Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive - Noms & Newsletters > June 2018 General Nominations

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited May 30, 2018 12:29PM) (new)

Gem  | 1336 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers,

Nominations for our June General Book Discussions are now open. To ensure your nomination will be included in our poll, please make sure it conforms to the following guidelines:

📌AUTHORS please note: We DO NOT accept nominations of your own work. Please see our Author Guidelines for more information. You are, however, welcome to participate in the nomination (of another author's work), polling, and book discussions in general.

📌Only members who have actively participated in prior book discussions will be permitted to nominate books for the following month. If you have recently joined the group, please do participate in the current month's discussion so you qualify as a valid nominator. A more thorough explanation can be found here.

✔️ You may nominate one (1) book. PLEASE NOTE: By entering a nomination you are agreeing to act as our Book Discussion Leader for that book if it wins. Don't worry it is neither difficult nor time consuming and the moderators are here to help in the event that you need a hand.

✔️ Your nomination should be in the crime, mystery, or thriller genres or their sub-genres.

✔️A book is only eligible if it is available in paperback and digital formats in the US/Canada and UK/Australia. We recently discovered that many books are released in the UK/Australia months before they are released in the US/Canada. Please understand we are trying to give all our members the opportunity to participate in our book discussions. We don't want to exclude a significant portion of our members because they do not have availability to the book nominated.

✔️ You may nominate any book that is in a series, it does not have to be the first book.

✔️ To ensure your nomination is included in our poll correctly, do include the name of both the book and the author. You are welcome to use the "add book/author" tool, which is located above the right upper corner of the comment window when you nominate your selection.

✔️ Post your nomination as a comment in this discussion. Do not notify the moderators of your selection by way of a private message, if you do you run the risk of your book not being including in the poll.

If you have any questions, you can leave a comment in this discussion or send me a private message directly.

The nomination period will close on April 29th at approximately 7:oo pm, Arizona time.

Polling will begin on May 2nd.

Thank you and happy reading!

message 2: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1336 comments Mod
I wanted to apologize to Danielle who nomination The Lazarus Succession last month. I disallowed it incorrectly. This book will be included in this month's poll.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 922 comments I will re-nominate my Golden Age contender from last month:
A Man Lay Dead by Ngaio Marsh

message 4: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 2134 comments It's not a new novel but it seems real good.

Vertical Run by Joseph R. Garber Vertical Run by Joseph R. Garber

You think YOU had a killer workday. . .
Get ready for the FASTEST thriller of the summer!
Each morning in his 45th floor executive office, David Elliot savors the quiet moments until the workday begins.
Until today, when his boss walks in and aims a gun at him.
For the rest of the day, he will be trapped in his midtown office building, and everyone David Elliot meets will try to kill him.
He has 24 hours to find out why. . .
In "Vertical Run," you can escape into a world on fast forward, a drama that plays out with electrifying intensity. No one who reads this book will ever see the office the same way again.

message 5: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 2134 comments ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I wanted to apologize to Danielle who nomination The Lazarus Succession last month. I disallowed it incorrectly. This book will be included in this month's poll."

I forgive you. ;) Thanks for including it in this month's poll.

message 6: by Skye (new)

Skye | 200 comments I would like to nominate Cold Earth by Ann Cleeves.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) I would like to nominate Crisis Shot (The Line of Duty #1) by Janice Cantore

message 8: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I'd like to nominate Haunted Ground by Erin Hart, the first in a series of 4 books located in Ireland and featuring an archeologist in the mix solving the crimes.

message 9: by Sévérin (new)

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 462 comments IQ (IQ, #1) by Joe Ide IQ by Joe Ide

A resident of one of LA's toughest neighborhoods uses his blistering intellect to solve the crimes the LAPD ignores.

East Long Beach. The LAPD is barely keeping up with the neighborhood's high crime rate. Murders go unsolved, lost children unrecovered. But someone from the neighborhood has taken it upon himself to help solve the cases the police can't or won't touch.

They call him IQ. He's a loner and a high school dropout, his unassuming nature disguising a relentless determination and a fierce intelligence. He charges his clients whatever they can afford, which might be a set of tires or a homemade casserole. To get by, he's forced to take on clients that can pay.

This time, it's a rap mogul whose life is in danger. As Isaiah investigates, he encounters a vengeful ex-wife, a crew of notorious cutthroats, a monstrous attack dog, and a hit man who even other hit men say is a lunatic. The deeper Isaiah digs, the more far reaching and dangerous the case becomes.

Winner of the Anthony, Macavity, and Shamus Awards.

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 30 comments Sévérin wrote: "IQ (IQ, #1) by Joe Ide IQ by Joe Ide

A resident of one of LA's toughest neighborhoods uses his blistering intellect to solve the crimes the LAPD ignores.

East ..."

I second that. It's on my TBR.

message 11: by William (last edited Apr 29, 2018 04:57AM) (new)

William Sévérin wrote: "IQ (IQ, #1) by Joe Ide IQ by Joe Ide

A resident of one of LA's toughest neighborhoods uses his blistering intellect to solve the crimes the LAPD ignores."

Fantastic book, about time for me to read it again! A fabulous journey into Tarantino-esque dialog and characters, a bling noir, a poor black's Sherlock and money-driven, a'hole Watson, a completely guilty pleasure.

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 45 comments Hi everyone

I'd like to nominate The Intruders by Michael Marshall

Starting as mostly an sci-fi writer, Marshall moved into crime with the stunningly good The Straw Men. and has consistently shown himself to be one of the best dark thriller writers around.

I believe the Intruders was made into a TV series, but I've been unable to find it on any of the UK streaming services.

message 13: by Danny (new)

Danny Tyran (danny_) | 135 comments I Am Not A Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1) by Dan Wells I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells I Am Not A Serial Killer

John Wayne Cleaver is dangerous, and he knows it. He's spent his life doing his best not to live up to his potential. He's obsessed with serial killers, but really doesn't want to become one. So for his own sake, and the safety of those around him, he lives by rigid rules he's written for himself, practicing normal life as if it were a private religion that could save him from damnation.

Dead bodies are normal to John. He likes them, actually. They don't demand or expect the empathy he's unable to offer. Perhaps that's what gives him the objectivity to recognize that there's something different about the body the police have just found behind the Wash-n-Dry Laundromat---and to appreciate what that difference means. Now, for the first time, John has to confront a danger outside himself, a threat he can't control, a menace to everything and everyone he would love, if only he could.

message 14: by Erica (last edited Apr 29, 2018 09:39AM) (new)

Erica | 46 comments I'd like to nominate this book. Perfect Remains by Helen Fields.

The first in a nail-shredding new crime series. Fans of M.J. Arlidge will be gripped from start to finish.

On a remote Highland mountain, the body of Elaine Buxton is burning. All that will be left to identify the respected lawyer are her teeth and a fragment of clothing.

In the concealed back room of a house in Edinburgh, the real Elaine Buxton screams into the darkness.

Detective Inspector Luc Callanach has barely set foot in his new office when Elaine’s missing persons case is escalated to a murder investigation. Having left behind a promising career at Interpol, he’s eager to prove himself to his new team. But Edinburgh, he discovers, is a long way from Lyon, and Elaine’s killer has covered his tracks with meticulous care.

It’s not long before another successful woman is abducted from her doorstep, and Callanach finds himself in a race against the clock. Or so he believes ... The real fate of the women will prove more twisted than he could have ever imagined.

Fans of Angela Marson, Mark Billingham and M. J. Aldridge will be gripped by this chilling journey into the mind of a troubled killer. (less)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.