The BookBum Club {HIATUS} discussion

MAY 2018 THEME > May 2018 Theme: AROUND THE WORLD

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zuky (last edited May 12, 2018 05:03AM) (new)

Zuky the BookBum (zukythebookbum) | 107 comments Mod
Hello bookish friends!

Thank you to everyone who joined in last month! It's a new month, which means a new theme. I hope you all find it interesting...

THE THEME FOR MAY IS: AROUND THE WORLD

Read a book by an author who's from a different country.

I read so many books by English or American authors that I thought it was time for a change! I'd like to make this theme an 'avoid UK and US authors' month but I thought that might be a bit tricky.

Invisible points go out to people reading from authors of smaller, more "obscure" countries.

~

I'll be reading:

Kin (The Helga Finnsdottir #1) by Snorri Kristjansson

Kin by Snorri Kristjansson

I was given this book courtesy of Bookbridgr so I really need to get round to reading it anyway, but it just so happens the author is from Iceland! I don't think I've ever read a book from an Icelandic author, so it will be interesting to see if there's a certain writing style in this that feels different to what I'm used to reading.

12/05/2018 update

Kin was a DNF for me, so I am changing my book to...

Give It Back by Danielle Esplin

Give It Back by Danielle Esplin

I had started this one on my Kindle anyway, not realising it would fit this theme! However, Esplin is from South Aprica, so it works perfectly. Hopefully, I can finish this one!

~

Let us know what book you'll be choosing to read this month, and where the author is from!

Don't forget to tag any Instagram or Twitter posts with #BookBumClub so I can find them!

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (bookwyrmknits) | 22 comments I'm going to be reading a book that's been on my TBR list for a looooong time:

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank. Germany isn't an "obscure" country by any means so I don't get any extra points, but it's not my country, so it counts. ;-)

message 3: by Amalia (new)

Amalia Gkavea I'll be reading Macbeth Macbeth (Hogarth Shakespeare) by Jo Nesbø by Jo Nesbø

Aqsa (On Hiatus) (her_747) Everything I'll be reading for May is gonna be fitting in this one!

I'll read All the Light We Cannot See

message 5: by lib (new)

lib I'm going to be reading Code Name: Johnny Walker: The Extraordinary Story of the Iraqi Who Risked Everything to Fight with the U.S. Navy SEALs which is co-written by an Iraqi who, funnily enough, is code-named "Johnny Walker". I haven't picked up a nonfiction military read for quite a while and it's one of my favourite genres so thanks for inspiring me to pick this one up! Hopefully it'll be great :)

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex I'll read one that I was going to read during the April challenge but didn't quite get to:

Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord who is from Barbados!

message 7: by Nora (new)

Nora  (raccoonstudiez) I set my goal to avoid German AND English/American authors I am going to be reading The Dinner by Herman Koch and Norwegian Woods by Haruki Murakami

message 8: by Hafsa | حفصہ (last edited Apr 26, 2018 03:10AM) (new)

Hafsa | حفصہ (vibingwithabook) | 20 comments In the Bazaar of Love by Paul E Losensky

I'm planning to read "In the Bazaar of Love: The Selected Poetry of Amir Khusrau" by Amir Khusrau who was an influential poet in the Indian subcontinent (comprised of independent countries today such as Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Nepal...)

message 9: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (goodreadscomwhatcathyreadnext) | 40 comments My reading list for May is such madness already that I couldn't possibly add another one to it. So I've chosen a book that's already on it but that fits the bill as the author was born in Italy. It's That Summer in Puglia by Valeria Vescina

message 10: by Tara (new)

Tara Million I'm going to read The Architect's Apprentice by Elif Shafak which is a historical novel set in Istanbul during the Ottoman Empire. I've never read anything by Elif Shafak so I'm looking forward to seeing what her writing is like. I have high hopes!

message 11: by Jamie-Lee (new)

Jamie-Lee (jlkfraser) | 17 comments Hi Everyone!

