Year-long NaNo discussion

Jason Hein > Writing Updates

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Since I am not editing (And thus can not post in the daily word count) I figured I would try and remain active here by starting this topic, just to post/chat, or whatever about my ongoing writing pursuits.

So far I am waiting on the cover for books 1 and 2, while running one last edit through book 2. Then I will be starting on editing book 3! :D

Editing is a fun process but seems to drag out for me. Much slower than the writing. I'm anxious to get on to writing again, but I know I can't rush this very important process.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Well, still editing! lol

I've been through book 2 several times now, and hoping to have it finished in the next few weeks!

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments I'm afraid I am terribly bad about this whole consistency in posting. :P

I have finished editing on book two and am continuing on to book 3 now. It's been slow going due to a busy scheduel in RL, but it's still going! :D

Had a few other exciting projects int he works, though, like some music being made for my fantasy world. I'm supper excited about that as well!

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Well, editing has come to a bit of a halt due to me waiting on another to go over the manuscript.

However, on the upside, I've got all of my editing done for round one. I am also soon to see a cover for Book 2, and soon to have my music CD in the finishing stages! :D Looking forward to all these projects being concluded!

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments I know I said I was finished on book 2, but since the cover is nearing completion I am running through it one last time! Lol

message 6: by Jason (last edited Jul 23, 2018 05:24PM) (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Well, I finished book 2 again. Lol I am editing on book 3 now. So far I have got the first 12 chapters edited.

message 7: by Lena, Mage (new)

Lena (lenakarynn) | 1268 comments Mod
Awesome! Good luck! :)

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Thanks! :D

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Finished book 3 editing for this round! Starting on the next round now. :D

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Got the prologue and first chapter edited. It has been slow the past few days.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Congrats! I hope all goes well for you!

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Thanks! :) So far its going great, simply because I am loving every moment of it! Lol I’m still very unknown as an author and don’t sell many books, but that’s not as big of a deal. I enjoy writing a lot and it’s awesome to have my books in paperback and kindle form! :D

message 13: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Well life has thrown me one of those busy moments. ( a moment lasting several weeks so far) I’ve had to take a break from editing for the time being. Hoping to get a chapter or two edited today between everything else, though.

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Oh man I know what you mean.... life always seems to be getting in the way.

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments btw : How many times do you try to edit the book?

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments It does indeed!!

Well, most of my books it ends up being around 20-25 times I go through them all in all.

Basically I keep going until I can read all the way through and feel satisfied leaving everything unchanged. Lol

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments I see.... XD I totally understand though .... lol

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments :) It honestly takes me far longer to edit a book than to write one! Lol

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Yes I know what it like! Same way for me. The editing process can be difficult, it is for me. I hope you can work past the busyness of life to finish the third book. ^.^

message 20: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Hehe same here! I will get it finished, just a mater of when. My goal is near the end of the year, but I would kind of like for it to happen sooner. We shall see. :)

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments I'm hoping to finish up my book by the end of the year, but depending on life we shall see if that happens. I'm currently trying to work my routine into a different schedule.

message 22: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Awesome! :D Do you have a website or social media outside goodreads? I would be more than happy to share your work with my (small) audience. Then I can share again when your book comes out. :)

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Noo...... :( I am hoping to get a blog up soon, but we shall see where that goes ( lol ). I would be ever so thankful for an publicity that I can get. I can let you know when I get a blog up, but until then my book must be finished.... and so far a small circle of friends and whoever looks on my site here are the only people to know about it. So publicity would be much appreciated, whatever you can do to help would be pleasing. >.< Thanks!!

message 24: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments No worries! :D When you do get something set up, just let me know! :) I’m always glad to share other up and coming indie authors. Been through the beginning strugles (and won’t pretend like the strugle doesn’t still drag on) so I know how much it helps to have someone else in your corner.

For now I will share your goodreads profile. :)

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Thanks again! Whatever you can do would be much appreciated as I have been trying to get you out there as well! ;)

message 26: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Thanks, I really do appreciate that! :D

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Np! I enjoying do it, especially if it brings delight to readers! ;)

message 28: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments :D

message 29: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Well I have finished editing book 3 for now! I’ve got some beta readers, so after feedback from them I will run theough it another time or two. (If anyone wants to beta read just message me, I will have plenty of opportunity between books 3 and 4)

I also did another edit through book 4 and just today began work on a brand new stand alone fantasy Novel! I’m excited about this new one! (Daily word count will be back in action! Lol )

message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Yay! So excited for you.... I would beta read but between my own book schedule and the fact that I haven't read book one in your series I can't. xD

message 31: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Thanks guys! :) I appreciate the support!

