Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Buddy Reads > Nicole & Michaele's Eternal Buddy Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,557 (1557 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 31 32

message 1: by Michaele (last edited Apr 25, 2018 09:02AM) (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments Up next The Room Mate

message 2: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments I read the first 5 chapters (I think) they are pretty short chapters. I'm still hopeful, but not completely sold yet. He is pretty over the top- in the "every women who sees my d**k will immediately fall in love" kinda way. She also notes the changes in him since she'd last seen him and thinks of him as witty, etc, but they've been together less than 5 minutes, so how would she know all that so fast? I don't know.

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments I couldn't start yesterday but will do so this morning. My first class of the day is a double and they're working on their projects so I'll catch up then :)

message 4: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments It won't take long, like I said the chapters are very short.

message 5: by Nicole (last edited Apr 26, 2018 02:28AM) (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Got to the end of chapter 5...and I think I'm biased. I'm trying to be objective but its proving to be difficult.

Now both of them just jumped straight to sexual, and very lewd, thoughts. And it's a little too much. Yeah, there can be instant attraction. But not ad nauseam like this. I foresee one too many inner monologues about what they want to do to each other *eye roll*

And another pet peeve of mine is when authors don't check the small little details. One moment Cannon's laptop was destroyed when his crazy ex ransacked his place and then later on it's one of his only possessions. I hate that. Like doesn't someone check the book before hand for these things?

message 6: by Nicole (last edited Apr 26, 2018 02:28AM) (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments I'm also praying this book is not a disaster because I have the next two books in the series *face palm* God knows what I was thinking when I one-clicked those books.

message 7: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments Fingers crossed!

One of my favorite things about audible is they'll let you return a book if you don't like it. I wish amazon did that with kindle books too.

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments This explains probably what happened when I got the other two books in the series...

description

message 9: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments I understand the impulse!

message 10: by Nicole (last edited Apr 26, 2018 07:46AM) (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Got to the end of chapter 17 and the part in the middle...

description

message 11: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments oh dear...

message 12: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments So- is that meme about the latex allergy? That was a bit much!

I still don't get him. He acts like he cares so much about women because of his mom and sister but then he treats women terribly- like they are disposable and he gets cockier when they react badly.

It's like he picks women who are already unstable and then pushes them over the edge and acts surprised when there is backlash! And that whole part is so over the top- his place was vandalized like 4 times? And someone tried to commit suicide after sleeping with him? And he takes all of that to mean he's a sex god? What an ass.

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Yeah. I cringed hard when he gave her an examination. I guess it's a benefit of dating a doctor?

I'm not liking Cannon either. He is an ass and treats women abominably. I'll continue today and hopefully finish.

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments I got to the end of chapter 27. And again with the lack of communication. Argh! I'm over this book and this author. And Allie really did overreact.

message 15: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments I agree, Allie seems like a jerk.

I'm almost done. It's not as bad as the last one... but that isn't saying much.

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments I'll be finish soon as well.

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Argh! End of chapter 31. So many assumptions! And Allie is actually a bitch.

message 18: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments I just finished. At least it was short!

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments I also just finished. Wasn't the greatest but not as bad as The Fix Up. Allie was a shitty best friend. And Paige was also a wimp. Not using her brain.

message 20: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments Allie was so bossy and a definitely a bad best friend. I don't think anyone in the book was using their brain.

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments I gave it two stars. I can't believe I have two more books in this series. I'm an idiot. They're going to the bottom of the TBR pile.

message 22: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments Maybe they get better!

message 23: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments Are we picking another book?

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Yes! What did you have in mind?

message 25: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments Have you read I've Got Your Number? It was picked for me this month and I'd like to finish it before April is over, but it's too expensive on audio so I'll be reading the ebook, which will take longer than usual - I don't have as much time for actual reading - but I can listen much of the day.

message 26: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments It's a bit pricey for me 🙈 Going from dollars to my currency is brutal at times.

message 27: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments We can pick something else- anything you want to read before the month is up?

message 29: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments We could read Blackwood. It's easier to get through a book if someone is reading with you :)

If not, how about the first on the list?

message 30: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Can we start with Blackwood then? You'd be helping me out big time.

message 31: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments Let's do it! Start today or tomorrow?

message 32: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Tomorrow :) I'm off to bed 😴

message 33: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments Goodnight!

message 34: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments I listened to the first four chapters of Blackwood, interesting start. She's clearly headed for trouble. And her professor is awful!

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments I got to the end of chapter 3. Yeah. Her professor is disgusting! Clearly whatever she needs to discover at Blackwood is important enough for her to subject herself to that. I'll continue today in between teaching :)

message 36: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments I got to the end of chapter 7. I just about died! I don't like horrors or thrillers. And that chapter made my heart rate pick up. I want to shake and throttle Elise. Dumb, dumb, dumb. First rule of haunted houses/areas: don't go traipsing by yourself!

message 37: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Got to the end of chapter 11 and this is turning out to be slow and methodical storyline. I wish Garrett's POV was written as well. Elise has made herself a detective and is going off halfcocked. Running on a treadmill, packing supplies and forging a signature is not planning for the unknown. She's far too brazen for my liking.

As for Garrett I am intrigued. I want to know more. Why is he basically living in mausoleum of sorts? What happened to his family? Why is he a recluse?

message 38: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Got to the end of chapter 14 and wow. Just wow.

We've never discussed it before, but you don't have any triggers or topics you don't like in books?

message 39: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments It would help if I read the Author's Note on the blurb 🙈 I read it so long ago that I forgot.

message 40: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments I don't really like horror, but suspense is ok. Is this more horror? I haven't gotten too far.

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments More suspense. But my mind automatically thinks horror.

There are certain kinks in this book. Not everyone would be ok with them.

message 42: by Michaele (last edited Apr 29, 2018 08:46AM) (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments Oh. The blurb only mentions "dark themes."

Is it all consensual? I'm usually ok if it is consensual.

message 43: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments To take a line out of the book: “It’s best described as consensual non-consent.”

message 44: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments I just got to chapter 15. I think the blurb definitely should have a trigger warning.

message 45: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Garrett definitely has a serious kink. But it lessens somewhat with Elise.

Elise...do you think she’s got Stockholm syndrome? Or do you think she’s genuinely falling for him?

You ok to finish the book?

message 46: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments If you are ok to, so am I. Though I will likely skim the sex scenes.

Maybe it's a combination, Stockholm syndrome and affection? That's probably not possible. I don't know. Her asking him to cuddle was ... odd?

message 47: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments I made it to chapter 25, she's not very smart.

I'll likely finish soon.

message 48: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4753 comments Finished.

It wasn't as dark as I thought it'd be, I didn't end up needing to skim.

What'd you think?

message 49: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Just finished. It wasn't as dark as I thought it would be. I wasn't a fan of Elise. She was on this crusade and making all kinds of stupid decisions. Like surely if you find a mass grave you call in the FBI and not undergrads to help you? The fact that she thought she could do that was stupid. Also, she sustained one too many injuries during the whole book. Her leg, being shot etc and she still manages to walk and all that. I find that implausible. I wanted more about Garrett. I don't know what....just more.

I figured something was up with the Lodge when they said it was only for men...that alone made it suspicious.

I gave it three stars.

message 50: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments And thank-you for helping me to finish this! It's been on my TBR pile since forever and I started and stopped it numerous times. Finally, it's done.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 31 32