You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Chit Chat About Books > What book got you hooked?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori Z (last edited Apr 25, 2018 01:57PM) (new)

Lori Z | 1917 comments I was just wondering what book got you hooked on reading? I work in an elementary school library and its always my goal to find that one book for a child who doesn't like to read. I know it just takes one right book to make them a life long reader.

If you don't remember or started later in life, you can still share some fond reading memories, I'd love to hear them.

I'll start: I don't remember one specific book, I feel like I loved to read as soon as I learned. I know some of my favorites were the Laura Ingalls Wilder Little House series and also a lot of horse stories.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your stories!

P.S. I apologize if this has been asked before. I couldn't find it anywhere.

message 2: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9822 comments I also remember liking to read for ever. Probably the first picture books my mom read to me where the books that hook me, but the first "long" book I remember reading by my self from cover to cover absolutely engaged was The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1355 comments I've always been a reader. My favorite book as a little kid was Big Max (which I loved so much that I tracked down an original, 1970's copy for my toddler). Some of my favorite school-age books were The Secret Garden, Harriet the Spy, and Amazing Gracie. The first adult book I remember really loving was The Rapture of Canaan.

message 4: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1917 comments Thanks, ladies! We have most of these in our library and I don't think I've ever suggested them. It's great to get fresh ideas!

message 5: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments I always liked to read. I remember getting hooked on La Escuela de las Hadas as I was 7 years old and I still remember that book. I read it in one afternoon.

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments I always liked reading as well. I remember a book from when I was quite young that was mostly a picture book. There were beautiful gardens and a pixie on the walk path carrying a lantern full of fireflies to light her way. That must have been my introduction to the fantasy genre.

I have fond memories of the public library and borrowing the Nancy Drew books. I guess they were the ones that got me hooked.

message 7: by Eliestal (last edited Apr 26, 2018 12:43AM) (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments I didn't like reading growing up but the first book I read for fun and not for an assignment for class was The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. The trilogy was complete at the time of reading and I remember having a French omnibus version with the 3 books in it. I am rereading the series now, in English, and can still remember it vividly!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments As a kid I remember reading a lot of Enid Blyton books, in particular the Secret Seven and Famous Five series. I vividly remember being off sick from school once and devouring a whole book with a number of these stories in. I also remember enjoying The Magic Faraway Tree. As I reached 11/12 years old I remember reading Nancy Drew and Sweet Valley High books (they weren't my thing) and swiftly moved on the Point Horror series. I remember an aunty buying me a couple books in my early teens (possibly pre-teens) by Michelle Magorian (A Little Love Song and Back Home) which were quite different to what I usually read but I really liked them. Then my English teacher got in the way of things and put me off reading for pleasure. It took a long time to come back to reading. What got me back in to it was actually reading Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code which a friend had been reading and talking about a lot.

message 9: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Apr 26, 2018 04:53AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments I was also an Enid Blyton fan, but I hated the Five and the Seven, I was all about the Faraway Tree.

Was a ridiculous reader as a kid. I remember Kindy (first year of school at 5) ran out of readers for me, and I had to read library books and my own books. That was awesome. I remember going to England when I was 6, and my parents bought me my first novel (ie big person book) for our five week trip. It was Charlotte's Web. I had almost finished it by the time we landed in London, and definitely had in the first few days. Mum still finds this incredibly frustrating, particularly as they bought me some other books over there and she was all like "Look! A thatched cottage! A pheasant!" and I was reading in the back of the car ignoring her.

BUT, the book I remember reading again and again, that I wanted to be like, and then trained myself to tune out the world while reading, was Matilda. I so wanted to be like Matilda, but no magic unfortunately. However, I could read like her, so that's what I would do.

Then peer pressure and teenagehood happened and I stopped reading as we have discussed before. I remember the first two books I bought and read for fun in first year uni though, and I have never stopped. And they were Chocolat as I loved the movie, and then found out it was a book. And then Memoirs of a Geisha as I heard good things about it.

And a reborn addict was formed...

message 10: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments Like Sarah, the earliest book I remember loving was The Folk of the Faraway Tree, then Enid Blyton . I graduated to Agatha Christie (my Mums shelves were full of them) from age 10 on.

Since then books have been my greatest pleasure. I couldn't imagine not having books in my life

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments I also always loved to read. I also learned it at a relatively early age. I remember when I was in 1st grade and all my class mates learned to read, I could sit in the back of the class with a book of my own.

I have no idea which book got me hooked on reading. When I was very young I had some Dutch book series that I don't think were ever translated (for the Dutch/Belgian people: Pinkeltje, Wipneus en Pim) that I loved. Also Dutch authors like Paul van Loon, Thea Beckman, Jan Terlouw. A bit later I got hooked on the books of Babysitters Club Collection #1, and doesn't Enid Blyton also have a series with twins in boarding school? I also read Nancy Drew at some point, and Roald Dahl books as well (The BFG, Matilda, The Witches, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory etc).

At some point (probably high school) I stopped reading for fun for a while, and after that I did again but not too often. When I got my ereader that completely changed.