If you do, Shine, I would love to hear what you think!

No worries Hannah, I completely understand! I am the same way. I keep thinking about beta reading for other authors, but I hardly even read at all anymore! Any time I would have to read, I am writing or editing!

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments That stinks ... but thanks for understanding. Reading is as much apart of my day as is writing...

message 33: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments :) Yeah, I always liked reading, but honestly I generally have so much more fun when writing. Lol I guess that is why I tend to write so much more than I read. I am also a slow reader, though. I can write as much or more (on a good day) as I can read.

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments I see.... that's interesting, but people are different so I should expect as much. *shrugs shoulders* 😊

message 35: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments This is true. Lol :)

message 36: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments xD 😉😊

message 37: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Well, I finished another round of editing through book 3.

Now I am just waiting on the beta readers to get back to me. Once I get their feedback I will probably go through it another 2-3 times and be completely done and ready for release! :D

message 38: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Awesome! Is this your last book in the series?

message 39: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments No, it is a four book series. Book four is already written and partially edited, though. I just need to work more on editing, and then the release date will depend on when I have the funds to pay for a cover.

message 40: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Oh I see.... do you work on the book by yourself? or does someone help you with cover designs and editing?

message 41: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments I do the text myself. I've had a few family members edit a time or two through and offer suggestions, but it's hard to get them to take it seriously. lol I waited for 6 months for a one time through edit last time.

With the cover, I only wish I was talented enough to do that myself! lol The covers I pay an artist and a designer to put together for me.

I actually just got the first cover draft for my latest book, so it's very close to finished. I'm excited about that! :D

message 42: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Wow.... yep that's when I do it myself... xD

Cool... I definitely have some art talent but not for sketching humans... I can draw basically any other creation... xD

Oh yay!! That's exciting!! It's always wonderful when a book actually starts to come together!! :)

message 43: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Lol yup. I think I end up going through each book at least 20-25 times or more!

Hey, at least there is that! I have heard that humans are one of the more difficult things to draw, but if you can draw other stuff, at least you can do some artwork for your own books! That's awesome! I've dinked around a bit with computer art. Basically cutting and pasting things together from a conglomeration of public domain photos and putting them all through a bunch of filters to make them look cool. lol That's how I got the map highlights for my books.

Anywhoo... I'm rambling now. :P But yes, it is very exciting! :D

message 44: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments That's terrible.....

Well at least you have something.... but I know how my cover is gonna look, and I'm gonna need the computer's help. xD

Well I don't mind ramblings.... after all I am a reader....

message 45: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Well, it gets the job done I guess. Lol

Yes, I was blessed to find the artist and designer I am using!

That’s awesome. :) You will have to let me know when you get it preview ready! I’d love to see it. :)

Lol true true. I just feel bad going on too much sometimes. Especially about my writing. I’m always afraid people will think I am overbearing. Get me on certain subjects and I can ramble on forever.

message 46: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments It does though....

That's awesome!! :)

Thanks.... and I will let you know... when it's ready and if I remember... xD

Haha.... well I enjoy books like that and ( depending on the topic ) conversations like that! What do you enjoy discoursing about?

message 47: by Jason (last edited Sep 23, 2018 05:47AM) (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Sounds like a plan. Lol My memory is not the best, so I won’t hold it against someone to forget something. ;)

Well, writing would be the obvious one. :p But I also raise goats and sheep, which I love. I have been known to get carried away talking about that too, as odd a s it seems. Same with some of my personal beliefs. (Most biblical and a few political) Then of course there is Ireland... I have a lot of Irish ancestry and wish with everything in me that I could live in Ireland!! I am also learning Irish Gaeilge on DuoLingo. Then the nerd side of me can have some pretty lengthy conversation about Lord of The Rings and Star Wars. Lol Those would be the major topics anyways.

message 48: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Well, it’s back to editing book 3, so my daily word count will drop off for a while. Hopefully a few more runs through book 3 and it should be ready to release in a month or so!

message 49: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 97 comments Got 5 chapters edited today. :)

message 50: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Yay!!

Sorry I haven't commented... I've been a little sickly... lately.

« previous 1