Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > I can't transfer books to Kindle Paperwhite

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marta (new)

Marta Hi there!
I am writing to ask you about my current dilemma. I have a Mac and use Calibre to transfer eBooks to my Kindle Paperwhite. I've never had any problems before, but a few months ago I lost my original USB cable and simply bought another one. The Kindle charges normally, but I have discovered that it does not connect to the computer, so I cannot transfer new ebooks. As I have read in this forum ( https://discussions.apple.com/thread/... ) the problem is related to the USB cable, apparently it needs to be the original one in order to connect it to Mac.
Has anything similar happened to you? Do you know where can I buy an original Kindle USB cable? Are there other ways to transfer books to the reader?

message 2: by Marta (new)

Marta This is the only further information I could find: https://ebooks.stackexchange.com/ques...?

message 3: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 455 comments doesn't have to be the original one, but does need to be one that allows data transfer

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlb) | 50 comments You definitely don't need the original cable- we switch cables around in our house all of the time (I have a PC, my husband has a Mac- I have a kobo and he has a kindle and we can each use whatever micro USB cord is handy).

It can take a few tries to find a generic micro USB cable that works fully- a lot of them connect and charge, but the computer won't recognize it as a kindle (which means that Calibre can't). If you don't want to spend time trying out various generic USB cables, try buying one directly from Amazon? If you're still having problems, I'd try resetting the kindle to factory defaults (I tag books on the device as "device" in Calibre so I can easily reload them)- it shouldn't take it long to get it up and going again. For some reason sometimes resetting it make a difference when nothing else does.

message 5: by Marta (new)

Marta CBRetriever wrote: "doesn't have to be the original one, but does need to be one that allows data transfer"

Oh! I didn't know there was such a difference between cables. I thought they all were the same. It makes sense, since the one I adquired after losing the original one was cheap.
How can I know if the cable allows data transfer or not?

message 6: by Marta (last edited Apr 25, 2018 11:10AM) (new)

Marta Jen wrote: "You definitely don't need the original cable- we switch cables around in our house all of the time (I have a PC, my husband has a Mac- I have a kobo and he has a kindle and we can each use whatever..."

I tried looking for original cable replacements on the Amazon store, but couldn't find any sold directly by them. I am really afraid of resetting the whole Kindle, so I think I'll do as you firstly suggested and try on other cables to see if they work. Apparently, there is a difference between cables that only charge and cables that also transfer data, so I guess I'll have to find one that does both!