Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The Chalk Man
This topic is about The Chalk Man
Archive - Group Reads > Chalk Man, The by C.J. Tudor - May 2018

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Apr 25, 2018 08:55AM) (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor and your hostess is Nicole.

Please note that our discussion can be about any and all aspects of the book: The theme, plot, story structure, characters, settings, etc. It is likely the discussion will contacts spoilers from the start. If you have not finished the book, be careful not to read the posts of others until the end.

Feel free to use spoiler formatting, instructions are in the upper right above the comment box.

Summary

You can feel it in the woods, in the school and in the playground; you can feel it in the houses and at the fairground. You can feel it in most places in the small town of Anderbury... the fear that something or someone is watching you.

It began back in 1986, at the fair, on the day of the accident. That was when twelve-year-old Eddie met Mr Halloran - the Chalk Man.

He gave Eddie the idea for the drawings: a way to leave secret messages for his friends and it was fun, until the chalk men led them to a body.

Thirty years later, Ed believes the past is far behind him, until an envelope slips through the letterbox. It contains a stick of chalk, and a drawing of a figure.

Is history going to repeat itself?

Was it ever really over?

Will this game only end in the same way?

message 2: by Kirsten (last edited Apr 25, 2018 09:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 30 comments I started this recently and have been enjoying it very much.

Denise Mullins | 516 comments I am awaiting notification from my library that it is ready for pick up. Looking forward to joining the group's discussion.

message 4: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
I started on this this morning.

message 5: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - added it

Icewineanne | 680 comments Mod
I’m ‘booked’ until the last half of the month Nicole, but I’ll follow along with the comments & hopefully catch up with everyone towards the end of the month.
Enjoy, everyone!

Tonya Mathis | 75 comments Just finished it. Really liked it.

Nicole Fitton | 14 comments Hello you lovely bunch!
I’m Nicole and will be the moderator for The Chalk Man.
Looks like everyone is off to a flying start. Fingers crossed those waiting for library copies get them soon. May is almost upon us so please post your comments as and when you can. I’ll check back in a few days, until then happy reading!
Nicole

Sandy | 64 comments Really enjoyed it. It's a great combination of haunting & creepy with a side of nostalgia.

Anna | 167 comments I have just got my copy so will start it this evening.

Nadine Vansant | 45 comments Murder so faul... a missing head.... youngsters.... nothing is what it seemed to be... (made me think of another book) but it reads very easily and at the end, when a lot of people died, you see it coming who did it. But it doesn't matter because it's part of the book/game.

Denise Mullins | 516 comments Should be able to begin within the next day or two. From all the previous comments, I'm truly looking forward to this.

message 12: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 167 comments I am enjoying this. It's a fast read and very gripping.

Beth  (techeditor) | 1011 comments I read this. Here's what I thought.

THE CHALK MAN is a good book. But it has been overly praised. You will enjoy the book more if you don't let all of the five-star reviews set your expectations too high. I gave it four stars, myself.

Probably it's the end of THE CHALK MAN that grabs so many great reviews. Although the reader knows already that a certain character is flawed, the ending italicizes and boldfaces "flawed."

I thought this end was funny, though. I know the author did not intend this reaction. But see if you don't agree with me.

Anupama C K(b0rn_2_read)  (b0rn_2_read) | 2 comments Having mixed emotions about the book. The air of mystery was good, but I didn't enjoy it so much.

Amanda Williams | 4 comments I want to read this this month have had it since it was released

Nicole Fitton | 14 comments I have just finished reading this book and I really enjoyed it. I'm glad I didn't read all the 'hype' as that may have influenced my expectations. I found the characters believable and I loved the settings (1986, 2016). I found it UK centric which was refreshing. The backstories of the supporting characters were original they showed a true reflection of life. Touching on weighty issues such as abortion, child abuse and dementia is not easy, the author tackled these really well. I won't ruin it for you here but I did not guess the ending, did you? Who was your favourite character? Outside of Eddie mine was his mum.

Ninna | 32 comments Okay, I haven't read any of the comments yet because my hold just came through today (YAY!) so I'm starting the book now and hope to join in on the chat soon!

Denise Mullins | 516 comments Just started yesterday, and so far, it's a very engaging easy read.

Ninna | 32 comments Just finished this and I really loved it! I didn't have any prior knowledge of the book and came to it completely blank and found it an easy read with engaging characters. I didn't see the ending coming so it was nice to be surprised by the twist. It was definitely chock full of deep, complex issues but I agree with Nicole that it was all handled well. And I always love anything set in England because I'm just a shameless Anglophile.

message 20: by Talchic7 (new) - added it

Talchic7 | 1 comments Just starting this book!! I have not read any of the reviews so i have no expectations.

Shannon (shannondisbell) | -113 comments i read this last year since i won a advince copy i really loved this book so much i couldnt put it down

https://shannonbooks197.livejournal.c...

Nicole Fitton | 14 comments So far most people seem to be finding The Chalkman a positive experience which is great. Has anyone felt frustrated or not as engaged?

