Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive - Noms & Newsletters > June 2018 Sub-Genre Nominations (true crime)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited May 30, 2018 12:45PM) (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers,

Nominations for our June Sub-genre Book Discussion are now open. To ensure your nomination will be included in our poll, please make sure it conforms to the following guidelines:

📌AUTHORS please note: We DO NOT accept nominations of your own work. Please see our Author Guidelines for more information. You are, however, welcome to participate in the nomination (of another author's work), polling, and book discussions in general.

📌Only members who have actively participated in prior book discussions will be permitted to nominate books for the following month. If you have recently joined the group, please do participate in the current month's discussion so you qualify as a valid nominator. A more thorough explanation can be found here.

✔️ You may nominate one (1) book. PLEASE NOTE: By entering a nomination you are agreeing to act as our Book Discussion Leader for that book if it wins. Don't worry it is neither difficult nor time consuming and the moderators are here to help in the event that you need a hand.

✔️ Your nomination should be a in the TRUE CRIME genre.

✔️A book is only eligible if it is available in paperback and digital formats in the US/Canada and UK/Australia. We recently discovered that many books are released in the UK/Australia months before they are released in the US/Canada. Please understand we are trying to give all our members the opportunity to participate in our book discussions. We don't want to exclude a significant portion of our members because they do not have availability to the book nominated.

✔️ You may nominate any book that is in a series, it does not have to be the first book.

✔️ To ensure your nomination is included in our poll correctly, do include the name of both the book and the author. You are welcome to use the "add book/author" tool, which is located above the right upper corner of the comment window when you nominate your selection.

✔️ Post your nomination as a comment in this discussion. Do not notify the moderators of your selection by way of a private message, if you do you run the risk of your book not being including in the poll.

If you have any questions, you can leave a comment in this discussion or send me a private message directly.

The nomination period will close on April 29th at approximately 7:oo pm, Arizona time.

Polling will begin on May 2nd.

Thank you and happy reading!

message 2: by Janet M (new)

Janet M (pianogal) | 7 comments Hi folks,
I realize I cannot nominate as I haven't been active in a discussion yet. But thought it might be fitting to consider a book on the Golden State Killer who was recently apprehended? I think I've read some in the past, or I may have him mixed up with the Green River Killer.
Anyway, just a suggestion! :o)

message 3: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Jackson | 1 comments I’ll Be Gone in the Dark!

message 4: by Janet M (new)

Janet M (pianogal) | 7 comments Lindsay wrote: "I’ll Be Gone in the Dark!"

Yes, Lindsay! I just looked it up; says the author Ms. McNamera died Apr. 21, 2016 at age 46. Wow, this was just published in February?!

message 5: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 108 comments I nominate The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Janet wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "I’ll Be Gone in the Dark!"

Yes, Lindsay! I just looked it up; says the author Ms. McNamera died Apr. 21, 2016 at age 46. Wow, this was just published in February?!"

The author was the girlfriend of comedian Patton Oswald (aka Ratatouille for those of us who have kids) and he oversaw the posthumous publication of her work.

message 7: by Nguyen (new)

Nguyen Xuan | 16 comments I wish to nominate The Girl After by JP Delaney.

message 8: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen Anaka (meaz7) | 63 comments I'll Be Gone In the Dark

PattyMacDotComma | 404 comments I read this last August, and it is a real conversation-starter! Here’s what I posted then.
5★ for Helen Garner's searing story of a fascinating Canberra murder trial in Joe Cinque's Consolation, A True Story of Death, Grief and the Law.
Joe Cinque's Consolation, A True Story of Death, Grief and the Law by Helen Garner My review

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Davis I would also like to nominate Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule.

message 11: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 2134 comments Samantha wrote: "I would also like to nominate Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule."

I second this book.

The Stranger Beside Me Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story by Ann Rule The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story by Ann Rule

message 12: by Danny (new)

Danny Tyran (danny_) | 135 comments I Cried, You Didn't Listen by Dwight Edgar Abbott I Cried, You Didn't Listen by Dwight Edgar Abbott

California spends $400,000,000 annually to incarcerate children as young as 12 years old. Every year, the price of a four-year education at Stanford University buys each of these children horrifying physical, sexual, and psychological abuse behind the walls and fences of the California Youth Authority.

Note that it's also in French.

At the age of nine, a family tragedy split up Dwight Abbott’s family, and forced him into the hands of the California Youth Authority. This is the chilling chronicle of his life behind bars—a story of brutality and survival; a dark journey showing how the systematic abuse of incarcerated children creates a cycle of criminal behavior that usually ends with prison or death.

In its first serialization, I Cried, You Didn’t Listen won a Project Censored award for stories that are significant, yet under-reported in the mainstream media. This second edition contains an introduction by Books Not Bars, new pieces by the author, and writing from more recent victims of the CYA.

Dwight Abbott, has been in and out of prison since his childhood. He is now serving multiple life sentences in Salinas Valley State Prison in Soledad, CA.

message 13: by Erica (new)

Erica | 46 comments I like to nominate this book. Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI

In the 1920s, the richest people per capita in the world were members of the Osage Indian Nation in Oklahoma. After oil was discovered beneath their land, the Osage rode in chauffeured automobiles, built mansions, and sent their children to study in Europe.

Then, one by one, they began to be killed off. One Osage woman, Mollie Burkhart, watched as her family was murdered. Her older sister was shot. Her mother was then slowly poisoned. And it was just the beginning, as more Osage began to die under mysterious circumstances.

In this last remnant of the Wild West—where oilmen like J. P. Getty made their fortunes and where desperadoes such as Al Spencer, “the Phantom Terror,” roamed – virtually anyone who dared to investigate the killings were themselves murdered. As the death toll surpassed more than twenty-four Osage, the newly created F.B.I. took up the case, in what became one of the organization’s first major homicide investigations. But the bureau was then notoriously corrupt and initially bungled the case. Eventually the young director, J. Edgar Hoover, turned to a former Texas Ranger named Tom White to try to unravel the mystery. White put together an undercover team, including one of the only Native American agents in the bureau. They infiltrated the region, struggling to adopt the latest modern techniques of detection. Together with the Osage they began to expose one of the most sinister conspiracies in American history.

A true-life murder mystery about one of the most monstrous crimes in American history. (less)

message 14: by Tonya (new)

Tonya Mathis | 75 comments I'll second Killers of the Flower Moon.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.