I am going to read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak . He hails from Sydney, Australia. This book has been on my book list since I first joined Goodreads back in 2011. It is time. I'll be listening to it as an audiobook.

Happy reading everybody!

message 12: by Tara (new)

Tara Million Jamie-Lee wrote: "Hi Everyone!

I am going to read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak . He hails from Sydney, Australia. This book has been on my book list since I first joined Goodreads back..."

I read The Book Thief awhile ago and ended up loving it. It had taken me a few years of cicling around it before I finally picked it up though! Hope you enjoy it.

message 13: by Quirkyreader (new)

Quirkyreader | 16 comments I think my choice will be Picnic at Hanging Rock Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay

Seeing as I want to read more writers from Australia.

Misty's Book Space (mistysbookspace) I had originally planned on a different book but I decided to go with The Book Thief by Markus Zusak who is Australian. I started this book this month but I know there’s no way I’m finishing it so I am using it for next months prompt.

message 15: by Magical_Bookworm (new)

Magical_Bookworm | 26 comments I'll will be reading Paper Princess. It's by Erin Watt. Which is two authors who write under the same name. At least one of them is Canadian. I don't think I have ever read a book by a Canadian author.

message 16: by Alejandrina (new)

Alejandrina | 11 comments I'll be reading My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante.

message 17: by Rita (new)

Rita (bookishr) | 5 comments I'm doing the Asian Lit Bingo reading challenge this month, so I'll be reading books by Korean, Chinese, and Indian authors!

(Mellifluous Grant) (raeallic) | 18 comments I am reading A Baby’s Bones by Rebecca Alexander of the UK.

message 19: by Zuky (new)

Zuky the BookBum (zukythebookbum) | 107 comments Mod
Lissa wrote: "I am reading A Baby’s Bones by Rebecca Alexander of the UK."

Enjoy Lissa! I read that one recently too :-)

message 20: by Mike (new)

Mike Smith (MikeSmith_91) | 1 comments Great Theme! I'm going to be cheeky and combine two of my groups monthly book themes into one and read Timur Vermes's Look Who's Back from Germany.

message 21: by Maria (last edited May 09, 2018 12:26AM) (new)

Maria | 3 comments I've just recently joined this group and already finished two books, which would fit this theme. But I diceded two further tackle my to-read-pile and add Patrick Modianos In the Cafe of Lost Youth. Although I have to admit that I am reading it in german.

message 22: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments i also am reading 2 more that fit the category- Journey from the Land of No- Iranian author- Hakakian; and 100 Years of Solitude- by Gabriel Garcia Marquez- a Ccolumbian author.this was a winner of a Nobel prize.

message 23: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. It turns out I'm already in the middle of an on-theme book: Care of Wooden Floors by Will Wiles, who lives in London. I never could find confirmation that he's from London, but the book takes place in an Eastern-European city so I'm going to count it.

message 24: by Alejandrina (new)

Alejandrina | 11 comments Finished My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante and, because it's only May 20th, I'll attempt Wife of the Gods, by Kwei Quartey. It's a mystery story in Ghana.

message 25: by Scott (new)

Scott Turnbull I read The Girl in the Spiders Web. My review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 26: by Alejandrina (new)

Alejandrina | 11 comments Mike wrote: "Great Theme! I'm going to be cheeky and combine two of my groups monthly book themes into one and read Timur Vermes's Look Who's Back from Germany."

The movie is also worth the time!

message 27: by Tara (last edited May 20, 2018 08:51PM) (new)

Tara Million I've changed my mind and decided to read Beartown by Fredrik Backman which has been on my TBR shelf since 2017. He's Swedish and the book is also set in Sweden. I've read him before and I really like his writing style, so hopefully this one is good too.

message 28: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 9 comments I read Music and Silence by Rose Tremain - fantastic historical fiction set in 17th century Denmark

message 29: by Aqsa (On Hiatus) (new)

Aqsa (On Hiatus) (her_747) I read War Storm