Denise Mullins | 516 comments I've read about a third of the book so fa,r and while it's not as riveting as I had anticipated, I'm enjoying the author's ability to build up some scary and uncomfortable imagery without getting graphic.

message 24: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica | 46 comments Still waiting to get this book from the library, there is still one person ahead of me and I hope to get the book on time to at least to be able to read it before the end of May.

message 25: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 167 comments I have finished this now and really enjoyed it. It's very accomplished for a debut author with just the right amount of creepiness. I will definitely read more of her books when she writes them.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 26: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) I finished that book and it was good

Karen Smith | 2 comments I enjoyed this book! I thought the author did a good job developing the characters but still keeping us guessing about who was actually dead and who the real killer was. Very engaging and a little creepy at times. I was a bit confused at the end and had to go back and read it over again. Overall, well done.

message 28: by Judith (new)

Judith Janeway (judithjaneway) | 6 comments I just got the book from the library so I’m a little late to the discussion, but am looking forward to getting into it this weekend. Judith Janeway

Denise Mullins | 516 comments Just finished the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. This was the equivalent of mystery/suspense comfort food to me. The alternating chapters' shifting points of view from Eddie as a naïve adolescent to a troubled middle-aged alcoholic were realistically developed. Moreover, there was enough creepy buildup in scenes to keep me interested.
Sure, there were some revelations that proved to hold minimal surprise, but that made the real surprises all the more enjoyable. I would highly recommend this one to anyone looking for a satisfying good old-fashioned who-dun-it with some modern flair.

Ninna | 32 comments Denise wrote: " I would highly recommend this one to anyone looking for a satisfying good old-fashioned who-dun-it with some modern flair."

That's exactly how I felt about it. I just happened to read The Flight Attendant and The Woman in the Window back-to-back right before this book (just because that's how my holds came through from the library) and they were both told in the unreliable narrator POV which I do enjoy but found a difficult to read 2 in a row. So, this book felt like an "old-fashioned who-dunnit" compared to those two books (which were still good). Almost felt like getting into a nice, warm bubble bath - if reading about about creepy killers can be compared to that without seeming psychotic. lol!

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 30 comments I really enjoyed this book. At first, I thought it was one type of book, and then it turned into another. But a very satisfying read.

message 32: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I started reading yesterday because the most reviews were promesing. I will let tou know what i thought about it.

message 33: by Wend (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wend (wends) | 23 comments Really enjoyed the book, although having seen all the rave reviews I was expecting a bit more. It is a really good book

Summer (paradisecity) | 37 comments Nicole wrote: "So far most people seem to be finding The Chalkman a positive experience which is great. Has anyone felt frustrated or not as engaged?"

I was a bit frustrated with the book. The bulk of it was a fun and interesting read, but characters' motivations seemed to be barely sketched in. The reasons everyone stayed in their hometown wasn't well supported and while it was convenient for the plot, it left something to be desired with characterization.

And then I got to the end, which mostly ruined the book for me. I have little patience for authors who can't write a psychologically consistent character, and the twist at the end just didn't hold water for me at all. i'll probably give the author another try in the future because I did like a lot of their writing, but that ending was not nearly as powerful as the author probably thought it was.

message 35: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
I found this an easy read that captivated me due to the number of threads woven throughout the story. For a while it seemed like there were so many loose end that they could never be resolved. In the end they came together neatly.

I wasn't crazy about the revelation at the end with regards to the victim's head.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 30 comments Wend wrote: "Really enjoyed the book, although having seen all the rave reviews I was expecting a bit more. It is a really good book"

I expected it to have more of a horror theme. But still enjoyed it very much.

Nicole Fitton | 14 comments I agree with you Gem, the ‘head’ revelation at the end didn’t sit well with me either. How’s everyone coming along?

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1288 comments In really enjoying this. I'm more than half way through.

Alexandrazk | 5 comments well we have to admit that pretty much we all knew who took the victims head. but don't you agree that the little chalk humans could make the difference if they were a little more "active" in the story.?let's say for an example that they could be alive or something. that they can manipulate the characters somehow. it would have been way more interesting!!! 😁

Denise Mullins | 516 comments Alexandrazk wrote: "well we have to admit that pretty much we all knew who took the victims head. but don't you agree that the little chalk humans could make the difference if they were a little more "active" in the s..."
On a whole, I felt that the appearance of the little men was not used effectively. In contrast,one of Conan Doyle's stories used such figures in a manner that truly created a mysterious and compelling symbol.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1288 comments I haven't figured it out yet.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 30 comments Alexandrazk wrote: "well we have to admit that pretty much we all knew who took the victims head. but don't you agree that the little chalk humans could make the difference if they were a little more "active" in the s..."

We did?

Alexandrazk | 5 comments Linda wrote: "I haven't figured it out yet."
so sorry for the spoil then! :/

Alexandrazk | 5 comments Kirsten wrote: "We did?"

well you see repeatedly in the story that Eddie likes to collect little things from everywhere he goes. A ring, a photograph everything. Even at the accident at the park, he took the ring (i think it was a ring) from that poor girl.So when you see at the first pages that he picks up the head and takes it away, and its an image that you cant forget, when you continue read the story and you see all his behaviour you understand it. Its like a connection. I mean who else would had take it?

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 30 comments Never noticed all those connections...