Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Writer's Corner > ✵Writers: Let's chat about the Fae in our novels

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kiersten, Mod (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 509 comments Mod
Do you have a book with fae or fairies in it? Are they good or bad? What sort of powers do they have?

message 2: by Kiersten, Mod (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 509 comments Mod
Is there anything special about your fae?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a fae in my novel. He's a bronze golem fused with a generic demon and, of course, human. The thing about him is that he's still alive after over 500 years in coma!

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul (modquokka) | 2 comments I have a few Fae in my novel that inhabit the edges of this world in the future. The main one though is Nightjar ... of the trees and in love. One of his powers is music...

I will say no more :)

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 168 comments I have the fair folk - the Tylwyth Teg in Welsh Mythology in my Rune Witch series. Some are good, some bad, but mostly like to cause trouble.

message 6: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Arsenault The fae in my series look a lot like humans, except that they're all very tall and pale and have pointed ears. There are two types of fae: natural born fae and changed fae, which involves former humans transformed into fae through magic. All fae have magic, and almost all natural-born fae have one of seven possible Blessings, which are a specialized form of magic. Changed fae are somewhat less likely to have Blessings and typically have much weaker magic. The humans and fae have coexisted for thousands of years and, in contemporary North America, have a peaceful relationship (at least on paper).

message 7: by Sela (new)

Sela (selacarsen) | 30 comments The fae in my series live on a different "plane," I suppose, and there are different cultures of them. I've been primarily writing about the Rus fae. Lots of folkloric creatures, and because Russian folklore and fairy tales tend toward the dark, I've had to... tweak a few things. Not all my rusalki are man-drowning water demons, for instance. I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to know these stories that aren't super common in romance.

message 8: by Randi (new)

Randi (randipander) | 2 comments The Fae in my series is a twist on the urban legend 'Slenderman'. He is also the leader of the Four Horsemen and ender of worlds.

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard Knaak (richardknaak) | 6 comments My Fae are tall, beautiful/handsome, and generally dark of nature. There are the elves of the court, but there are other creatures of Feiirie, some bestial, some monstrous shadows, but all essentially of the same essence. There can be found good among them, but it's tempered by a Feirie sort of good. Even the main character's two Fae allies --- the elf Kravayik and the shifter Fetch --- have their backgrounds and secrets despite their apparent loyalties to him.

message 10: by Micah (new)

Micah Harris | 3 comments Kiersten wrote: "Do you have a book with fae or fairies in it? Are they good or bad? What sort of powers do they have?" I'm doing a take on Andersen's Snow Queen and Ice Maiden. I'm treating them as elemental beings, using the old tradition that fairies were angels who were locked out of both heaven and earth after Satan's war against God,and so became earthbound spirits. Mine are evil, demonic even, and, following Andersen's lead in The Ice Maiden, capable of lusting after a man. However, I've added my own caveat that they have to beware of true affection being aroused in them by humans, or their fate will make the Little Mermaid's look like a walk on the beach.

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne Schlea | 32 comments I always said I wouldn't write fae, and then one day - there they were. So far, I acknowledge they live in the "Other" (a different plane), but we haven't met them. One of my characters exists in the Other - I'm hoping she'll make a return trip to this plane to tell us about them one day soon.

message 12: by Micah (new)

Micah Harris | 3 comments Richard wrote: "My Fae are tall, beautiful/handsome, and generally dark of nature. There are the elves of the court, but there are other creatures of Feiirie, some bestial, some monstrous shadows, but all essentia..."
"Kravayik" and "Fetch" are great names for your characters!

message 13: by Micah (new)

Micah Harris | 3 comments Anne wrote: "I always said I wouldn't write fae, and then one day - there they were. So far, I acknowledge they live in the "Other" (a different plane), but we haven't met them. One of my characters exists in t..."
"The Other" is a good tag for the fairy plane. I think it's fascinating that the Celts believed our world is sort of "pocketed" with other dimensional realms. It sounds a little bit like contemporary theoretical physics!