Global Warming and Animal Rights discussion

Eco Products > Natural Pest Control

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn | 79 comments In the book The Mom's Guide to Growing Your Family Green Saving the Earth Begins at Home, page 123, the author provides a recipe for a homemade nontoxic bug spray:

"Mix in a spray bottle:
1/4 cup eco-friendly liquid soap
2 T hot pepper sauce (the hottest you can find)
3 diced garlic cloves
1 c water"

Caution! Protect your eyes.

message 2: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn | 79 comments Other forms of natural pest control from The Mom's Guide... are:

Adding strong-scented flowers, herbs and other plants like lavender, marigold, rosemary, sweet basil, garlic and onions to the garden/yard.

message 3: by Kayla (last edited Aug 14, 2009 04:12PM) (new)

Kayla | 146 comments Mod
Kathrynn wrote: "Other forms of natural pest control from The Mom's Guide... are:

Adding strong-scented flowers, herbs and other plants like lavender, marigold, rosemary, sweet basil, garlic and onions to the gard..."

Do you add them in a spray form?

message 4: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn | 79 comments ✿Mattie✿ wrote: "Kathrynn wrote: "Other forms of natural pest control from The Mom's Guide... are:

Adding strong-scented flowers, herbs and other plants like lavender, marigold, rosemary, sweet basil, garlic and o..."

I don't think so, Mattie. I believe the author meant planting them around house. Marigolds help deter pesky mosquitos...stuff like that.

message 5: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 146 comments Mod
Oh... okay then. :-)

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 3 comments If you want to keep mosquitoes and the like out of the house and away from you BBQ's you could also try citronella candles. I use them all the time as I rent and don't have a lot of outdoor space for planters etc and they work really well and smell nice too

message 7: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn | 79 comments Good to know. I've never tried them because I thought the smell would dissipate quickly into the outside air. Do you have to have a lot of them to be effective?

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 3 comments I tend to use various sized ones depending what I'm doing, if I just want to have my windows open a little tealight style one works very well but I do have larger ones if I'm sitting outside (especially if there's food around). They seem to work fine as long as the candle is burning and they last just as long as normal candles so we use them for the light as well as the pest control. We've got some quite decorative ones in little metal buckets which look nice lit or unlit. The gardens centres here have good ranges of them now.

message 9: by Dapplenose (new)

Dapplenose Kathrynn wrote: "In the book The Mom's Guide to Growing Your Family Green Saving the Earth Begins at Home, page 123, the author provides a recipe for a homemade nontoxic bug spray:

"Mix in a spra..."

interesting. we just got a pest control stuff. i was kinda uncomfortable about eating something with pesticide that's suposed to kill any bugs that eat it absorbed inside it.

message 10: by Dapplenose (new)

Dapplenose is there any "right" time to apply this homemade pesticide?

message 11: by Kathrynn (last edited Apr 26, 2010 05:10AM) (new)

Kathrynn | 79 comments Dapplenose, it's not a recipe to eat. It's a recipe to kill bugs, using those ingredients in lieu of store bought stuff.

Thanks for the info on the candles, Sam. I'll try them.

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 3 comments Thanks for the info on the candles, Sam. I'll try them."

No problem, I hope they work for you as well as they do for me.

Lexphie (The Animal Lover) | 63 comments They work really well. Also try placing a fan outside where you are they don't like flying into wind