Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Writer's Corner > ✵Writers: Let's chat about the Dragons in our novels

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kiersten, Mod (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 509 comments Mod
Are you writing a novel with dragons in it? Are they good or evil? Can they shift into humans? Is there anything unique about your dragons?

message 2: by Kiersten, Mod (new)

Is there anything special about your Dragons?

message 3: by J.F. (last edited Apr 26, 2018 02:44PM) (new)

J.F. Holland (jfholland) | 55 comments My dragon is a shifter and has chameleon capabilities, hence being able to hide in plain site. He owns a lap bar and helps the other immortals out in Lunaton when they have problems. He's yet to go into the fae realm again from where he came, even though they have a dream demon (fallen angel) who comes and goes from the fae realm through portals as it runs parallel to earth.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I only have one dragon in my novel... and she's in human form.

message 5: by Sela (new)

Sela (selacarsen) | 30 comments I literally only wrote the first words of the first book in a new series today, and my hero is a dragon shifter of Russian heritage. He might be a "bad boy," but he's a good man. :) And I'm enough of a pantser that I *think* he can open portals between the fae and the mundane world, but I'm not positive yet.

message 6: by Kiersten, Mod (new)

J.F. Your dragon's chameleon capabilities sound intriguing. What is one way he's utilized this gift and can he only us it in dragon form?

Amelia, is there anything more you can tell me about your lady dragon in human form? :)

Sela, bad boy/good man? My favorite kind. Can I ask why you decided on Russian heritage?

message 7: by R.S. (new)

R.S. Merritt | 30 comments Giant worms from another dimension. Infinite number of dimensions = something is out there that lines up with all of our nightmares. They get here via "wyrm holes" See what I did there? :-)

message 8: by Kiersten, Mod (last edited May 01, 2018 09:08AM) (new)

A while back, I started a story that followed the royal dragon family that appears late in my scifi/PNR romance series. I got several chapters into it, about 8 I believe, and then put it aside to work on more pressing things.

I always intended to go back to it, but haven't yet. I think this is the year to dust it off and finish it.

They are sifters who live on another planet with some unique creatures. However, they still hold a human form.

message 9: by Sela (new)

Sela (selacarsen) | 30 comments Kiersten wrote: "Sela, bad boy/good man? My favorite kind. Can I ask why you decided on Russian heritage? "

I'm fascinated by it. I got hooked on Russian fairy tales and folklore a few years ago, then started incorporating it into a shared world series I'm part of (Nocturne Falls Universe). Now I just don't want to let go! I'm always interested in playing with the stories that aren't so common, and this fit perfectly.

message 10: by Kristal (new)

Kristal Taylor (brilliant50) | 156 comments I was hoping everyone would put the name of there books. I love dragons. They’re my fav. Please put the name of your books here.
Thanks. Kristal

message 11: by J.F. (new)

J.F. Holland (jfholland) | 55 comments Kiersten wrote: "J.F. Your dragon's chameleon capabilities sound intriguing. What is one way he's utilized this gift and can he only us it in dragon form?

Amelia, is there anything more you can tell me about your ..."

He's just beginning to show his powers, there are others too, but he's part of an immortal PNR serial and been pretty much in the background. So far, he's only shown it in dragon form... but who knows.

He utilises it when flying in the human realm to go undetected as not exactly small.

message 12: by Sela (new)

Sela (selacarsen) | 30 comments Kristal wrote: "I was hoping everyone would put the name of there books. I love dragons. They’re my fav. Please put the name of your books here.
Thanks. Kristal"

Kristal, mine's still a work in progress, but I'll happily let y'all know when it's ready for publication!

message 13: by Marsha (new)

Marsha Ramnanan | 8 comments In Dragon Prince by Claudia Knight
Mael Drago is son of the dragon Elyrra with the essence of the human mage Tal Amera. The book starts where he has been cursed into the form of a stone dragon and is on a pedestal in a museum. His mother has voluntarily taken the form of a malachite dragon in preparation for the day when he awakes and they can both finally have revenge on Tal Amera.

The Dragons of this world were good, but their time has gone and the Order of the Dragons is seeking to bring about their restoration in some way. They're mainly gone because humanity chose to fear them and destroyed most of them.

Special powers for both: dragons are inherently magickal and can cast all manner of spells. They have less limitations than humans, since they are stronger physically and otherwise.
They can also shift their forms, taking on not just the appearance of the thing they are imitating but a lot of their attributes as well. Size is not a limitation and they can be as large or as small as they choose to be.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim Stein (jimsteinbooks) | 14 comments In "Strange Tidings" I have Uktena, the Horned Serpent from Native American folklore. In my series, Uktena can take on different aspects: Dragon, Giant serpent, or a hybrid (all with horns of course...and magic).

He's and ancient godlike being unduly interested in the affairs of the main characters and that role increases significantly in book 2 (Strange Omens, not yet published).
Strange Tidings Strange Tidings: Legends Walk book 1 by Jim Stein

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Amelia, is there anything more you can tell me about your lady dragon in human form? :)

She's a fortune teller who lives in isolation from the world. Her human appearance makes her young but she's over 1000 years old.

message 16: by Kristal (new)

Kristal Taylor (brilliant50) | 156 comments Thanks Sela I’m looking forward to reading your book.

message 17: by J.F. (last edited May 03, 2018 09:48AM) (new)

J.F. Holland (jfholland) | 55 comments Sela wrote: "Kristal wrote: "I was hoping everyone would put the name of there books. I love dragons. They’re my fav. Please put the name of your books here.
Thanks. Kristal"

Kristal, mine's still a work in p..."

Kristal, mines just part of a serial which has shifters and other immortals in. It all has to be read in order as the story continues throughout. It was recently classed a a PNR soap.

If you want to check them out it's called The Bound Series.
Moon Sworn is Book 1
Bound by the Moon is Book 2
Fire in the Moon, Book 3
Light up the Moon, Book 4
Magic in the Moon, book 5
New Moon, Book 6 is due out May 25th

I also have a spin off Immortal Dating Site Serial and book One is Immortal Flame, it's the vamp from the Bound Series, just a tongue in cheek swipe at him. If you read the Bound Series, this book needs to be read after Light up the Moon and before Magic in The Moon.