After the first couple of chapters I was considering trying out Audible..."

Yup, I returned it. I got about 20% into the audiobook and found that neither the narator or the story was for me. Started the latest Iron Druid book instead. So much more enjoyable!

message 49: by Richard (new)

Richard | 99 comments A quarter of the way through, and I’m loving it, despite that it’s just a little disturbing. But Tanith Lee has a style that I’m finding really draws me into this world more than most fantasy I’ve read.

message 50: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 5 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "I'm over 70% through and am only continuing because of my "no lemming Sword and Laser Picks" policy.

I doubt I will be trying any more Tanith Lee soon.

I will find something a bit more upbeat aft..."

I haven't read that series, I think I will start it next.

« previous 1