Goodreads Sci-Fi/Fantasy Authors discussion

Web Serials

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frances (new)

Frances (mothindarkness) Hi,
I don't know if anyone here is a fan or author of web serials, serial fiction, web comics, etc, but I've got a new group going devoted to the medium.
It's at: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...
and I'm hoping we can talk about our favorites, discuss what makes a good serial, and learn from each other.
Thanks,
Frances

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Frances,

I write a web serial and I just joined the group. I'll be sure to post over yonder.

Frances wrote: "Hi,
I don't know if anyone here is a fan or author of web serials, serial fiction, web comics, etc, but I've got a new group going devoted to the medium.
It's at: http://www.goodreads.com/group/..."

message 3: by Frances (new)

Frances (mothindarkness) Cool, Abner,
Make sure you put a link to your serial in the promo area, I'd love to read it. :-)
Frances

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I just posted a link over yonder.

So...any other web serial peeps in this thread?

I know some of you are lurrrrrking....

;P

message 5: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 97 comments I follow the Girl Genius comic, but that's the only one.

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com

message 6: by K.J. (new)

K.J. Joyner (spearcarrier) Well I just started putting my novel up as a webserial and stumbled across this place while looking for places to plug it. LOL... and I've spent my morning putting in books I own and reviewing them. I've totally forgotten about work.

Girl Genius is an awesome one. I follow it, too. I've found Foglio's influence creeping into my own webcomic. I'm not sure if I like that, even though I'm a small time fan.

message 7: by Joe (new)

Joe Vadalma (JoeVadalma) | 25 comments Gunther the Weapon Maker's Son was born in the fishing and trading village of Njordusk in Fjords of Norway to Jorn the Weapon Maker and his wife, Hilgred in the year 967 A. D. The Fjords are sheer cliffs to the sea. In the spring melting snow fields become torrential streams that thunder into waterfalls. The water cascades into deep and ragged ocean inlets. A birth is celebrated with fire, song and plenty to drink. This birth occurred two years after Harald Bluetooth converted the Danes to Christianity. Three years later Norway fell under Danish rule. Although the weapon maker and his wife give obeisance to this new strange Middle Eastern God, they secretly worship the old gods and keep the old ways. As a result Gunther is brought up hearing the ancient legends of Norse mythology.

The village of Njordusk's two main industries are fishing and trade. Their long wooden ships (called knorrs) had a large, square sail on a central mast. Farming and the raising of cattle are also done. Women are treated almost as equals and in some cases rise to positions of power in the village. The richer men and nobles hold slaves, and the culture and religion exalts bloodlust and war in a warrior's code. Those who die in battle with honor are swept to Valhalla by lusty Valkyries. Others go to the underworld known as Hel.

At the age of fifteen, Gunther is taller and stronger than many of the robust Viking warriors and traders that pass through his shop ordering weapons. Besides his strength, he is extremely adept in swordsmanship, which he practices every chance he gets with a weapon originally made for a man who died on a Viking raid. This sword is extremely heavy and long. Most men could barely lift it, much less wield it as Gunther does. At this age he has yearnings for adventure and envies the Viking warriors and traders who come into his father's shop telling their tales of their exploits.

One day his family is condemned for not converting to the new religion. They sneak away in a ship owned by a tall red-haired man, a few years older than himself, named Eric Thorvaldson, the Red. This Eric is wild, a heavy drinker, a womanizer but a charming one, has an ugly temper when thwarted, quick to draw his weapon. In other words, just the sort of person that a restless teenager of the times would admire. His own family had been exiled to Iceland because his father was accused of killing a man.

To read the adventures of Gunther, go to my web site http://papajoesfantasticworld.com New episodes of this serial are posted every month.

message 8: by Frances (last edited Aug 26, 2009 08:25AM) (new)

Frances (mothindarkness) awesome. Abner, I popped over and checked out Kat and Mouse. Your writing is fabulous!
I'll be keeping up with this one, and I'm glad to have you on the Webserials group... :-)

Frances

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Frances. Glad you're enjoying it.

I saw the blurb for yours and I'll be checking it out. Sounds like it'll be a fun read.

Frances wrote: "awesome. Abner, I popped over and checked out Kat and Mouse. Your writing is fabulous!
I'll be keeping up with this one, and I'm glad to have you on the Webserials group... :-)

Frances"

message 10: by A.D. (new)

A.D. Maybe someone can explain to me what is a webisode? I was watching BattleStar Galactica series and got to 2.5 and then to 3.0 and discouvered there were 10 webisodes in between? Just when the Pegisus and the Galactica launched ships at each other "to be continued" and I can't figure out how to get these 10 episodes? I am a netflix subscriber.

message 11: by Frances (new)

Frances (mothindarkness) If I had to guess, I'd say they are short, internet only episodes. As in, you probably have to go to the B.G. website and download or watch them. . .
Anyone have a better guess? Any Galactica fans?

Frances

message 12: by Shirley (last edited Jan 03, 2010 01:12PM) (new)

Shirley Meier | 26 comments I'd like to announce the Rose&Bay Award for online fiction, or weblit or webfiction/and four other categories including 'Patron', is now open for nominations!

This award is for crowd/cyberfunded works online.

http://community.livejournal.com/crow...

Voting, I believe, will be in February.