Also, the book that got me hooked on Historical Fiction was The Island. I always thought HF to be a stuffy and boring genre, but a friend (who's from Crete) gave me this book and I felt I had to read it. And I loved it! Now it's one of my favourite genres :) I'm not sure if I read The Island now I would still love it as much, but it was a great book to introduce me to the genre.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments @Peggy - the boarding school series was Malory Towers. I forgot about that one.

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I remember reading my first book. It was One Fish Two fish. I loved that book. The school librarian made a rule i could only take it out once a month. The teacher wanted me to branch out and read other books

message 14: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2546 comments Enid Blyton for sure! Anyone read the Chalet School series by Elinor M. Brent Dyer? I loved them!

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Like others here, I have always loved to read and I can't remember exactly what book got me hooked. I was a huge fan of Enid Blyton so it was probably one of those. I was quite an advanced reader for my age too.

message 16: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments I love this thread. It's a trip down memory lane :)

Last year I decided to reread several of my childhood favourites, but so far I've only reread The BFG.

message 17: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (gabbyglegend) | 3 comments I recently read Better Off Friends Better off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg ,I'm a sucker for romance!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Gabrielle wrote: "I recently read Better Off FriendsBetter off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg ,I'm a sucker for romance!"

Is that what got you in to reading?

message 19: by Cherie (last edited May 01, 2018 02:20PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments My mom taught me to read with the Dick and Jane books and I know that I was reading before I started Kindergarten. I remember sitting in our reading corner in First Grade reading a book, but I cannot recall any specific book title. The elementary school I attended in 4th and 5th grade was just down the street from a small house that had been converted into a public library. The first fantasy/science fiction books that I can remember checking out were "the mushroom planet" books with Mr. Theo and Mr. Bass. It took me years to find the titles, but I finally located a few of the books at Powell's Books in Portland. They are still in print. Here is the link to the series https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8.... I know I read the Nancy Drew books, but my favorite book, that I read over and over was Freckles. Mine had a green cover and it was tattered and worn out because I loved it so much.

message 20: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1917 comments Thanks everyone for sharing your reading memories! I've enjoyed them and you've given me some ideas to share with our kiddos. I feel like I've missed out with never hearing of Enid Blyton, might have to find some of her books and give her a try.

I agree with what some of you said about assigned reading affecting your reading enjoyment. It didn't slow me down too much, but I saw it happen with my kids. Luckily, once they were done with that they eventually went back to reading.

Cherie, when you mentioned your public library from when you were a child it made me think about what I had as a kid. My home town was so small we didn't have a public library but our elementary school would stay open in the summer so we could check out books. I remember riding my bike back and forth with the wicker basket full of books. Fun times! This summer the school district I work for is going to have book mobiles going around to give the kids access to books to keep them reading while they're off from school. We're very excited about this program and I hope it will give the kids some fond reading memories of their own.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your stories!

message 21: by Cherie (last edited May 02, 2018 04:43PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments Lori - I think the little house was a public library. I do not remember ever going there, except after school. I cannot remember going to a library in our elementary school, but I only attended there for 2 months in 4th grade and all of 5th grade. My 5th grade teacher always had books in her room for us to read. A boy named Robert and I were always badgering her for books. I really think she was the reason I got to go to the library. My father and step-mother were not readers. I loved to go to the little house, and go from room to room, even though it meant I had to walk home from school instead of taking the bus. Having to walk home limited the number of books I could get because I had to carry them and my school work all in my arms. We did not have backpacks then. I can still recall walking home from high school with my three ring notebook and armful of books and small purse.

message 22: by Amanda (Mandy) (new)

Amanda (Mandy) | 664 comments I don't remember exactly which book started it for me. However, I remember loving the The Wind in the Willows and the Nancy Drew books. Then like others I lost my love for reading for awhile due to assigned reading. Then I remember as a junior or senior in high school I read Pride and Prejudice. This book rekindled my love of reading and it is still my favorite book to this day.

message 24: by Jayme, Moderator (new)

Jayme | 2664 comments When I was growing up we had a book mobile that would come twice a week to our neighborhood in the summer and it was a BIG deal. When my mom learned to drive she would take us once a week to the library and story time (libraries ares till one of my favorite places).
Books that I will always love from that time period:
Little House on the Prairie
Nancy Drew: #1-64 ( I belonged to the Nancy Drew book club and would get two books a month in the mail!!!)
The Forgotten Beasts of Eld
Little Women
Heidi

message 25: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments Ah Heidi. I wore that one out reading it over and over too!

message 26: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments The books that completely hooked me as a child were, among others: The Neverending Story , Little House on the Prairie-series, Ronia, the Robber's Daughter, The Brothers Lionheart and a whole bunch of books about horses.

message 27: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments I can remember reading books about horses too. I think every girl goes through that phase. I know that my sister did and one of my daughters too. I remember when she read Misty of Chincoteague and those stories. She talked my ear off!
My favorite was My Friend Flicka.

message 28: by ~Annaki~ (last edited Jul 07, 2018 01:31AM) (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments Cherie wrote: "I can remember reading books about horses too. I think every girl goes through that phase.

With me that phase never ended, he he, I'm still mad about horses and have had them most of my life :D

Oh yes, My Friend Flicka that was a favorite too, I read it several times, love it!