Mirage (Oregon Files, #9) Mirage discussion

1 view
Term 4 book review

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Calvin (last edited Apr 25, 2018 01:20PM) (new)

Calvin Hawkins Mirage
By Clive Cussler

Mirage is a about Jaun Carriblio, Chairman of the Oregon, and his vendetta to find his friend Yuri Burdens killer. Juan would embark on a mission that would lead him to his friends killer, a Russian admiral, who he brings to justice.

The setting plays a major role in the book because unlike most settings it's not a small town or city it's a boat. The setting is the ship called The Oregon. The Oregon is like caviar it might look like something straight out of a horror movie, but in reality it’s as high class and sophisticated as wearing a top hat and a monocle. The Oregon comes equipped with a array of weapons and gadgets such as M60 mounted machine guns hidden in what appears to be oil tanks. Long range radar also helps them navigate through treacherous waters. The Oregon's looks however are not unintentional. The ship was designed to look like a cheap and relatively mundane ship. This plays a key role in the Oregon's crew being able to go where they need, and without attracting too much attention. The crew often goes to places where Mercenaries for the U.S government wouldn't exactly be welcome, like Russia. So without the Oregon the events in the book really wouldn't even be able to take place. The time that the events in the book take place is also extremely important. When Juan finds out the location of the rouge Russian admiral who killed Yuri Burden who also has developed high tech stealth technology, he and the U.S goverment jump at the chance to not only capture the Russian, but his technology. Fortunately for them they are in the right place at the right time because China and Japan were in a land dispute over a couple of islands that were recently discovered to be directly above massive oil fields. The normal military presence in china, where the admiral is located, is decreased drastically. This gives Jaun the chance to pursue his target without Chinese interference.

The conflict in this book is complicated, and high stakes. The conflicts is one of the best parts of the book because it’s so unique. The main conflict is that Juan’s friend Yuri Burden was imprisoned, and ultimately killed by a rogue Russian admiral named Kenin. We never find out why Kenin killed Yuri, but what we do find out is that Juan not only owed his career to Yuri, but his life. Juan is devastated when his attempt to break Yuri out of prison results in Yuri being shot while trying to escape. Yuri leaves Juan with clues about who he thinks is responsible for imprisoning him. The clues lead Juan to find out that Kenin is responsible for the imprisonment and ultimately his death. This external conflict also creates an internal conflict with Juan. Juan is willing to do anything to get revenge on Kenin. He puts his crew, the Oregon, and himself at risk more than is necessary to find the admiral. This would lead to Juan losing Mac, an operative and Juans close friend, in a gunfight. Juan soon realizes he cannot be so reckless and takes a smarter approach. The fact that the conflict is so personal gives the book a dark mood at sometimes and the theme is also changed by the internal conflict Juan deals with. The overall theme of the book is to showcase how you shouldn't get ahead of yourself and no matter what you still have to play it smart.

This book was one of the best books i’ve read in a long time. It had great characters who made the book fun to read and a great conflict that made you want to keep reading. The author is also very descriptive in the way he talks about the Oregon, and especially Juan. Some of the imagery the author is able to convey was also one of the highlights of this book. I had never read a Clive Cussler book, so it was really something out of the ordinary for me. My grandfather loved Clive Cussler, and he is actually the reason I read this book. I went out and bought another book of his called Odessa Sea and plan on reading it soon.

message 2: by Calvin (last edited Apr 27, 2018 01:25PM) (new)

Calvin Hawkins Mirage
By Clive Cussler

Mirage is about Jaun Carriblio, Chairman of the Oregon, and his vendetta to find his friend Yuri Burdens killer. Juan would embark on a mission that would lead him to his friends killer, a Russian admiral, who kills in Shanghai, and escapes on the Oregon.

The setting plays a major role in the book because unlike most settings it's not a small town or city it's a boat. The setting is the ship called The Oregon. The Oregon is like caviar it might look like something straight out of a horror movie, but in reality it’s as high class and sophisticated as wearing a top hat and a monocle. The Oregon comes equipped with a array of weapons and gadgets such as M60 mounted machine guns hidden in what appears to be oil tanks. Long range radar also helps them navigate through treacherous waters. The Oregon's looks however are not unintentional. The ship was designed to look like a cheap and relatively mundane ship. This plays a key role in the Oregon's crew being able to go where they need, and without attracting too much attention. The crew often goes to places where Mercenaries for the U.S government wouldn't exactly be welcome, like Russia. So without the Oregon the events in the book really wouldn't even be able to take place. The time that the events in the book take place is also extremely important. When Juan finds out the location of the rouge Russian admiral who killed Yuri Burden who also has developed high tech stealth technology, he and the U.S goverment jump at the chance to not only capture the Russian, but his technology. Fortunately for them they are in the right place at the right time because China and Japan were in a land dispute over a couple of islands that were recently discovered to be directly above massive oil fields. The normal military presence in china, where the admiral is located, is decreased drastically. This gives Jaun the chance to pursue his target without Chinese interference.

The conflict in this book is complicated, and high stakes. The conflicts is one of the best parts of the book because it’s so unique. The main conflict is that Juan’s friend Yuri Burden was imprisoned, and ultimately killed by a rogue Russian admiral named Kenin. We never find out why Kenin killed Yuri, but what we do find out is that Juan not only owed his career to Yuri, but his life. Juan is devastated when his attempt to break Yuri out of prison results in Yuri being shot while trying to escape. Yuri leaves Juan with clues about who he thinks is responsible for imprisoning him. The clues lead Juan to find out that Kenin is responsible for the imprisonment and ultimately his death. This external conflict also creates an internal conflict with Juan. Juan is willing to do anything to get revenge on Kenin. He puts his crew, the Oregon, and himself at risk more than is necessary to find the admiral. This would lead to Juan losing Mac, an operative and Juans close friend, in a gunfight. Juan soon realizes he cannot be so reckless and takes a smarter approach. The fact that the conflict is so personal gives the book a dark mood at sometimes and the theme is also changed by the internal conflict Juan deals with. The overall theme of the book is to showcase how you shouldn't get ahead of yourself and no matter what you still have to play it smart.

This book was one of the best books i’ve read in a long time. It had great characters who made the book fun to read and a great conflict that made you want to keep reading. The author is also very descriptive in the way he talks about the Oregon, and especially Juan. Some of the imagery the author is able to convey was also one of the highlights of this book. I had never read a Clive Cussler book, so it was really something out of the ordinary for me. My grandfather loved Clive Cussler, and he is actually the reason I read this book. I went out and bought another book of his called Odessa Sea and plan on reading it soon.