Play Book Tag discussion

Circe
This topic is about Circe
April 2018: Strong Women > Circe by Madeline Miller- 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (last edited Apr 25, 2018 11:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tracy (tstan) | 1241 comments Because I wasn't sure how to pronounce her name, I looked it up before I started to read- in Greek, it is Keer-kee. In other languages, it is Sirss. Once I got that out of the way, I was able to truly enjoy this book.

Circe is one of the Nymph children of Helios, Titan in charge of daylight. She was not well-loved, because she hadn't discovered her true self yet- her witchcraft. It took turning the nymph Scylla into the monster Scylla for her to realize she had a gift. When she was banished to her own island, she honed it.

Circe helped her sister birth the Minotaur, she loved Daedalus and he designed her a special loom. She was Medea's aunt, she had a relationship with Hermes, and, of course, she was hostess to Odysseus for a season, giving him help and advice to get through his next trials.

Where Homer told of a witch who was unpleasant, Miller creates a misunderstood goddess whose biggest fault was her trust and love of mortals. Though trusting, she was very clever, and was able to do what it took to protect her island, herself, and her son with Odysseus.

This was an enjoyable and surprisingly quick read, even though it took me 3 days to finish. (Finally spring showed up- outside took precedence...) It brings to life a character that is often overlooked because she is female, and she was a fascinating character.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7873 comments Good to see a great review of this! It is high on my list and I cannot wait to get to it :)

Susie I’ve seen so many rave reviews about this one, but yours makes me think I’ll love it too as you and I seem to rarely disagree. I can’t wait now!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7873 comments Also, as an added bonus, I really love mythology based stories.

Tracy, do you think it would be worth my spending a little time with my friend Wikipedia to brush up on the mythology of Circe before diving in?

Tracy (tstan) | 1241 comments It might, but Miller does a great job of incorporating myth, plays, and philosophy. She’s a gateway to Hellenic everything. If anyone can make someone want to read Homer, it’s her.

Tracy (tstan) | 1241 comments Susie wrote: "I’ve seen so many rave reviews about this one, but yours makes me think I’ll love it too as you and I seem to rarely disagree. I can’t wait now!"

I’m positive you’ll like this one!