Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Grave’s a Fine and Private Place-Bradley- 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments I suppose you could make a case for calling Flavia DeLuce a strong women. But she's a child, so I'm putting the review in this thread.

The Grave's a Fine and Private Place (Flavia de Luce, #9) by Alan Bradley

The Grave’s a Fine and Private Place -Bradley
Audio performance by Jane Entwistle
3 stars

Oh, Flavia, Flavia, Flavia.

A bit of a summer hiatus from Buckshaw and grief for Flavia and her sisters. Dogger and the girls are punting on the river when Flavia just happens to pull up a corpse.

Of course she does.

Solving the current mystery means that Flavia & company must explore the events of a previous murder. Or, actually three murders of three church women by their bishop. It’s a very convoluted story. More than usual. I lost interest in the mystery and it’s solution long before the end of the book.

I did enjoy the growing warmth of Flavia’s relationship to her sisters. I liked the way she worked with Dogger to improvise chemical analysis equipment. I tired of Flavia’s need to invent outrageous lies while trying to get answers in her investigations. I know that most listeners love Jane Entwistle’s performance of Flavia, but I like Flavia better when I’m reading the text. Listening to her brings out the classroom teacher in me. I only hear the bratty child. Reading Flavia makes me laugh.

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7481 comments I listened to the audiobook and Liked it better that way as it makes her outrageous lies much easier to take. BUT I agree that Entwistle makes her sound too bratty, which is not the way I read her voice. However, Entwistle has saved some of the weaker books in this series which fluctuates back and forth and I'm not a classroom teacher, so I still think it very well done overall.

One of the reasons I liked this one a fair bit was because of her improved relationships with her sisters. The sibling rivalry went on in extremes for too many books.

message 3: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments Karin wrote: "I listened to the audiobook and Liked it better that way as it makes her outrageous lies much easier to take. BUT I agree that Entwistle makes her sound too bratty, which is not the way I read her ..."

Yes, I liked the warmer relationships. But that is something that also comes across better, for me, reading the books. I think Bradley wants the reader to know that Flavia is an unreliable narrator, especially where her sisters are concerned.

message 4: by Karin (last edited Apr 27, 2018 03:36PM) (new)

Karin | 7481 comments Jgrace wrote: "Yes, I liked the warmer relationships. But that is something that also comes across better, for me, reading the books. I think Bradley wants the reader to know that Flavia is an unreliable narrator, especially where her sisters are concerned..."

Yes, since she is first 11 then 12, it's obvious she isn't reliable about her sisters, but it's also not difficult to see past some of that for me. It is completely normal for children that age to be unreliable about others, particularly others of different ages than they are :). All her views of people are no more reliable than one can expect from a child that age most of the time and it is one of the things that reminds us that, as precocious as she is, she is a child/tween.