Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Writer's Corner > ✵Writers: Let's chat about Magic in our novels

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kiersten, Mod (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 508 comments Mod
Are you writing any books with magic, witches, mages, or warlocks in your novels? Are they good or evil? What are your characters powers? What is the price for using magic?

message 2: by Kiersten, Mod (new)

Is there anything special about your magical world?

message 3: by J.F. (last edited Apr 26, 2018 01:57AM) (new)

J.F. Holland (jfholland) | 55 comments I've had a mix of good and bad in mine, blood magic, and also healers, empaths who use runes, herbs and candles in their spells. They even help make up ward and protection spells to be tattooed.

message 4: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 6 comments My Daughter of Magic series and my standalone, Legacy, features witches, magic and warlocks. The warlock is evil. The witches are both good and evil. Powers vary depending on the person using them. I've got a reverse empathy, telekinetic, and others.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

The magic in Legacy of Dolyn is very simple. There's white magic, black magic, element spells, and non-element spells.

As far as element spells go, there are 4 of them. Obviously these 4 represent the 4 elements of nature (fire, water/ice, earth/lighting, wind). Non-element spells include things like psychic powers since they come from the mind, lol.

message 6: by Errin (new)

Errin Stevens (errintevens) | 97 comments Kiersten wrote: "Are you writing any books with magic, witches, mages, or warlocks in your novels? Are they good or evil? What are your characters powers? What is the price for using magic?"

I don't include straight-up "magic," but my sirens are so intuitive they can accomplish a brand of mind reading; and they can influence human thoughts and emotions.

message 7: by Romarin (last edited Apr 26, 2018 06:15PM) (new)

Romarin Demetri (romarindemetri) | 13 comments This is an awesome thread! Magical rules are my favorite. I write about witches, and from the begining, dark magic is dicussed as a shortcut, and sources of energy are pulled from the earth as well as alternate planes of existence and dimensions. I have an elemental basis, but powers grow and change with characters. The character developement is what makes magic so special. <3

message 8: by Kiersten, Mod (new)

Fascinating how magic is portrayed so differently in all your novels.

J.F., can anyone master all your different types of magic?

Teresa, are your characters born with magic or do they have to learn to use it?

Amelia, can your characters use more than one elemental magic?

Errin, Sirens use a form of magic, I suppose. Are those the main magical creatures in your novels?

Romarin, you say the character development shapes the magic. Would you say its influenced more by nurture rather than nature?

message 9: by R.S. (new)

R.S. Merritt | 29 comments Magic is the ability to manipulate the forces that are all around us. Some people are born with more potential than others to manipulate it. Where do chants and stuff come from? People watching wizards who have formalized how they focus to manipulate those elements. Runes and charms? Bind the elemental forces that are pre-forced on a spot to perform a certain action. Never start a series that revolves around magic without making sure you understand your own rules around it first. Otherwise the readers will never believe it either. I think Magic has to make sense. A lot more theory where that came from in my principles of magic book :-) I've put way too much thought into this topic!

message 10: by Kiersten, Mod (new)

True, R.S, if you're going to have magic in your novels, best understand and stick to the rules in the world you've created.

Generally, magic comes at a price.

What is the price for your characters use of magic?

message 11: by Errin (new)

Errin Stevens (errintevens) | 97 comments R.S. wrote: "Magic is the ability to manipulate the forces that are all around us. Some people are born with more potential than others to manipulate it. Where do chants and stuff come from? People watching wiz..."

Yep, sirens are my only magical creatures, although my human companions pick up a few tricks via prolonged cohabitation. And as another quirk, my romantic heroes are sirens, not the chicks they stalk!

message 12: by Sela (new)

Sela (selacarsen) | 30 comments Up to now, I haven't developed a whole system of magic for my books because each character has their own brand of it, based on the culture/mythology they come from. It's all been a blend.

The current wip/series is going to be fully immersed in one culture, so I'm feeling out the rules as I go.

message 13: by Kiersten, Mod (new)

Errin wrote: "R.S. wrote: "Magic is the ability to manipulate the forces that are all around us. Some people are born with more potential than others to manipulate it. Where do chants and stuff come from? People..."

The men are the sirens? That's different. Do they traditionally sing to lure women to them?

message 14: by Errin (new)

Errin Stevens (errintevens) | 97 comments Oh yeah! There are female sirens, too, but my romances thus far have focused on a male siren wooing a human female. But yes, all sirens are captivated by the soul-drenching evocations of humans, especially in the more emotionally conductive environment of the water, and they sing in their BEST voices to try and get humans to join them for a swim. :-)

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited May 02, 2018 02:50PM) (new)

"Amelia, can your characters use more than one elemental magic?"

Of course, they use more than one. They need to have all types at their disposal in case one works better over the other (depends on the situation, though.)

message 16: by J.F. (new)

J.F. Holland (jfholland) | 55 comments Kiersten wrote: "True, R.S, if you're going to have magic in your novels, best understand and stick to the rules in the world you've created.

Generally, magic comes at a price.

What is the price for your charac..."

For my witches, one is a healer as well as an empath, when someone immortal that shouldn't die, does, they tend to rush to her. It hits her for six as she feels everything they felt and it weakens her. One is also very good at picking up on another's magic footprint, her speciality is protection and cloaking. For this, she has no major issues.

As both heal, I used a combination of runes, candles and magic... I spoke to a few wiccans and had them check out the spells, herbs and runes I used in the scenes. So, energy or lack there of after is a big downside, but with a bit of rest, a cleanse and herbal teas they bounce back.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim Stein (jimsteinbooks) | 14 comments Strange Tidings Main characters use elemental magic focused through music (Rock, alternative, the songs of power). Not everyone has this power, only the few descendants of supernatural beings. The elements of Fire, Spirit, Earth, and Water all have different costs. Elder spirits and Evil characters come from Native American Folklore and don't necessarily have the same costs, but they do have other constraints.

message 18: by David (new)

David Craig | 7 comments The magic in the world introduced by Resurrection Men is quite 'low' and earthy. There is no throwing fire or lightning bolts. Magickers occupy every rung of society, though many are on the fringes.

Diviners can find things if they have a link, i.e if a diviner has a sample of a person's blood, they can trace that person.

Scribes are tattooists who can tattoo spells and glyphs onto a person. Most spells require an element mixed into the ink; i.e a glyph to make someone immune to vampire mesmerisation requires vampire blood. A glyph mixed with animal blood gives the person temporary traits of that animal if they activate the spell by cutting through the tattoo.

Necromancers: They can commune with the dead, either temporarily returning a soul to its body briefly, or by putting the soul into the body of another, preferably a child. This would leave the child mad. They can also raise corpses as controlled zombis, though to raise a group of zombis requires a large sacrifice to power the spell. The most powerful necromancers can be come liches, turning an item into a phylactery for their soul upon death. Their soul can then possess another body, dispossessing that body's native soul. Necromancers are not tolerated, even vampires killing them on sight.

Hidden markets operate as communal gathering places for magickers, letting them advertise their services and purchase necessary ingredients.